WJC: Boone Jenner Suspended 3 Games For Hit on Pettersson (MOD WARNING #422)

sickest flow bro

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
When it is all said and done...

If they had suspended Jenner 2 games, 9 countries cry foul. If they suspend him 3 games, only Canada gets mad. Anyway, it is a moot point.
He hurt the team with a selfish, stupid hit. He should be smarter and, IMO, the team would be better off without him.

Good luck to Canada. I hope we win Gold.

Amen. Nobody agrees 100% on any decision. It's 3 games, nothing can be done about it now. Opinions are like ********..everyone has one.

Go Canada Go

Last edited by a moderator:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Of receiving hits in the future. A car accident may cause someone to not want to ride in a car for a while, A bad relationship may want someone not to date for a while, a big hockey hit may make someone not want to receive a big hit again, thus causing them to make mistakes by rushing

So there is no intent to injure a player in that?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Of receiving hits in the future. A car accident may cause someone to not want to ride in a car for a while, A bad relationship may want someone not to date for a while, a big hockey hit may make someone not want to receive a big hit again, thus causing them to make mistakes by rushing

And a suspension makes someone not want to break the rules.

masseman3

Jan 8, 2009
If it was their intent, then no. They will continue to break the rules.
If that is the case, we better have a "three-strikes-and-you-are-out" policy, before Jenner or any of his likes kills someone.

If it wasn't, they will play a bit more careful.
Come on, noone can seriously believe that Jenners dirty hit wasn't intentional, right ? Jenner was almost a full zone away when Petterson passed the puck.

Bad break to a good kid. Both Jenner and Petersson.
Not really, Jenner deserved much more punishment than he got.

Sher-Wood

May 12, 2003
Sweden
If they had suspended Jenner 2 games, 9 countries cry foul. If they suspend him 3 games, only Canada gets mad. It is a moot point.
He hurt the team with a selfish, stupid hit. He should be smarter and, IMO, the team would be better off without him.

Good luck to Canada. I hope we win Gold.
After all is said I think the penalty is fair. I hope Jenner learned something and from I've heard the swedish team feel the matter is closed. It's just sports. I cheer for the swedish team and hope they have what i takes to win the gold but there is so much good competition. So go sweden but let the best team win! Cheers!

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
FreeJenner_zps28a3cef4.jpg

:sarcasm:

Sorry for the lousy paint job, I'm sure someone can do better, and maybe even dress him up in a prison uniform.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
if this gets three games, i can't wait to see hockey in 10-15 years, reminiscent of the rome and horton hit.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

From an IIHF point of view, 3 games was the maximum they could give without Canada sending Jenner home and replacing him with some else
- something the officials did NOT want. They wanted to punish him and Canada and set an example...

1 game would be a joke and an embarrassment.

2 games does NOT set an example; he would come back for the American game and only miss Slovakia and Germany. A big yawn.

3 games hurts and punishes Canada.

4 games would result in him being sent home/replaced and that defeats the purpose.

Whether we Canadians like it or not, 3 games hits the sweet/sore spot from an IIHF/Canadian pespective and it is exactly what they were aiming for.

Last edited by a moderator:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

^^^^^^^^^^^^

If we want to avoid this in the future, we should send smarter players. We should also have a rule that says, "If you are suspended from an IIHF event, you never get to play in another." It's not like we couldn't replace him with someone else - especially this year.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
When I saw the hit I thought, it was very very late and a suspension was more than coming. 3 games is more than fair. It sucks, but you saw it coming.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Sweden wasn't ready, but Russia is ready for our "dirty" play. It's funny though... Verbally, it's always other teams taking shots. Swedes have said a lot of crap to the media (in the past) and the Russians (last three years or so). North American teams are always quiet on that front.

New Year's Eve should be good.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Am I watching the same hit as everyone else? "Very late?" He hit the guy literally half a second after the puck was released. It was borderline late at worst, the kind of hit that would generally not even be a penalty. Clean hit other than being borderline late, pretty terrible suspension IMO, it's not even clearly a penalty. Most posters in this thread are massively overreacting to a hit that was pretty clean.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Why no love for jenner, hes one of the most well rounded players on that entire roster. This is hockey, you hit every player as hard as you can. No admittedly sometimes you make bad decisions, its not like he had 10 seconds to think what he should do, he made his mind up and went through his players. How many times in practice or in games do you hear your coaches tell you to finish your checks or go through a player. Its hockey, if that kid hadnt gotten hurt we wouldnt be arguing over this. I just fail how people see valuable this kid is. I mean hes tied with galchenyuk in goals and 9th in points. Hell Strome has more PIM than jenner.

Am I watching the same hit as everyone else? "Very late?" He hit the guy literally half a second after the puck was released. It was borderline late at worst, the kind of hit that would generally not even be a penalty. Clean hit other than being borderline late, pretty terrible suspension IMO, it's not even clearly a penalty. Most posters in this thread are massively overreacting to a hit that was pretty clean.

Exactly. I seriously dont understand some people, that wasnt a bad hit by any means and ive seen some bad hits, live in front of my face on the ice. The injury that kid suffered could happen to anyone playing hockey anywhere at any age simply falling on the ice, jenner just happened to help to the ice lol

Oct 15, 2008

It wasnt "literally a half second". It was 30 digital frames, or a full second late. The puck was about 60-80 feet away from the kid when he got hit.

People bending over backwards to justify the hit or blame the Swedish kid for "not having his head up" are out to lunch.

I suppose its no coincidence that approx 50% of them are CBJ fans.:shakehead

Im all for hitting, body contact and fighting too, but that hit was cheap, dirty, and reckless. Considering his past history in international events he is lucky that three games was all he got. Wouldnt surprise me at all if he does something stupid that hurts the team when he draws back into the lineup either.

There is a difference between playing hard and finishing your checks, and blatantly running guys who have long since gotten rid of the puck.

Sad that there are those who cant see the difference.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It wasnt "literally a half second". It was 30 digital frames, or a full second late. The puck was about 60-80 feet away from the kid when he got hit.

People bending over backwards to justify the hit or blame the Swedish kid for "not having his head up" are out to lunch.

I suppose its no coincidence that approx 50% of them are CBJ fans.:shakehead

Im all for hitting, body contact and fighting too, but that hit was cheap, dirty, and reckless. Considering his past history in international events he is lucky that three games was all he got. Wouldnt surprise me at all if he does something stupid that hurts the team when he draws back into the lineup either.

There is a difference between playing hard and finishing your checks, and blatantly running guys who have long since gotten rid of the puck.

Sad that there are those who cant see the difference.
a whopping full second isnt enough time to pull back from a hit. Of course the hits going to look late when you play it frame by frame by frame. At the speed the game is played a second is a blink of a eye.

Oct 15, 2008
a whopping full second isnt enough time to pull back from a hit. Of course the hits going to look late when you play it frame by frame by frame. At the speed the game is played a second is a blink of a eye.

You are telling me you cant change direction or even stop from the top of the circle to the goal line?

Ok then.:laugh:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
3 games is a lot but whatever just something the team will have to deal with. The suspension is 100% a reaction to the injury. These hits happen, call it late if you want but it's finishing your check. And yes sometimes players know that they are late and still finish their check. Cause it's hockey and its a strategy. I don't believe Jenner had intentions of hurting the opposing player, it was an unfortunate event that the player got hurt.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
You are telling me you cant change direction or even stop from the top of the circle to the goal line?

I think he's saying he wouldn't change direction. If you think the combination of you and the other player skating towards each other is going to bridge that gap in less than a second, you shouldn't - if you have NHL aspirations, of course. Boone could have made it in much less than a second, but kind of to his credit he didn't take another stride after he saw the defenseman turn up ice toward him. If Pettersson had taken just one more stride before deciding to pass the puck, it would have been far less than a second, too.

Seriously, the fact that it ended up being exactly 30 digital frames between puck leaving the stick and contact shows exactly how very slightly Jenner stepped over the line with his judgement. He totally stepped over the line, but that's probably just a penalty for someone without a record. At least, I would hope so.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax

A goalie reacts to an 80mph shot from the top of the circle in milliseconds. Jenner could change direction skating a quarter of that speed in less than a second. Jenner may or may not have been able to completely avoid him, but I have no doubt in my mind he could have stopped himself from using full force on that hit (and could likely have avoided injury).

I'm not trying to call him Goone Jenner or anything, I seriously doubt he goes on the ice trying to maliciously injure other players. It's simply the consequence of the sometimes barbaric way we coach this game. Checking is a skill to separate the puck from the man, but it's coached as "finish your checks", and used to "send a message". Jenner's presumably played high level hockey his whole life, and he's always had coaches telling him to finish his checks, send a message, and catch them if their head's down.

A player like Jenner is just going out and trying to play hard and hit hard. The excitement of playing for your country and being in a tight game could easily cause someone who is already playing on the edge to go over it. It's a shame for everyone, for Petersson to lose his shot at the WJHC, for Jenner to lose these games, and for Canada to lose a valuable guy for a game against the USA.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Your not gonna go from the top of the circle to the goal line in a second unless you're moving at a considerably fast pace. But this is hockey, these are young kids playing on big stages who easily get caught up in the game, and I get the suspension, I really do, but there's no need for all the hate on Jenner.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
The standard digital format in Europe is PAL = 25 frames per second. Since I guess PAL must be the format of the broadcast material, that should mean that Jenner had more than a second to react, given someone went frame by frame and counted the action from the puck left Pettersson's blade to the hit to 30 frames.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad