Confirmed with Link: Boone Jenner re-signed to multi-year deal (4 years, $3.75M AAV)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

I didn't see us naming one right away anyway. This is a new team, with new voices in the room and bunch of major ones missing.

The guys in the locker room will/should decide who the captain is. That will sort itself out over the next 2-3 months. New coaches and new coaching staff, means new relationships between the staff and the players.

Even with Larsen, the relationships between him and the players who were here previously will be changed. As an assistant you are closer to the players, as a head coach you have to step back and play more of the leader role compared to the "friend"if that makes sense. It's a fine line to walk and I'm EXTREMELY excited to see how this staff handles this opportunity.

While I think Boone still has a letter, I'm not so sure he's the automatic choice.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Boone, Bjorky, Gus, and Jake all offer good leadership in some way or another.

Boone and Bjorky are great role models on the ice but have little to say in front of the cameras. Jake has the most charisma but I hear his on-ice consistency has faded. I'll suggest Gus as a good middle ground guy that might emerge as the leader - he's very well spoken and always adapts well to whatever the team needs from him.

Like the last time we had this captain discussion (six years ago?), I'll have to admit I have no idea what works inside the room. It will be interesting to see who emerges, if they so happen to name someone in the next couple of years.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Boone, Bjorky, Gus, and Jake all offer good leadership in some way or another.

Boone and Bjorky are great role models on the ice but have little to say in front of the cameras. Jake has the most charisma but I hear his on-ice consistency has faded. I'll suggest Gus as a good middle ground guy that might emerge as the leader - he's very well spoken and always adapts well to whatever the team needs from him.

Like the last time we had this captain discussion (six years ago?), I'll have to admit I have no idea what works inside the room. It will be interesting to see who emerges, if they so happen to name someone in the next couple of years.
It makes sense on why its easy when you have a star to make them captain. Its just easy and rarely questioned. These days trying to navigate so many personalities has to be pretty tricky. I was all for Dubi for captain last go around because thats how I was and how I liked my leaders to be but I definitely understand its not for everyone.
Boone outs his head down and just works, pretty much what you expect from a farm boy but is that captain material?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It makes sense on why its easy when you have a star to make them captain. Its just easy and rarely questioned. These days trying to navigate so many personalities has to be pretty tricky. I was all for Dubi for captain last go around because thats how I was and how I liked my leaders to be but I definitely understand its not for everyone.
Boone outs his head down and just works, pretty much what you expect from a farm boy but is that captain material?

No one is going to be perfect for everyone but I'll suggest some basic public speaking ability as a bare prerequisite for the captain.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
No one is going to be perfect for everyone but I'll suggest some basic public speaking ability as a bare prerequisite for the captain.
Yeah for sure, like Larsen said with his new role being in front of the camera is one of the biggest changes. Atleast within a room letters only mean so much.
Its nice for whoever gets it and whenever they get it they atleast dont need to deal with Canadian media or any other place that turns on you in a split second.
Foligno really took that role and blossomed but seems like such a personable guy anyway so we can only be so lucky to have that again.

Reactions: majormajor

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Even with Larsen, the relationships between him and the players who were here previously will be changed. As an assistant you are closer to the players, as a head coach you have to step back and play more of the leader role compared to the "friend"if that makes sense. It's a fine line to walk and I'm EXTREMELY excited to see how this staff handles this opportunity.
You articulated this well. I'm excited too. I remember some of the players made a point to sit in during Larsen's intro presser. Which is a good sign...but as you said, was he the shoulder to cry on after Torts made their lives hell on a regular basis? We shall see how the dynamic changes.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
You articulated this well. I'm excited too. I remember some of the players made a point to sit in during Larsen's intro presser. Which is a good sign...but as you said, was he the shoulder to cry on after Torts made their lives hell on a regular basis? We shall see how the dynamic changes.
With so much roster turnover it should be a smooth transition. I am interested to see how he wants the team to play and how he handles being the bench boss after so long.

Also I think your life was hell with Torts only if you werent willing to work. I didnt like all of his choices as coach but as a person all he did was challenge players and didnt let them off the hook. Thats incredibly valuable and something I hope coach Larsen carries on. He doesnt have to enforce it the same way but everyone needs to be challenged to improve

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
With so much roster turnover it should be a smooth transition. I am interested to see how he wants the team to play and how he handles being the bench boss after so long.

Also I think your life was hell with Torts only if you werent willing to work. I didnt like all of his choices as coach but as a person all he did was challenge players and didnt let them off the hook. Thats incredibly valuable and something I hope coach Larsen carries on. He doesnt have to enforce it the same way but everyone needs to be challenged to improve
I think from listening to Larsen's interviews through the last few months, work ethic and effort off and on the ice were at least one of the few areas Larsen and Torts saw eye to eye. But I think we're gonna see a completely different style of coaching when it comes to most other aspects.

Reactions: LJ7201 and stevo61

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think it will be obvious in training camp.

If it isn't then we still have huge gaps to fill for a rebuild to occur. It is going to need a strong leader on the ice to make it happen. The leader is in the room now or it isn't.

Meh, the "C" is largely ceremonial. It's more an outward showing of support from the franchise than it means anything internally. By all accounts, Foligno was the leader of the room already during the captain-less years. Giving him the C was just the front office declaring so publicly, and in large part at the behest of the players so they would stop having to answer such questions.

If it's Boone, it's Boone. If it's someone else, that's fine. Stitching a "C" on one's jersey won't change whether or not they're a leader.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
We should make Seth Jones our captain, just to confuse everyone. Tell the NHL we're going to have one player on ice at all times whose helmet says "Surrogate" and will be in constant communication with Jones for on-ice discussions with the refs as needed. This was all stipulated in the trade.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Meh, the "C" is largely ceremonial. It's more an outward showing of support from the franchise than it means anything internally. By all accounts, Foligno was the leader of the room already during the captain-less years. Giving him the C was just the front office declaring so publicly, and in large part at the behest of the players so they would stop having to answer such questions.

If it's Boone, it's Boone. If it's someone else, that's fine. Stitching a "C" on one's jersey won't change whether or not they're a leader.
This is true but I’m talking about being a leader in general. If there are no obvious leaders then there is no one obvious to wear a letter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad