Confirmed with Link: Borowiecki signs three-year extension

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Given this team's evaluations of our players in the recent past (see: Greening and Phillips), I would argue that we have every right to doubt the individuals that make up the management team.

Regardless of whether or not Boro would have received an extension mid-way or at the end of the year, it was in Ottawa's best interest to see how he performed at the NHL level before signing him to this deal. His games with the big club haven't exactly been impressive.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I actually burst out laughing when I read this. The blogging community doesnt know ****. If Travis friggin Yost knew HALF as much as he tries to convince himself he does, he wouldnt be banging out redundant pieces about numbers and advanced stats. He would be working for a real hockey team, making real money. So get out of here with that blogging community ********. They know exactly as much as you, me or any other fan out there. They just have the free time and inflated self opinion of themselves to make a website to go with it.

Maybe, just maybe, Borowiecki is valued slightly higher than you give him credit for. Maybe other GMs have been asking about him. Maybe Ottawa projects him higher than the AHL fodder your blogging community is so convinced that he will be. Maybe other teams project him higher also. Maybe his coaches in Binghamton who see him play night in and night out see him as being on the cusp of becoming an NHLer. But hey who cares about all of that...Yost showed me a graph once

I remember this exact same response being used against Tulsky, Charron, MacDonald, Dellow, Metclaf... now they do work for teams.

Might not be finest logic.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
I actually burst out laughing when I read this. The blogging community doesnt know ****. If Travis friggin Yost knew HALF as much as he tries to convince himself he does, he wouldnt be banging out redundant pieces about numbers and advanced stats. He would be working for a real hockey team, making real money. So get out of here with that blogging community ********. They know exactly as much as you, me or any other fan out there. They just have the free time and inflated self opinion of themselves to make a website to go with it.

Maybe, just maybe, Borowiecki is valued slightly higher than you give him credit for. Maybe other GMs have been asking about him. Maybe Ottawa projects him higher than the AHL fodder your blogging community is so convinced that he will be. Maybe other teams project him higher also. Maybe his coaches in Binghamton who see him play night in and night out see him as being on the cusp of becoming an NHLer. But hey who cares about all of that...Yost showed me a graph once

This is exactly what people were saying about Eric Tulsky and Tyler Dellow and Cam Charron then OOPS OH **** THEY ACTUALLY DID GET HIRED BY NHL TEAMS.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
It's not surprising. Bloggers often tweet about how ridiculous HF Boards can be, and how posters here overvalue prospects to the nth degree. They laugh at HF consistently and it's bound to create some hard feelings among some posters here. I imagine the "Wiercioch is hardly more proven than Borowiecki" would give them a hearty laugh.

And what about that is wrong? I mean, even a little bit?

I'd say there's a very vocal crowd on HF that are incredibly out of touch with reality, just like the real world.

EDIT: Just want to make it known that I'm not claiming that you think otherwise. I'm just making note of how ridiculous some posters are on here. As others have said, discrediting the "blogging community" right now makes for some laughable poor sense of timing.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
The bottom line is the bottom line though innit? We're paying the guy what counts for peanuts nowadays any way you slice it. Paying him to fill a minor role which, no matter what the diverging opinion of Boro's ceiling might be, I think most would agree that he's shown to be able to fill adequately enough: that of a seventh or eighth defensemen. If he's more than that, spectacular, if not, well he'll keep filling in as much as possible and I doubt we'll be the worse for it. I'm not that attached to him myself but for what he’s getting, I frankly don't give a hoot.

This. In my opinion, if he spends one of the next 4 seasons as a top 6 DMan for us this deal is a fantastic one no matter how you cut it - even if he's only our 7th or 8th in the other years.

sebas85

Feb 28, 2014
I remember this exact same response being used against Tulsky, Charron, MacDonald, Dellow, Metclaf... now they do work for teams.

Might not be finest logic.

Cool. Probably been more than 5 NHL Dmen who were **** on by genius bloggers before they solidified themselves as solid NHL players. So yeah...logic seems fine to me.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Cool. Probably been more than 5 NHL Dmen who were **** on by genius bloggers before they solidified themselves as solid NHL players. So yeah...logic seems fine to me.

And I'm sure you've also never been wrong with your evaluations.

Seriously, I don't understand the hate. These guys are writing opinion articles using numbers and facts. What are you doing?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I could still say I don't get the "why now" for this Boro extension, but a thought keep popping in my mind : potential to save some $

Not sure it will materialize but it's the biggest motivation I can see. Another is the tremendous Boro work ethic that has the intention of pushing other Sens players in that department.

Yeah, that cognitive bias can work both ways. Like with management, who don't want the embarrassment of using a 9th overall pick on a fringe NHLer, along with giving him a 4 year $12.4 million contract (not to mention reportedly offering a 7 year $28 (?) million deal before that). Cowen has draft pedigree and a sizable contract, that will give him more leeway than he deserves, and we saw it last year. When a good shift for Cowen constituted not having an on-ice blunder, that's just sad.

IMO, his mobility wasn't the biggest issue last year (though he did get skated around regularly), it was his decision making. My favourite Cowen play from last year was the game late in the year against Calgary where he was on the PK and chased a Flame (a forward) outside the Sens' own zone. Said forward did a drop pass off the boards back to another Flame, who now faced a 4 on 3 situation due to Cowen being in the neutral zone and pretty close to centre ice rather than his spot down low on the PK after chasing the aforementioned player. :help:

And really, 29 other teams? You think he'd have gotten a regular shift last yea on Chicago with Keith, Seabrook, Leddy, Hjalmarsson, Oduya, and Rosival? Or LA with Doughty, Martinez, Voynov, Greene, Muzzin, and Mitchell, with Regehr as a number 7? On a non-playoff team like Vancouver with Edler, Bieksa, Garrison, Hamhuis, Tanev, he'd have been #6 at best, not getting ice time over others like he did with Wiercioch and Gryba here.

It's your opinion and I'll leave it at that. Personally, I have a way different opinion and I'm just going to let time do his thing. Nothing more I can do at this point, HFers are strongly entitled to their opinions.

Ya, +/- is so flawed, so let's just not use it. As for ES GA/60, you sure that's not due to some sheltering going on from MacLean once he realized Cowen was not going to be a competent top 4 defenceman?

Nope. Advanced stats kind of help Cowen's case... He didn't have a great season but when you consider the team he played on and the dysfunctional team defense and below average goaltending (20th last season), it wasn't really all that bad, despite that you didn't like several plays he made or didn't make.

Also, can Micklebot or somebody else find the Sens goalies SV% for Sens players when on the ice at ES last year? I'd be interested in seeing that.

Bingo. Or more specifically, mis-using budget dollars when you're a low budget team. While it would be nice if Boro and Phillips could be decent 5, 6, or 7s (and I have major doubts on the latter given his atrocious performance last year combined with age), the Sens' problem is the lack of legit top 4 defencemen. It's basically Karlsson and Methot right now, with Ceci, Cowen (despite his trainwreck play last year) and Wiercioch having the potential, but no proof of them being there now. And given MacLean's tendency to shaft Wiercioch, who can move the puck well and had decent advanced stats, last year for Cowen or Gryba because those 2 can hit...it doesn't fill me with hope.

This team lacks a #2 D-man. If we suddenly add a #2, everyone fall into the right spot and defense would be just fine.

#1 Karlsson
#2 ???
#3 Methot
#4 Cowen
#5 Ceci
#6 Wiercioch, Phillips
#7 Borowiecki

Wildcard : Claesson

If/when Ceci/Cowen becomes that #2 guy, the defense could look solid. If Methot walks, then you also need one of them to become a good #3. Then you wait on some of Claesson/Englund/Wikstrand to become solid #4-7 contributors.

Finally, another draft pick or traded/UFA player could help as well.

Middle of the pack for Ottawa

I think the problem is Cowen had some particularly egregious mistakes, and those are the ones that stick in your mind. Most of the time he was fine, he just had some terrible stretches that stood out.

His last year reputation was glorified by the "eye test" and cognitive bias which threw him in a scapegoating position. He played just fine most of the time, but like you said, several blunders really put him on the "over-scrutinity HF microscope".

Another thing to consider to consider is his style of play. I've said it for a while now but the way he plays will never make the unanimity as it's not flamboyant and really not "Karlsson-like". Several people just don't like it, efficient or not.

Would I have liked Cowen to develop faster? Of course, but at the same time severe injuries and lack of NHL experience makes it more understandable why it takes some time...

But back to the topic of the thread, namely Borowiecki and the unwarranted extension he got. Travis Yost had a good piece on it.

And despite this, so many people are sure he's a legitimate NHLer? Including management, who seem smitten with his character and hitting alone. Intangibles that frankly count for diddly-squat if you can't play well. And that he's a local kid. Yeeeesh.

You sound like a dime-a-dozen HFer, who put more stock in his analysis than those of several real hockey professionals. That alone, puts me even more on the other side of the argument.

The bold is factually inaccurate.

Greening signed his extension after the lockout shortened season in which Spezza only played 5 games. He was actually pretty close to the same production he had playing with Spezza on the top line which is great considering he did it from the third line.

This past season was tough for Greening, and hopefully he turns it around, but his contract wasn't based solely on his performance with Spezza.

Another proof of cognitive bias. Omitting facts in a hopeful way that it will go unnoticed. Greening has some great production all things considered all his career except last season (2.5 years vs 1 year)

I dislike Greening as much as the next person but his contract was well worth it at the time we signed him. In hindsight, they shouldn't have re-signed him, but I'm not expecting a 100% success in that projection game NHL managements play.

The rookie year undoubtedly played the biggest part in the negotiation, since it made him look like potentially more than a bottom 6 player. Despite similar production, his lockout shortened season was nothing to write home about either (though he did still look like a decent 3rd liner), with the exception of his OT goal against the Pens in the playoffs. Didn't he get scratched one game because MacLean was frustrated with his inconsistent production?

Nope, nope and nope

0.54, 0.45 and 0.40 are the PPG paces of Greening to start his NHL career.

His production slightly went down in 2012-13 because his PP TOI/G actually went down as well. For scoring depth players, you have to actually consider their ES TOI vs others because they don't PP much

In 2010-11, Greening had a great start of his career, scoring 13 ESP in 24 games, (0.54 ES PTS/G) (Spezza had 39 in 62 games)

In 2011-12, Greening had 29 ESP in 82 games (0.35 ES PTS/G) (Leader Spezza had 60 in 80 games)

In 2012-13, Greening had 15 ESP in 47 games (0.32 ES PTS/G) (Leader Turris had 20 in 48 games)

In 2013-14 (and that's where the problem is), Greening had 14 ESP in 76 games (Leader Spezza had 44 in 75 games)

His contract is certainly not only based on that one particular season... His numbers were actually quite good for a 3rd liner with no PP time.

Sucks that I have defend Greening because he's the player I wanted gone before basically everyone else here, but what can you do when you see some people go on such evident hate propagandas.

It's reasonable to think that Boro hasn't proven enough in the NHL to receive a 3 year one-way extension on top of this year.

It's also reasonable to assume a group of NHL executives knows a lot more than me about these kinds of things.

NHL executives make mistakes though. So do I.

To err is human.

You're entirely right. Problem is with some people around here, it sounds like NHL executives make mistakes 95% of the time... This is where I have a problem and laugh big time.

Last edited:

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Given this team's evaluations of our players in the recent past (see: Greening and Phillips), I would argue that we have every right to doubt the individuals that make up the management team.

Regardless of whether or not Boro would have received an extension mid-way or at the end of the year, it was in Ottawa's best interest to see how he performed at the NHL level before signing him to this deal. His games with the big club haven't exactly been impressive.

Greening signed a three year extension with he Senators after playing 24 games as a mid season call up. His annual AAV was $816,000 over the past three seasons and his contract just ended.

Borowiecki's contract is not setting a precedent as many posters with short memories have suggested.

Greening's contract was the precedent and it worked out extremely well. It is also the best comparison, while Phillip's contract is probably the worst comparable since he is our most veteran player and well into UFA years.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Nope. Advanced stats kind of help Cowen's case... He didn't have a great season but when you consider the team he played on and the dysfunctional team defense and below average goaltending (20th last season), it wasn't really all that bad, despite that you didn't like several plays he made or didn't make.

Also, can Micklebot or somebody else find the Sens goalies SV% for Sens players when on the ice at ES last year? I'd be interested in seeing that.

And you don't think the Sens' below average goaltending could be even partially because of the lacklustre defensive play? When a team is giving up as many shots as the Sens did last year, it's going to wear the goalies down. Not saying Anderson and Lehner didn't struggle at points last year, but bad defence played a sizable role there.

And with a Corsi Rel at 5 on 5 of -3.7, not all advanced stats help Cowen's case.

His last year reputation was glorified by the "eye test" and cognitive bias which threw him in a scapegoating position. He played just fine most of the time, but like you said, several blunders really put him on the "over-scrutinity HF microscope".

By eye test, do you mean actually watching him play? Because, ya, I watched him play. At his best, he was average and at worst committing blunders, like the PK with the Flames I mentioned before. I hate to tell you this, but any NHL management team will tell you that the "eye test" or watching a player is still incredibly important. Otherwise, they would never scout other players for drafting or trades, and just go off numbers.

You sound like a dime-a-dozen HFer, who put more stock in his analysis than those of several real hockey professionals. That alone, puts me even more on the other side of the argument.

I could easily say you also sound like a dime-a-dozen HFer who thinks people using certain facts and research done by reporters or bloggers should be ignored because, hey, NHL management, they're professionals, thus they're making very informed decisions. No way they could have any bias and overlook facts because they like a guy's personality! :sarcasm:

Nope, nope and nope

0.54, 0.45 and 0.40 are the PPG paces of Greening to start his NHL career.

His production slightly went down in 2012-13 because his PP TOI/G actually went down as well. For scoring depth players, you have to actually consider their ES TOI vs others because they don't PP much

In 2010-11, Greening had a great start of his career, scoring 13 ESP in 24 games, (0.54 ES PTS/G) (Spezza had 39 in 62 games)

In 2011-12, Greening had 29 ESP in 82 games (0.35 ES PTS/G) (Leader Spezza had 60 in 80 games)

In 2012-13, Greening had 15 ESP in 47 games (0.32 ES PTS/G) (Leader Turris had 20 in 48 games)

In 2013-14 (and that's where the problem is), Greening had 14 ESP in 76 games (Leader Spezza had 44 in 75 games)

His contract is certainly not only based on that one particular season... His numbers were actually quite good for a 3rd liner with no PP time.

Sucks that I have defend Greening because he's the player I wanted gone before basically everyone else here, but what can you do when you see some people go on such evident hate propagandas.

So his most productive year wouldn't be a main argument for him and his agent to make in negotiations? And why did his powerplay time go down in 2012-13? Was it because there were better options on the PP, or because he was failing to produce early on and coaching decided why waste a spot on him there?

I could also make the case that his call-up year in 2010-11 inflates his worth because it's a relatively small sample size and was on a team well out of the playoffs and thus playing with nothing to lose, better than it had previously that year. But hey, you know what, Greening proved more in the NHL that one year than Borowiecki has in any of the 3 seasons he's received a call-up. Greening was also out of a contract after 2010-11 when he received a 3 year extension, but with a cap hit of just over $800 000

Also, based on his numbers, it's clear his most recent season was out of line with what he'd accomplished previously, but his numbers have still been decreasing every year. And yet, with a year left on his contract, they decided they absolutely had to lock this guy up for more. True, he would have been UFA, but that they decided this at best 3rd liner was a must-keep should at least raise an eyebrow, and it's perfectly fine for people to debate that move here.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

So his most productive year wouldn't be a main argument for him and his agent to make in negotiations? And why did his powerplay time go down in 2012-13? Was it because there were better options on the PP, or because he was failing to produce early on and coaching decided why waste a spot on him there?

I could also make the case that his call-up year in 2010-11 inflates his worth because it's a relatively small sample size and was on a team well out of the playoffs and thus playing with nothing to lose, better than it had previously that year. But hey, you know what, Greening proved more in the NHL that one year than Borowiecki has in any of the 3 seasons he's received a call-up. Greening was also out of a contract after 2010-11 when he received a 3 year extension, but with a cap hit of just over $800 000

Also, based on his numbers, it's clear his most recent season was out of line with what he'd accomplished previously, but his numbers have still been decreasing every year. And yet, with a year left on his contract, they decided they absolutely had to lock this guy up for more. True, he would have been UFA, but that they decided this at best 3rd liner was a must-keep should at least raise an eyebrow, and it's perfectly fine for people to debate that move here.

Just wanted to respond to the Greening content;

In his 4 years, there are 2 ES results that are outliers; his 24 game call-up where he was getting 2.45 pts per 60 and last season where he got .87.

The other 2 seasons were remarkably similar in pts production per 60 mins despite one year playing on the top line with Spezza for 64% of his ES icetime, and the other 17%. He basically swapped Spezza for Smith.

It's also worth mentioning that his zone starts steadily shifted towards the defensive end outside of his call-up year

You also noted that his PP time decresased, but that is actually one area his production per min has actually steadily increased.

While I'm not going to say Greening is bonafide top 6 forward, I will point out that much of his decline can be attributed to decreasing opportunity. He has had his deployment shift from offensive mins, with offensive linemates to defensive mins with defensive linemates and his numbers reflect that.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He claimed that someone hacked him or someone he knew and that the trace lead to someone in the Ukraine

Or something close to that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad