Post-Game Talk: Borgman

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
He was good. Threw the body (Schiefele just missed getting taken out) and he can really skate. Some of his decisions with the puck were questionable but he shows promise for sure.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Enjoyed his game, if the jets weren't given all tha pp practice he would of played more minutes.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
He looked really good. Strong and with the right level of aggressiveness (as he was not hunting but picking his spots).

But lets not get carried away, being an NHLer is about bringing it every night for long periods. I do think he can do it but only time will tell.

RayNibbs

Mar 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
Young, big defenceman who looks like hes got the poise to be a good two way defenceman for us. Played great tonight, our euro scouts have been money the past few years. Let's see how he can progress. I'm definitely excited to see how his shot changes the look of our offense from defence, it seemed that many times last year our defence deferred to the forwards for the shot, hopefully he adds another element once he gets settled into his role.

Cheers to the new season!

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like his game. Very Kronwall-esque.

He looked timid at times but I'm hoping he keeps progressing. What a free agent signing that was though.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
There's something ugly about his game. I don't know what it is, but he just looks robotic moving around. Maybe it's his chiseled physique. Maybe he's still adjusting to the speed. He's not pretty, but it's working for now. Just by the few games I've seen he can evade people pretty well, but his first few steps could use some work. Once he gets going he seems to move pretty well though. Strong first pass, but shot from the point. Potential 2nd pairing guy I think if works out for him. Can't complain about a free asset like that.

Reactions: Snip Genos

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
very pleasantly surprised by him. what an upgrade over marincin, my god....

also happy with hainsey. i think our defense will be better then most people thought it would be. it looks like carrick is the weakest link right now. i wonder how long until dermott/rosen bump carrick.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
latest

"THE BORGMAN RISES"

Leafsforever89

Apr 22, 2017
He was great! I think we have our defence. Let's resign JVR and trade Bozak for a 1st rounder and bring up Kapanen. Reshuffling of lines would mean that Nylander might have to switch to centre. Love this team.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That was a helluva 1st nhl game, really.

Guy has the complete skillset, though I get the feeling he'll always be a bit of a loose cannon out there.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
That was a helluva 1st nhl game, really.

Guy has the complete skillset, though I get the feeling he'll always be a bit of a loose cannon out there.

I agree but I don't think thats such a bad thing when we have a team heavy on skill. Gotta have some guys out there keeping the other team honest

RLF

May 5, 2014
I agree but I don't think thats such a bad thing when we have a team heavy on skill. Gotta have some guys out there keeping the other team honest
Yep. I am sure guys are a little more leary when crossing our blueline now.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I liked him a lot more than Carrick. He was a lot calmer/effective under the heavy fore check early on whereas Carrick seemed pretty hesitant going into the boards.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
He had that miscommunication play with Carrick when Mattias got the breakaway, and threw 2 long passes up the middle that got picked off, but he clearly has all the tools.

I've liked him in that spot with Carrick more than Rosen.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I said it in the pre-season, and, I'll say it again, even if it's just ONE game, he played with calm and confidence and did not look out of place. I think he is going to turn some heads!

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
Very impressed with him since preseason. Loving the combination of size, grit and mobility. Players better learn to keep their heads up when this kids on the ice.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Teams are going to learn the hard way that if they try to double their coverage of Matthews 1) he's still going to produce 2) just leaves guy like Nylander/Marner/Matthews

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad