Borussia Dortmund Vs Manchester United

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes we can compare.
One won the EL this season, the other couldn't the year before.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yes we can compare.
One won the EL this season, the other couldn't the year before.

So ManU is better than Tottenham even though Tottenham did better in the league?

A little disingenuous to say ManU is better than Dortmund because they won the EL while Dortmund wasn't in the EL because they were in a superior competition

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
So ManU is better than Tottenham even though Tottenham did better in the league?

A little disingenuous to say ManU is better than Dortmund because they won the EL while Dortmund wasn't in the EL because they were in a superior competition

He didn't say that. cgf basically wrote off Dortmund's loss to Liverpool because they didn't need it to qualify for CL. It's a meh tourney they didnt need.

Funny they didn't feel that way on the 1st leg.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He didn't say that. cgf basically wrote off Dortmund's loss to Liverpool because they didn't need it to qualify for CL. It's a meh tourney they didnt need.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

I think it's unfair to compare how two teams did in a tournament in different years of the tournament. That's all I meant by my comment. And since you can't compare in the same year - last year - because ManU was in the lesser competition, it seems hard to hold up the EL as a credit for ManU.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think Dortmund have caught up significantly in terms of fan support but they're still behind Man United on that front. On the pitch, Dortmund have overall been a tad more successful the last few years in their domestic league though Man United did just win the Europa League. And before we belittle that, Dortmund would certainly celebrate that title as a major success, which I suppose shows the gap between the clubs.

I think Manchester United are among the top 5 clubs in the world overall. Dortmund would be in the top 20.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think Dortmund have caught up significantly in terms of fan support but they're still behind Man United on that front. On the pitch, Dortmund have overall been a tad more successful the last few years in their domestic league though Man United did just win the Europa League. And before we belittle that, Dortmund would certainly celebrate that title as a major success, which I suppose shows the gap between the clubs.

I think Manchester United are among the top 5 clubs in the world overall. Dortmund would be in the top 20.

Would Dortmund celebrate that any more than United did? I'm not so sure. Dortmund was in the CL final more recently

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I doubt they'd celebrate it more than they celebrated winning the cup over Bayern.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Man I hope these teams get a chance to go head to head this year so we can put this to rest. Though I have a feeling ManU could win two legs against BVB and Dortmund fans would still find a reason to claim they were better.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
You may like Bosz's style better than Mourinho, but come on with him being the superior manager.

No one was enthusiastic about that hire after Tuchel left.

I've been following Bosz for a couple years now and I was certainly enthusiastic about it if you discount the disappointment that Tuchel was fired after a successful season.

Man I hope these teams get a chance to go head to head this year so we can put this to rest. Though I have a feeling ManU could win two legs against BVB and Dortmund fans would still find a reason to claim they were better.

I have a feeling that ManU could again find a way to finish 5th in their league and their fans would again claim next summer that next year is finally the year they are better than BVB again. Why? Because it has happened every summer lately.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I have a feeling that ManU could again find a way to finish 5th in their league and their fans would again claim next summer that next year is finally the year they are better than BVB again. Why? Because it has happened every summer lately.

You shouldn't put that much focus on last season's final position because as soon as the EL final place was secured, United gave **** all about the league. :laugh:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You shouldn't put that much focus on last season's final position because as soon as the EL final place was secured, United gave **** all about the league. :laugh:

Are you serious?

You mean the three games they played after the EL semi?

EL or no EL nothing that suggests Utd were better than the 6th best team in England last season.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

In fairness Jussi, they were out of top 4 well before that.

We drew Swansea on April 30th, which all but knocked us out. EL final wasn't secured till May 11th.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Post-Ferguson United is not a special team anymore.

That doesn't change that they are a brand and they have infinity money, but they clearly aren't the same without him.

Man U was Ferguson. Now they are FC Raiola. They are a sugar daddy club.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Post-Ferguson United is not a special team anymore.

That doesn't change that they are a brand and they have infinity money, but they clearly aren't the same without him.

Man U was Ferguson. Now they are FC Raiola. They are a sugar daddy club.

No club would be the "same" post Ferguson.

They are not the first team to struggle after the main man retires or moves on. It is just a matter of time before they are fighting for PL and CL titles again.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

They are not the first team to struggle after the main man retires or moves on. It is just a matter of time before they are fighting for PL and CL titles again.

Or until people have forgotten that they used to be regular champions and they've gone the way of LFC.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Or until people have forgotten that they used to be regular champions and they've gone the way of LFC.

They make too much more money.

Financially Liverpool is the 5th biggest club in England. Longer term just not comparable.

Not sure if it is true, but paying Lingard 100k a week isn´t helping Utd, but still... just unavoidable when you are close to breaking the world transfer record every single summer that you will achieve something at some point (they can just as easily pay a 100m again for someone next summer and the next etc.).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They make too much more money.

Financially Liverpool is the 5th biggest club in England. Longer term just not comparable.

Not sure if it is true, but paying Lingard 100k a week isn´t helping Utd, but still... just unavoidable when you are close to breaking the world transfer record every single summer that you will achieve something at some point (they can just as easily pay a 100m again for someone next summer and the next etc.).

I'm sure that in their heyday Liverpool were richer than 5th in england. If United can't start to win things by the end of the decade people will start forgetting that they used to matter.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I'm sure that in their heyday Liverpool were richer than 5th in england. If United can't start to win things by the end of the decade people will start forgetting that they used to matter.

Not really all that relevant. Pool would have won more in recent years if you didn´t have oil money etc. coming in to play. The same way the traditional clubs in Germany would have had a harder time with more Leipzigs (not saying it is a good thing - just the way it is with teams like City and Chelsea).

Also for many of the years with the same top 4 year after year in England Liverpool were up against some brilliant teams that also did well in Europe (Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal). Among those 4 Liverpool were always little brother. They were a bit unlucky that they were up against some almost generational teams.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Football has changed a whole lot since Liverpool glory days. Money was much less important then.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Liverpool also had the most money back then and regularly broke transfer records. Obviously that's not happening anymore.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Of course no one would be the same, but it's a fact that cannot be overlooked. Players used to go to united to be in a Ferguson project. Now they just go for the paycheck. Their culture has taken a hit. Which would obviously always happen but Mourinho is a divisive figure himself. Luckily for man united they have their checkbook because all they can do now is buy their way out of it. Which may work but they are getting players now because the agents funneling their players their so they can get paid. Their is no post Ferguson history to sell them on. Moyes was a disaster. Van Gaal was a circus and with Mourinho you never know what will happen in year 3 and beyond. That being said, cash is king.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Of course no one would be the same, but it's a fact that cannot be overlooked. Players used to go to united to be in a Ferguson project. Now they just go for the paycheck. Their culture has taken a hit.

No matter how much amount of money was thrown at him, Zlatan would never sign with United if van Gaal was still the manager. Slate him all you want, but Mourinho certainly has his pulls. Plus, he has already delivered two trophies, and his teams are always better in the second season. We're trending upwards as a club under him, which is something no one could claim after LvG/Moyes seasons.

Any comparison to Liverpool is also absurd when United have won more in the last two years than what the scouse have in the last decade or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00