Confirmed with Link: Boone Jenner re-signed to multi-year deal (4 years, $3.75M AAV)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
? That is strange to hear. Guys get old where they're always playing with some kind of ailment. You don't think Corey Perry gets scratched sometimes?

When Dimitri Voronkov shows up and does everything Boone does 2x better it's going to be awkward.

Should make that line really hard to play against.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Is Jenner's contract the perfect allocation of cap space, particularly in years 3 and 4? Nope. Feels like an overpay because on the ice it is. But on-ice performance is only one consideration.

The unfortunate reality is CBJ are about to enter a period of irrelevance for at least the next 2 years. Probably 3 unless they hit big lotto luck. These are dark times we are all familiar with. High end prospects in the system will be called up and there needs to be a veteran whose been there and done that. You compensate Jenner well knowing he will show up every day, take care of his body, and do the right thing in spite of the team being bottom-of-the-barrel. Players will follow his lead. He's handsome, tough, and plays the right way. It's important. It takes a special person to do that while losing 2/3 games. Atkinson was teetering on not being able to (he said as much). Foligno - god bless him - was pretty relieved to move on. Jenner is that guy by all accounts.

From a roster construction standpoint: The only players getting paid-paid three years from now are most likely Laine and Werenski. IF either one decides they want to stick around/Laine finds his way next season and re-ups. But realistically, there's no one in the system that will command a big extension in years 3/4 of Jenner or Kuraly's deals. Jenner's/Kuraly's deals won't be prohibitive because no one important will need re-signed. And realistically, this team shouldn't be looking to add expensive veteran FAs in years 3/4 because we will be required to overpay and chances are we won't be competing for a ring yet. Johnson and Sillinger and the 2022 top picks will be finding their way in 3/4 years.

We can't rush the process. The team needs a legit teardown. There needs to be dependable leaders to guide the locker room through it. Jenner is that.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
That's what I was expecting you to say. Try penciling out a starting lineup for us in 2023-24. We're going to have make some actual tough choices between players.

Any lineup put out in pencil will be useless in a year. Anyone filling out a 2021 CBJ lineup 2 years ago would still feature Jones, PLD, and Anderson.

Hard decisions will be made. Prospects might get shipped out for established players. We could still be rebuilding, who knows. But assuming Jenner won’t be part of it just because he’s not an analytical darling or the best skater isn’t the way to go about it either

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Can you restate this in a way that I'll understand your point?

Probably not, but you asked nicely, so I will attempt.

Your post said that “when” something happens it will be awkward.

I replied that “if” the thing happens - this is probably where I lost you, since maybe you failed to allow that I’m not assuming the thing is a given - someone will figure it out because that’s what they’re paid to do.

Reactions: Nanabijou and Viqsi

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Any lineup put out in pencil will be useless in a year. Anyone filling out a 2021 CBJ lineup 2 years ago would still feature Jones, PLD, and Anderson.

This.

I’m not saying that no one is thinking 2-3 years out, or that not one should be. But any such exercise should be undertaken with the understanding that things will change.

Public school districts in Ohio are required to do five-year budget planning. Every year. Why, if the plan is for five years, do they have to do one every year? Because things change.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This.

I’m not saying that no one is thinking 2-3 years out, or that not one should be. But any such exercise should be undertaken with the understanding that things will change.

Public school districts in Ohio are required to do five-year budget planning. Every year. Why, if the plan is for five years, do they have to do one every year? Because things change.

That sounds like a good exercise, penciling things out long term every year. That doesn't sound useless to me.

"Things change" - is an odd way of trying to justify a 5 year commitment to an aging player, or a 4 year commitment to an erratic player in Kuraly. That we don't know whether they'll be worth it in a few years is the argument against the term given to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That sounds like a good exercise, penciling things out long term every year. That doesn't sound useless to me.

It’s like you’re purposely being argumentative or making presumptions about what I’m saying without even reading.

I literally said all the things you’re saying about it being a good exercise. I just happened to also mention that it’s just an exercise.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
"Things change" - is an odd way of trying to justify a 5 year commitment to an aging player, or a 4 year commitment to an erratic player in Kuraly. That we don't know whether they'll be worth it in a few years is the argument against the term given to them.

I’m not ‘trying to justify’ anything. “Things change” isn’t a justification, it’s the god’s-honest truth.

I have no problem if people think these players are shit and shouldn’t have been offered these deals. I don’t think they’re shit and I think that they’re solvable issues should they become problematic.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It’s like you’re purposely being argumentative or making presumptions about what I’m saying without even reading.

I literally said all the things you’re saying about it being a good exercise. I just happened to also mention that it’s just an exercise.

Two can play that game. Or in this case all three of us.

I was suggesting this exercise was a good idea, CBJW implied it was useless, and you seemed to agree. I didn't think you were actually opposed to long term planning but your line of argument is supporting the view that I shouldn't look into what the lineup will look like in a few years, and you'll be pushing uphill all day with that argument.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Two can play that game. Or in this case all three of us.

I was suggesting this exercise was a good idea, CBJW implied it was useless, and you seemed to agree. I didn't think you were actually opposed to long term planning but your line of argument is supporting the view that I shouldn't look into what the lineup will look like in a few years, and you'll be pushing uphill all day with that argument.

I’m sorry you’re not understanding what I’m posting, I guess?

I literally said “I’m not saying” that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
More consistant and knows his role better. That said I think Foligno was asked to do more than he was capable of so I cant be too hard on him

11 months ago in the playoffs Foligno and Jenner were used as their customary shutdown role and put to absurdly high and difficult usage by Torts. Foligno didn't fade one bit, but Jenner clearly could not keep up and had to be put on the 4th line by the final game against Tampa. Jenner in shutdown usage has mostly been a failure, as he gets outscored the way you would expect a bad defensive forward to be in such a role.

Not that we may have had any choice between the two but if someone is going to argue Jenner > Foligno, I'm going to have to strongly disagree.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I understand you perfectly well. You didn't understand the argument you jumped into. I was the one saying let's look at the long term picture.

lol I understood just fine. I agree we should look at the long picture. I also agree that when you do so you herd to realize it’s not a fixed proposition. And that it’s someone’s job to balance both of those things and navigate challenges.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m not ‘trying to justify’ anything. “Things change” isn’t a justification, it’s the god’s-honest truth.

I have no problem if people think these players are shit and shouldn’t have been offered these deals. I don’t think they’re shit and I think that they’re solvable issues should they become problematic.

Fair enough. Not much to argue about then.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
lol I understood just fine. I agree we should look at the long picture. I also agree that when you do so you herd to realize it’s not a fixed proposition. And that it’s someone’s job to balance both of those things and navigate challenges.

I'm aware of all of that.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
11 months ago in the playoffs Foligno and Jenner were used as their customary shutdown role and put to absurdly high and difficult usage by Torts. Foligno didn't fade one bit, but Jenner clearly could not keep up and had to be put on the 4th line by the final game against Tampa. Jenner in shutdown usage has mostly been a failure, as he gets outscored the way you would expect a bad defensive forward to get in such a role.

Not that we may have had any choice between the two but if someone is going to argue Jenner > Foligno, I'm going to have to strongly disagree.
I added an edit. I agree Foligno is better but I mean when he gets asked to play up and be a top 6 center or a winger that needs to carry a puck into the zone he gets inconsistant because hes being asked to do too much.
Jenner is just seen as Jenner and people know what he is and thats all hes asked to do. Being put back on the wing this year looked better to me. Not sure if the fancy stats agree but I like that version of Boone just like I like the version of Foligno where he can play his actual game

Edit: Part of my other edit didnt stick? :laugh: there was supposed to be a bit more

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I added an edit. I agree Foligno is better but I mean when he gets asked to play up and be a top 6 center or a winger that needs to carry a puck into the zone he gets inconsistant because hes being asked to do too much.
Jenner is just seen as Jenner and people know what he is and thats all hes asked to do. Being put back on the wing this year looked better to me. Not sure if the fancy stats agree but I like that version of Boone just like I like the version of Foligno where he can play his actual game

Even in usage that is above his head, Foligno still gets better results than Jenner.

I have no patience for people complaining about Foligno. After 9 years of him being our heart and soul and a very consistent competitor with at-worst solid two-way results, there's nothing more to be said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad