WJC: Boone Jenner Suspended 3 Games For Hit on Pettersson (MOD WARNING #422)

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This break down of the frames is ridiculous. Jenner isn't thinking if its under 25 or 30 frames. He is thinking about finishing his check. The difference between 1 second or 1.5 seconds is very hard to determine on the ice. Its too bad the player got hurt but anyone saying he got what he deserved is soft.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
This break down of the frames is ridiculous. Jenner isn't thinking if its under 25 or 30 frames. He is thinking about finishing his check. The difference between 1 second or 1.5 seconds is very hard to determine on the ice. Its too bad the player got hurt but anyone saying he got what he deserved is soft.

You MUST be able to react within one second. You are a danger for everybody on the ice otherwise...and you sure would be the worlds worst car driver as well. Humans react within 1/10s or even 1/100s of a second, especially if it's a situation you are used to.
Jenner made a bonehead decision and he's now paying the rightful price for that.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
3 games is a lot but whatever just something the team will have to deal with. The suspension is 100% a reaction to the injury. These hits happen, call it late if you want but it's finishing your check. And yes sometimes players know that they are late and still finish their check. Cause it's hockey and its a strategy. I don't believe Jenner had intentions of hurting the opposing player, it was an unfortunate event that the player got hurt.

I hate that argument. No, he didn't intend to break any bones, but he intended to hit the kid illegally. When you choose to do something (at best) wreckless and (at worst) intentionally illegal, then you can't cry "it was just an unfortunate accident" after.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

If he is completely unable to tell what is a clean hit and what is a dirty and illegal hit, he shouldn't be playing, and definitely should not be driving.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

It is?? If this were Nugent-Hopkins on the receiving end, probably myself and a he** of alot of my fellow fans here in Canada would be screaming suspension of the same amount.

This hit was terribly late, and unnecessary, a stupid play and he was punished for it, I have no issues with this sanction based on the play. Yes the game is lighting fast, but Jenner had more than enough time to change his direction, he saw a chance to light up a Swede and he took it well after the play, case closed IMO.

Oct 18, 2011
We've tried to make this clear for 15 pages, never going to get the people who think the only ones "defending" the hit to understand this. I mean no one is even defending it, just disagreeing with the punishment given.

But hey if calling me a hockey homer makes them feel better then go for it, no skin off my back, I know the game I love to watch and don't want to see it continue the downward trend of softness that has been evident for years.
Punishing someone for a blatantly late hit, is not making the game more soft

KulleKing*

Blah. Let's see if someone crushes one of canadas weak kids with a late hit, the people downplaying this **** boone will be crying murder.

Kershaw

canadian players get hit like this all the time. differemce is we dont end up in a pile of bones. we get up and keep playing and remind ourselves to keep ourheads up.

HILARIOUS!

No really.

This made my day.

RandomKeyStrokes*

or superstar sidney crosby?

I can't believe Cindy Crybaby didn't even get suspended for facebutting that swedes stick. Really, he could have broken a $200 stick, very irresponsible. Canadians should really learn how to play clean hockey like every other country.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Punishing someone for a blatantly late hit, is not making the game more soft

I don't think it was all that blatant. It was late, but only a little.

It isn't like he intentionally was trying to take Petersson out of the game. That's blatant; when it is an obvious targeting of a player and a hit to their head or something.

I think it could have been any Swedish player. Now had there been something between them and he took out Petersson like that, sure I think it could be argued to have been blatant. Had it been someone high profile like Crosby or RNH, maybe you could make that argument too.

Last edited:

masseman3

Jan 8, 2009
I can't believe Cindy Crybaby didn't even get suspended for facebutting that swedes stick. Really, he could have broken a $200 stick, very irresponsible. Canadians should really learn how to play clean hockey like every other country.

Yeah, clearly he should have been more aware of his surroundings to make sure he doesn't get hit like that. Instead he goes about doing nonsense like scoring - probably he didn't understand hockey is a contact sport. I am sure he will learn something later on when he comes back to play with the big boys in Canada instead of the sissies in international hockey.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
You MUST be able to react within one second. You are a danger for everybody on the ice otherwise...and you sure would be the worlds worst car driver as well. Humans react within 1/10s or even 1/100s of a second, especially if it's a situation you are used to.
Jenner made a bonehead decision and he's now paying the rightful price for that.

I'm not saying he couldn't react. I'm saying its hard to determine on the ice if he is going to be late. players don't have the luxury to break down the play frame by frame. What's the difference between a second or 1.5 seconds or . 7 seconds and a second. And how many seconds is late anyways. You are allowed to hit the player after the puck is gone, it just seems every year the amount of time you have to hit the player after he passes or shoots gets less and less.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I hate that argument. No, he didn't intend to break any bones, but he intended to hit the kid illegally. When you choose to do something (at best) wreckless and (at worst) intentionally illegal, then you can't cry "it was just an unfortunate accident" after.

Hits like this occur all the time and its hardly wreckless. Jenner cold make that hit 99 more times and the guy wouldn't break any bones. Like I said before the difference in a second and 1.5 seconds is very slim and is hard to determine in a fast game like hockey.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It is?? If this were Nugent-Hopkins on the receiving end, probably myself and a he** of alot of my fellow fans here in Canada would be screaming suspension of the same amount.

This hit was terribly late, and unnecessary, a stupid play and he was punished for it, I have no issues with this sanction based on the play. Yes the game is lighting fast, but Jenner had more than enough time to change his direction, he saw a chance to light up a Swede and he took it well after the play, case closed IMO.

Terribly late? Well after the play? Stupid play? I wouldn't use any of these phrases to describe the hit. What the hit comes a little over a second after the pass? Should it be under a second to be legal? What's the difference between a little over a second and under a second anyway? Very little, not really easy to determine on the ice. Call it boarder line if you like but don't be a nancy.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Terribly late? Well after the play? Stupid play? I wouldn't use any of these phrases to describe the hit. What the hit comes a little over a second after the pass? Should it be under a second to be legal? What's the difference between a little over a second and under a second anyway? Very little, not really easy to determine on the ice. Call it boarder line if you like but don't be a nancy.

<sigh>

In NHL the current standard is 0.5 secs, anything over that can/will be ruled late.

Let Bob McKenzie explain that to you:

There's no question in my mind that there will be a suspension for Aaron Rome because his hit on Nathan Horton was late. The National Hockey League has a standard, and that standard is any hit beyond half a second after the player has released the puck leads to an interference penalty. This was almost a full second.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=368117

Jenner's hit was OVER 1 second after the release. It resulted an injury.

If Aaron Rome got 4 games for the hit on Horton, how can anyone call out IIHF for this one? Later hit with tournament-ending injury in a pre-tournament game? If anything, one could argue that Jenner should have gotten more.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
<sigh>

In NHL the current standard is 0.5 secs, anything over that can/will be ruled late.

Let Bob McKenzie explain that to you:

There's no question in my mind that there will be a suspension for Aaron Rome because his hit on Nathan Horton was late. The National Hockey League has a standard, and that standard is any hit beyond half a second after the player has released the puck leads to an interference penalty. This was almost a full second.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=368117

Jenner's hit was OVER 1 second after the release. It resulted an injury.

If Aaron Rome got 4 games for the hit on Horton, how can anyone call out IIHF for this one? Later hit with tournament-ending injury in a pre-tournament game? If anything, one could argue that Jenner should have gotten more.

The Rome hit on Horton was also almost blind-side, with the principal point of contact being the head, and Rome leaving his feet through contact suggests he was lunging into the hit, too (unlike Jenner, who just glided through Pettersson). Those facts are enough to distinguish it as quite different from Jenner's hit on Pettersson. The only similarities are timing and a resulting injury. Rome got the full brunt of the touchy NHL law (already meeting, coincidentally, at the time regarding tweaks to Rule 48) for a blow to the head in a year that saw Crosby miss a half season recovering from a concussion.

With the lack of specific wording regarding the head area as a "legal target", the only way they could get Rome to justice was to rely on the lateness, but no question they wanted to penalize a blindside blow to the head with that suspension, not simply late "clean" hits that are already covered in the rule book under interference/charging.

Good luck to those on the witch hunt, if this is the best comparable they can find to hang their hat on.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

it was all of those things. it was more than a second late and the standard is 0.5 seconds. at this level of play, that's a big difference and Jenner should have known better than doing it.

to borrow xokkeu's picture from upthread, this indicates just how late the hit was. give your head a shake. :shakehead

jaja5j.png

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I can't believe this is still being argued.

:)

Agree.

Whether he hit him a little late or a lotta late is irrelevant. He hit him late and this punishment is justified for being a multiple offender. I am a CBJ fan, love Jenner's gritty game and leadership qualities. But the young man must learn the difference between being aggressive and crossing the line. Now he has hurt his team and himself but this is justified. But this doesn't all of sudden make him a bad teammate or someone I wouldn't want on my team. He made a mistake. I can't wait to see him in a CBJ uniform.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
it was all of those things. it was more than a second late and the standard is 0.5 seconds. at this level of play, that's a big difference and Jenner should have known better than doing it.
I didn't think it was that late when I first saw it. Actually I didn't think it was late until I saw the replay.

Last edited:

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

I don't know your particular stance on the matter, however, this is exactly what was said by Habs fans over and over during the Chara-Pacioretty incident. The NHL and the vast majority of HF chose to completely dismiss that and ruled it a "strong hockey play". The amount of contradiction from one case to another is starting to get ridiculous.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
No, he didn't intend to break any bones, but he intended to hit the kid illegally.

I don't think Jenner was thinking "ooh yeah I'm gonna hit this kid late here it comes!" Do you? No he likely was only thinking about hitting Petersson and not about how long it's been since Petersson passed off the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad