Post-Game Talk: Borgman

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I know it's one game but I really liked what I saw out there yesterday, he certainly didn't look out of place the last game either. I know he has to get a acclimated to the NA ice and game but he looks pretty promising.

Wondering what most people thought of him and of the the most likely candidate to land the third pairing LHD?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I sort of assumed Dermott and Polak were going to make up the 6/7 guys. Haven't seen much of Polak though, and Borgman has looked good, especially last night.

Going in, I expected Borgman to start with the Marlies for acclimatization, but now maybe not.

That would give us a lack of depth on D though. Literally no NHL experience beyond of our top 5 guys. That's pretty sketchy for a team with playoff aspirations.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
Borgman looked good BUT he’s played against a couple of bad teams so far in the preseason. Let’s see how it goes when teams start to ice their real teams. I’m optimistic though!

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Whether or not he is ready right this minute doesn't really matter to me but he looks like Babcocks dream defensemen lol. He is big, likes to hit and he can actually skate and isn't afraid of touching the puck. He definitely has a future with the team.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I still like Rosen and Dermott better, but all 3 have been better than Carrick and Marincin. We're going to be waiving quite a few guys, so I wouldn't mind picking 1 or 2 vets off waivers that are better than Polak.

Start with:
Gards - Zaitsev
Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Rosén
Vet 1 - Vet 2
•Borgman AHL
•Marincin waived
•Carrick traded

My question is now, who could hit waivers that would be worth a claim that has experience and is steadier than any of Carrick, Marincin, Polak. That might be hard to come by, but it would be nice to get one guy in that mold and then have Borgman as the 8th guy on the Depth chart.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
That's a good indicator for a defenseman.

Exactly. Unlike Carrick and Marancin where you notice them for the wrong reasons. Dermott and Borgman have the qualities of exceptional defencemen. The question is do they need a little AHL seasoning to start the season?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Other than his late hit I did not notice him.

Really? I noticed him all the time.

I've never understood this. I don't understand how people don't notice players.

Defenders playing well is very noticeable to me. I took notice of Borgman every time he came under pressure but had the patience and awareness to solve it with a smart pass. Where do people doze off during those times if they don't even notice it happening?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wrote this in the post game thread:

Borgman was good and had a couple really good moments but there were times in his own zone he was just skating aimlessly. He's all over the place, which is not always good since that makes him out of position. Shilton and someone else tweeted out that Borgman had to be directed by Dermott almost all night since he was lost in his zone (sometimes that can't be seen on TV)

I think Borgman could use sometime with the Marlies, especially since he's still pretty young

I really like his skillset and probably should be a really solid defenseman in the near future but I don't think it would hurt him to refine his game with the Marlies for a bit.

If you didn't notice Borgman or thought he had a bad game, you need new glasses for sure though. He was very noticeable.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

Defenders playing well is very noticeable to me. I took notice of Borgman every time he came under pressure but had the patience and awareness to solve it with a smart pass. Where do people doze off during those times if they don't even notice it happening?

That means he didnt throw any pizzas up the middle.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan

As I said with respect to Hyman, same thing here, lots of folks just see goals or the last person to have a chance to stop the goal.

Like you I noticed about 5 times where he had the puck - and with some pressure close to him - and was really calm and made a good short pass or a longer pass or banked it up the boards - very confidently indeed.

Kind of the same with Hainsey, except, he was always in position, so, he really didn't need to do much, with the puck, he was breaking up a few plays or stopping things before anything happened, and Rielly was controlling things moreso, so, again, he remained in the right position which was half the battle - is what I mean.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I wrote this in the post game thread:

I really like his skillset and probably should be a really solid defenseman in the near future but I don't think it would hurt him to refine his game with the Marlies for a bit.

If you didn't notice Borgman or thought he had a bad game, you need new glasses for sure though. He was very noticeable.

Good posts! Thanks for the info from Shilton. That is certainly something you don't pick up watching it on TV.

I like his confidence the most! He is not afraid to take the shot from the backend. As we also saw, he is not afraid to throw his weight around. No way do you think he's a 22 year old kid getting accustomed to NA ice. He looks very comfortable.

I would not be concerned if he was slotted into one of the defence spots. I also wouldn't be upset if he was seasoned a bit more in the AHL. He needs to learn the system in which ever league (NHL or AHL) gets him up to speed the quickest.

With his confidence, compete level, effort and attitude; he will certainly be a very impactful dman going forward. With what I am seeing from Borgman, Rosen and Dermott, I am growing more confident in our future defensive corp.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
can't believe he's only 22, he's playing with a lot of poise in the 2 games he played in.

what surprise me the most is his mobility, pretty good skater.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

fans in general don't actually see what dmen do outside of a) giveaways and b) rushing the puck.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Other than his late hit I did not notice him.

Really, I think the comment about being lost and getting instructions is way overblown.

I hear partners continuously shouting out to one another. Heck I remember last year when Nylander shouted at Carrick NO NO NO because he was covered, must have echoed throughout the arena, but Carrick ignored it and suicides Nylander. However, that wouldn't show up on an advanced stat for Carrick, but a giveaway for Nylander. (Eyeball test)

Is Shilton/? new to the game or just trying to make herself/himself look smart?

I watched the game and certainly, someone playing in their 2nd. NA game is going to have an adjustment period.

Oh, by the way the late hit penalty announced by the talking heads as Borgman was actually Nielsen. They corrected themselves when they found out it was Neilsen.

In my opinion the strides he made from game 1 to last night was impressive. He probably learned a little bit about what he could do in game 1 and extended his reach in game 2.

At this point it looks like every position outside Zaitsev, Gardiner, Hainsey and Rielly are in play.

Oh, and did anyone notice Rielly's ongoing misplays on the powerplay. Nice goal, but he doesn't have that knack for accepting passes at the blueline and keeping the puck in. Additionally, I thought he made a few Marincin's last night, and we know if it was Marincin the torches would be lit again.

Okay, so do the Sens and Sabres have a secret cache of back-ups? Leafs have pummeled these guys and come away with 3 goals?

McElhinney looked decent for the little he had to do, and Sparks had nothing to do.

Enjoyed the game, and really came away impressed by Borgman and Dermott.

Borgman has a bit of Kronwall in him, but seems to be more involved in carrying the puck. Dermott is steady, and seems to like getting up near the opposition net when possible, but unlike Carrick who does the same Dermott seems to have a handle on the defending part of being a defender.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Looks like he's going to turn into a very reliable D man.

Curious to see where he ends up, Leafs vs Marlies.

Re the issue of "noticing", not every player needs to make big plays, just have good positioning and make sure nothing goes wrong. These guys don't standout but help the team win

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Doesn't sound that bad.

Babcock concurs that Borgman's bulk will clear his path to more playing time.

He's a man out there, a heavy, heavy shot, evasive moves with the puck, he just has to learn about his stick and his gap. Those are easier to face than the other things. We have quite a few games here and we'll work with him.

Last edited:

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

That's why Jake gets so much flack on here, by some people. They don't notice all the good things he does because they don't understand the game. Jake calmly separating a man from the puck and clearing the zone, doesn't make the highlight reel. If he makes a glaring error, like giving the puck away, it's all anybody can talk about.

The thing I love about Borgman and Dermott, is their decisiveness. They make quick decisions, which is a valuable trait to have in the NHL. They looked like veterans out their and I'm interested to see them together against better competition.

The downfall of Carrick and Marinicin is that they are indecisive and panic in their own zone.

IMO, Dermott-Borgman is the third pairing, as of now. With 5 more games to go, that could change.

Rosen still had more to prove to me. He looked awful when he was paired with Carrick but settled down when he was put with Liljegren. Carrick also settled down when paired with Dermott. So is this a Carrick thing or Rosen thing? I suspect Carrick but time will tell. I hope they pair them together tonight, to start the game.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
fans in general don't actually see what dmen do outside of a) giveaways and b) rushing the puck.

True (add bad pinches) but in spades if watching the game on tv as I did last night.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Borgman to the AHL for the season. I absolutely love the kid and I think he could be top 4 one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad