Post-Game Talk: Borgman

RLF

May 5, 2014
This is the guy I was hoping makes the team. Nothing against Rosen, just like the different element he brings and the upside.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You make me think of the days of Vlad Konstantinov with your wishes.

3rd pair rhs D(or playing) with a bit of umph behind him makes me drool like a simp." little grin" will take 2nd/1rst pair rhs D (in time) , LHS D we have covered, we need a bit of beef back there IMO.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
3rd pair rhs D(or playing) with a bit of umph behind him makes me drool like a simp." little grin" will take 2nd/1rst pair rhs D (in time) , LHS D we have covered, we need a bit of beef back there IMO.

I'm with you on that. Even though the game has evolved into speed/skill with clutch/grab decrease, I still have a soft spot for those guys like Konstantinov/Kasparitis/etc. Those that can play the game with a nasty little edge. It's still a contact sport no matter how much you evolve other aspects.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
prepare to be assimilated.jpg

Jets....

Reactions: Kurtz

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He had a few giveaways tonight, but he was involved at both ends of the ice and had a pretty solid NHL debut overall.

Good on Babs for giving him and Carrick extra ice time with the game in hand. That has the makings of a good young 3rd pairing on the blueline.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Very impressed. Obviously made some mistakes but that is to be expected. If he can keep this level of play for the next 20-30 games then I think we have a legit NHL player

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He had a few giveaways tonight, but he was involved at both ends of the ice and had a pretty solid NHL debut overall.

Good on Babs for giving him and Carrick extra ice time with the game in hand. That has the makings of a good young 3rd pairing on the blueline.

saw it pretty much the same, a few gaffs but not they looked like jitters and getting used to gaps closing faster than in Europe. One play in particular he skated the puck from behind his own net, outran his pursuer, cut back at the blueline to shirk another one then made a pass up the middle right onto a Jet stick when he had time to wait for a better pass lane.

Showed some hands and wheels on that rush where he drew the penalty though. We've certainly seen worse debut nights

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I thought Borgman was great. He handled the forecheck pressure well all night and put up a lot of resistance with his physicality. I think tonight, against a big and fast team like the Jets, it showed how much we could use a more physical, heavy player in our D corps.

It's a bonus he can play that style and still be an effective puck-mover/creator. Was real impressed with him tonight.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Borgman just gets it. Other than that stupid pass, I thought he really did a good job of fitting in. He focused first on the fundamentals, and only started to try stuff once he got into the pace of the game.

If he plays like that, hes not coming out any time soon. Hope he can maintain this

Reactions: Rogie

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Based on what I saw tonight, the Leafs will be in no rush to get a top 4 Dman. In 40 games or so Borgman may be pushing Zaitsev out even.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Based on what I saw tonight, the Leafs will be in no rush to get a top 4 Dman. In 40 games or so Borgman may be pushing Zaitsev out even.
Borgman made plays. All over the ice.

Borgman a heavy hitter, made defensive plays in open ice, made plays at the blueline. Made plays in the corners and along the boards. Got the puck out.

He did it all. Like another poster said, he just gets it, that's how you play the game.

He's not even that fast, but early in the game he almost laid out the Jets best center with an open ice hit. It missed but it got enough of him to breakup the rush.

Borgman is going to be a good defender. Lets see how he does against stiffer competition.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Out of top 4 play into 3rd pairing. In other words we don't know what we have or if we even need a top 4 Dman yet. We most certainly don't based on what the demands have been rumoured to be. If Borgman progresses do we even need to make any trades? Our farm team is loaded(Dermott, Rosen, Nielsen and even Liljegren) and injuries will happen and then Leivo, Kappanen etc. will get their chance to play. Just like last year, Lou and co. may have it more right than they or anyone else thinks.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
He had an outstanding first two periods, got played a bit too much in the third but right now he’s a great third pairing d man. Love this guy. Set the tone early too

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Anything that keeps Marincin in the press box, I'm good with!

He played well enough tonight - Babs was right - this guy is huge and is good with his edges.

He also said you can't teach 227 (even though he's listed at 210).

Reactions: Marcus and david999

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
You would not be able to tell that that was Borgmans first NHL game. He fit right in and played very well, Dont see him coming out of the lineup anytime soon

scooter87

Mar 22, 2013
Impressive. Made the simple plays and played strong. That's all you want. Looks like he knows exactly what the coaching staff are asking of him and is delivering it. Which I guess is why he started on opening night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad