Booing at Wild (home) games

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
You and your friend sound like entitled adults who never matured. Why should children be expected to behave out of respect for you and your money paid if you aren't going to do the same in return to other customers?

Okay...?

No where in that post did I say that I expected the children to behave out of respect for me, so maybe check your reading comprehension skills?

My comment about what boggles my mind was why on earth would you take a 4 or a 6 year old kid to a restaurant where the steaks are ala carte at $50 per, at the base. To have the audacity to complain about another set of patrons when their kids are scrambling around, under the table?

The expectations were not coming from me, but them. They demanded to the manager that we change our behavior, while letting their brats misbehave. I expect that sort of behavior at Applebees, not a 5-star. We did not demand that they change their behavior. In fact, we were patently ignoring it and going on with our conversation as normal.

Normal.

The table over? A group of businessmen who were well sauced, telling raunchy tales about what they did on their last business trip. I assure you, that our minimal swearing paled in comparison to a rather large and drunk individual regaling his table mates with tales about his anal intercourse with the booth babe working the next booth over.

The same holds true for a hockey game. I have been to several different arenas now and it also boggles my mind that a parent would drop $50-$100 on a ticket for a child to sit in the lower bowl and all they do is play at sword fighting with their newly purchased foam fingers. Does that make me sound snobbish or like I feel entitled to anything? No. That is me, wondering WTF were the parents thinking, dragging a 5 year old to an expensive hockey game just to have them run around like they are in a McDonalds Playland.

On the polar opposite side of the spectrum, I have also been to hockey games with families of kids that were actually INTO the hockey being played. Those parents taught their kids that they are there to watch the game, not attempt to pick their nose with a foam wolf-bear-cat claw...

/sigh

At this point, the only thought in my head is; "Why did I bother responding?"

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
I have no problem with people booing at the end of a sloppy period, like the first period against Detroit. I want to see honest effort, battles for every puck, and an organized, structured game. When players are dragging ass out there, they deserve to hear it from the fans. Maybe it'll get them a little angry, it'll get the coaches a little angry, and they'll come out fired up for the next period. There's nothing wrong with a little anger from the fans. This is not elementary school, we don't have to tell them 'good job' and give them participation ribbons for everything.

This is the closest post that fits my philosophy. It's easy to boo professional players from the comfort of our home or seats. Sometimes it's too easy; especially on blogs or message boards. I'd rather boo someone in person than be passive-aggressive about it but it needs to be something where the effort is not up to par. There's a big difference from a period where the effort was there but the goals were not to being out-scored, out-worked and out-hustled.

We pride ourselves on being knowledgeable hockey fans and it goes both ways. If you boo, make sure it's in a spot that makes sense and drives the message through (i.e. the opposite of cheering for killing a two minute 5x3).

Different note: Had the issue of being at Soldier Field this weekend with a section that had a few Chicagoland families who didn't know Minnesota or Wisconsin's cheers (a couple have swears). That was more interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad