Borussia Dortmund Vs Manchester United

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Good day all. Don't want to hijack the transfer thread anymore so I'll leave this here with a cheeky poll.

Manchester-United-vs-Borussia-Dortmund-Preview-Prediction-22-July-2016.jpg

Will update as I do more research.

Honors

Borussia Dortmund
8 German top flight championships
4 DFB-Pokal/German Cups
5 DFB-Supercup/DFL-Supercups
1 DFB-Ligapokal/German League cup
1 European Cup
1 Uefa Cup Winners Cup
1 Intercontinental Cup
Highest transfer fee: Andre Schurrle £25,500,000
Highest Transfer Fee Received: Henrikh Mkhitaryan -£35,700,000

Manchester United
20 English top flight championships (Record)
12 FA Cups
5 League Cups
21 Charity/Community Shield
3 European Cups
1 Cup Winners Cup
1 Europa League
1 Super Cup
1 Intercontinetal Cup
1 Fifa Club World Cup
4 Ballon d'Or winners (Law, Charlton, Best, Ronaldo)
2 Uefa footballer of the year (Beckham, Ronaldo)
1 Fifa World Player Of The Year (Ronaldo)
Highest Transfer Fee Paid: Paul Pogba - £89,300,000
Highest Transfer Fee Received: Ronaldo -£80,000,000

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
One is clearly better lately

The other is more clearly bigger

Why ask both questions in the same poll or even ask them at all? :dunno:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I think Utd will be better when they get Lukaku and BvB inevitably sell Aubameyang.

Give it a few weeks time.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
There was no debate over who is the bigger club, so including that in the question is indeed "cheeky". Neither club is "bigger & better" right now.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
They've bought far better players than Lukaku in recent windows and it hasn't mattered. :dunno:

True, but need to take it in context.

Lindelof is a massive improvement over Blind/Jones, whoever they've been throwing out there the past season. They're adding the top EPL scorer over the past 5 years and he's still fairly young.

On the other hand, Reus is done for the year, Aubameyang is the Bundesliga's top scorer and he's probably on the move, BvB fired a great coach, etc.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
BVB is better. United is bigger. Which poll option do I vote for?

This. I mean why even ask about bigger? A simple look at their respective revenue tells the story, there is absolutely no question about it.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Don't think it is a given that Dortmund will be better 2017-2018. I would actually be pretty disappointed from Utd's perspective if Utd isn't better come end of season.

Bigger? I would be interested to hear what Dortmund is bigger at except for the stadium. Not a single thing? Average height of the people working in their marketing department?

Not trying to be disrespectful towards a great club like Dortmund, but Utd is in a totally different league in terms of trophies, reputation, popularity, financial muscles etc.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Don't think it is a given that Dortmund will be better 2017-2018. I would actually be pretty disappointed from Utd's perspective if Utd isn't better come end of season.

Bigger? I would be interested to hear what Dortmund is bigger at except for the stadium. Not a single thing? Average height of the people working in their marketing department?

Not trying to be disrespectful towards a great club like Dortmund, but Utd is in a totally different league in terms of trophies, reputation, popularity, financial muscles etc.

Prepare to be disappointed I guess

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
Quite dumb to even ask which is bigger... Borussia better few years but doubt it will last.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Quite dumb to even ask which is bigger... Borussia better few years but doubt it will last.

It's been 5 years and looks unlikely to change next season; BVB have a stronger team, more young talent, a better coach, and better scouts. Watzke could easily f*** it up; but United have a lot of work to do to catch up to BVB on the pitch.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
It's been 5 years since what?

United won a title more recently than Dortmund plus the Europa league which Dortmund choked away despite having a 3-1 away advantage.

More young talent doesn't always equate to success, and I don't understand how a trainer who's only won the second tier of the Dutch league is somehow better than Mourinho.

I do agree that Dortmund has a stronger squad at the moment. But the difference isn't as astronomical as you're making it seem.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
You may like Bosz's style better than Mourinho, but come on with him being the superior manager.

No one was enthusiastic about that hire after Tuchel left.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If you had said Ajax' coach was better than United's a month ago, most here would have laughed.
But since he's signed with BVB, clearly, he's much better now :D

Tbh, I don't know enough about him to make a firm opinion. The tie against Lyon certainly didn't lead me to believe he was special in any way shape or form, but that's a small sample size.
That said, Mourinho isn't special either, contrary to what he believes.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If you had said Ajax' coach was better than United's a month ago, most here would have laughed.
But since he's signed with BVB, clearly, he's much better now :D

Tbh, I don't know enough about him to make a firm opinion. The tie against Lyon certainly didn't lead me to believe he was special in any way shape or form, but that's a small sample size.
That said, Mourinho isn't special either, contrary to what he believes.

Many also laughed when I said Favre was a great coach, or that Tuchel would be a great coach, or Nagelsmann. :dunno:

I just don't rate Mourinho and Bosz has shown me enough to think he could become a highend coach. Not that I think he's great already, just that he's shown me enough to think he'll be better than Mourinho.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
My opinion on Mourinho is well know here.
But what has Bosz shown? His tactical scheme against Lyon (in both legs) was awful. And since Lyon has an absolutely awful coach, they managed to get through. At no point was it because of the tactics, nor thanks to his subs which were for the most part nonsense.
He didn't even win his league either.

At this point saying he's better than Mourinho is quite something. I'll stand by my neutral point of view on this because I rate Mourinho as a second rate coach as of now, but Bosz certainly doesn't strike me as better either.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's been 5 years since what?

United won a title more recently than Dortmund plus the Europa league which Dortmund choked away despite having a 3-1 away advantage.

More young talent doesn't always equate to success, and I don't understand how a trainer who's only won the second tier of the Dutch league is somehow better than Mourinho.

I do agree that Dortmund has a stronger squad at the moment. But the difference isn't as astronomical as you're making it seem.

It's been 5 years since SAF left and BVB has been the superior team on the pitch.

United's EL win is a little tough to compare since they needed it to get into the CL; BVB had secured themselves CL football with or without the EL. So it's a little disingenuous to point to that as a sign of United's superiority.

I don't think much of Mourinho as a tactician...though I love him as a personality; such a good heel.

More young talent means BVB will be able to maintain their advantage on the pitch even through the next round of sales...and there is a clear advantage for BVB in all areas of the pitch but CB; where Lindelof is easily the best player at that position on either team; and GK; because DDG.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00