WJC: Boone Jenner Suspended 3 Games For Hit on Pettersson (MOD WARNING #422)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I don't think Jenner was thinking "ooh yeah I'm gonna hit this kid late here it comes!" Do you? No he likely was only thinking about hitting Petersson and not about how long it's been since Petersson passed off the puck.

But he must have known he was going in for a late if hit. If he can't tell the difference between late hits and legal hits on the ice, then this guy should not play hockey. The same goes for running the red lights while driving.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I don't know your particular stance on the matter, however, this is exactly what was said by Habs fans over and over during the Chara-Pacioretty incident. The NHL and the vast majority of HF chose to completely dismiss that and ruled it a "strong hockey play". The amount of contradiction from one case to another is starting to get ridiculous.

Dr. Quincy is a Bruins poster, so you know exactly what he thought of that:

It WAS at minimum a cheap play and at worst dirty (but not suspendable).

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
The Rome hit on Horton was also almost blind-side

No it wasn't.

with the principal point of contact being the head

Irrelevant with the rule set NHL had at the time.

and Rome leaving his feet through contact suggests he was lunging into the hit, too (unlike Jenner, who just glided through Pettersson).

He didn't leave his feet before the contact, leaving his feet because of the momentum was not a factor in NHL's ruling.

Those facts are enough to distinguish it as quite different from Jenner's hit on Pettersson.

The two main things were the same in both hits, both were late and both resulted an injury.

With the lack of specific wording regarding the head area as a "legal target", the only way they could get Rome to justice was to rely on the lateness, but no question they wanted to penalize a blindside blow to the head with that suspension, not simply late "clean" hits that are already covered in the rule book under interference/charging.

It wasn't a blindside blow.

"If it was immediately after he released the puck, it would be a legal hit." -Mike Murphy, NHL senior vice-president of hockey ops.

Good luck to those on the witch hunt, if this is the best comparable they can find to hang their hat on.

Witch hunt? :laugh:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
No it wasn't.

Irrelevant with the rule set NHL had at the time.

He didn't leave his feet before the contact, leaving his feet because of the momentum was not a factor in NHL's ruling.

The two main things were the same in both hits, both were late and both resulted an injury.

It wasn't a blindside blow.

"If it was immediately after he released the puck, it would be a legal hit." -Mike Murphy, NHL senior vice-president of hockey ops.

Witch hunt? :laugh:

For the record

on576.png

k33s0g.png

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Initial thought:
I find this hilarious. Jenner can never seem to play in one of these games, poor guy

Damn.

poor guy? lol last time he speared the russian guy ! you gotta be held responsible for yoru actions... he will play in the nhl soon any ways... columbus needs him bad

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Blah. Let's see if someone crushes one of canadas weak kids with a late hit, the people downplaying this **** boone will be crying murder.

none of canadas kids are weak.... just saying... esp not a denfenceman...

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Shalunov gets a 1 game suspension yet no thread, Jenner gets a suspension and this thread has 500 posts. Shocker.

Shalunov's suspension well deserved though, you don't go cross checking people in the face, a cross check to the face has more injury potential than a late hit. 1 game was enought though

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Dr. Quincy is a Bruins poster, so you know exactly what he thought of that:

The Chara hit on MaxPac was cheap and unnecessary, but there was nothing in the book that made it a penalty and nothing in the supplementary discipline language that warranted suspension. Don't know which thread you dug that out of, but if you look, I think you'd find that my posts in threads immediately after it happened were pretty (compared to other Bruins fans) sympathetic to Pac. It just wasn't against the rules. Chara SHOULD have known better and SHOULD have respected Max and SHOULDN'T have made the hit, but there was no explicit language (which differentiates the Jenner case) forbidding it.

Now go back and look up what I said about the Marchand hit on Salo. I called it cheap and I said it warranted a suspension, because 1) That kind of hit is against the written rules and 2) It resulted in an injury which is one criteria for supplementary discipline.

And I'm sure you can find a whole lot of Bruins fans who will tell you I don't side with the Bruins on every penalty call/non-call out of homer loyalty. I call out Bruins players very frequently for plays I think warrant it. That's the thing, I try to base my opinion on the actual play, not the laundry of the player.

Last edited:

Arz1

Dec 27, 2011
No matter what these "tough canadians" here say, similiar hit in todays NHL would have resulted to a 2-3 game suspension, for repeat offender maybe even more. Just accept it.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Shalunov gets a 1 game suspension yet no thread, Jenner gets a suspension and this thread has 500 posts. Shocker.

Shalunov's suspension well deserved though, you don't go cross checking people in the face, a cross check to the face has more injury potential than a late hit. 1 game was enought though

Maybe because no Russians are saying that it wasn't a penalty and that the Slovakian kid needs to drink more milk and that outlawing this kind of play is leading to the wussification of hockey.

If some of the excusers here would have just accepted their medicine it wouldn't be 500 posts.

KulleKing*

none of canadas kids are weak.... just saying... esp not a denfenceman...

No? Nugent-hopkins, Huberdeau and mckinnon look pretty weak. Who knows, one of those guys might get crushed.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I did see a russian post in the GDT saying something along the lines of the Slovakian player was holding the Russian player and caused the injury to himself.

Most of the posts here are a result of Non Canadians attacking the Canadians any chance they get, nobody does that to the Russians when they do something, same reason the Yakupov comment thread got a crapload of posts.

I do agree that if Canadians just accepted it there'd be a lot less posts though, but I be if people commented on the Shalunov suspension as much as people have with Jenner you'd see a few Russians come out of the woodworks with excuses too.

I don't agree with the Jenner suspension but I've had my say once, and that's enough, I can't do anything about the suspension so I just gotta live with it, complaining on HF isn't gonna do me any good, this entire thread has gone around in circles 50 times, I don't feel the need to make it 51.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I did see a russian post in the GDT saying something along the lines of the Slovakian player was holding the Russian player and caused the injury to himself.

Most of the posts here are a result of Non Canadians attacking the Canadians any chance they get, nobody does that to the Russians when they do something, same reason the Yakupov comment thread got a crapload of posts.

First time I heard about the suspension was roughly 1h ago. It was a 1 game suspension and there was no serious (missed games) injuries.

It's not even near the same compared to Jenner's hit. Jenner is a repeat-offender (he should have been suspended for the rest of the tournament last season for his vicious dirty hit on Määttä), his dirty hit caused a tournament-ending injury (quite likely that Pettersson will miss much more than WJC games).

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
No? Nugent-hopkins, Huberdeau and mckinnon look pretty weak. Who knows, one of those guys might get crushed.

Indeed. Had RNH been taken out of the tournament (possibly longer) with a blatant late hit, I can just about guarantee there wouldn't be a SINGLE Canadian poster (well, Canucks and Flames fans excluded for obvious reasons) telling "stop admiring your passes", "you need to keep your head up", "the guy was simply finishing his hit", "there was no time to react" etc.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
First time I heard about the suspension was roughly 1h ago. It was a 1 game suspension and there was no serious (missed games) injuries.

It's not even near the same compared to Jenner's hit. Jenner is a repeat-offender (he should have been suspended for the rest of the tournament last season for his vicious dirty hit on Määttä), his dirty hit caused a tournament-ending injury (quite likely that Pettersson will miss much more than WJC games).

Ive not seen either however the problem is hitting is part of the game and late hits unless very blatant are always a tough call.

Cross checking on the other hand is never legal. So its always going to be call.

Some of the stiffest suspensions in the NHL have been for cross checks to the face.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Ive not seen either however the problem is hitting is part of the game and late hits unless very blatant are always a tough call.

Cross checking on the other hand is never legal. So its always going to be call.

Wrong. You get people getting crosschecked like hundred times in every NHL game in front of the crease, very few of those get called. Getting slashed, punched and x-checked in front of the crease is part of the game.

Jenner's hit was very blatant, there was nothing tough in that call.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Wrong. You get people getting crosschecked like hundred times in every NHL game in front of the crease, very few of those get called. Getting slashed, punched and x-checked in front of the crease is part of the game.

Jenner's hit was very blatant, there was nothing tough in that call.
Not wrong.

It states explicitly in the rule book you are not allowed to use the crosscheck.

There is no such thing as a "clean" crosscheck.

Hits are however allowed.

Botta

Jul 12, 2010
Maybe because no Russians are saying that it wasn't a penalty and that the Slovakian kid needs to drink more milk and that outlawing this kind of play is leading to the wussification of hockey.

If some of the excusers here would have just accepted their medicine it wouldn't be 500 posts.

LOL:handclap:
The hit was unnecessary, that`s enough for me.No point making a hit like that

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Not wrong.

It states explicitly in the rule book you are not allowed to use the crosscheck.

There is no such thing as a "clean" crosscheck.

Hits are however allowed.

So how come d-men have been crosschecking opponents at the crease virtually unpunished for decades then? It's not black or white by any means.

And late hits are not allowed in the rulebook either. Those are called interference. There are no clean late hits either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad