Booing at Wild (home) games

651*

What's this all about? It seems to be pretty prevalent at our home games and I find it really classless, certainly in games we are in or are close. You didn't even hear it at Isles or Panther games yesterday in which both teams got beat pretty handily. A close second pet peeve is the people who insist on yelling "shooooooooot!"when we're on the PP. WTH?

It's like, c'mon, dudes. We're the most knowledgeable fans in the entire country and should know better.

:whaaa?: 2cents

Billy Mays Here*

When fans get fed up with the team it leads to booing, pretty simple. Compared to a place like Montreal, Wild fans are quite tame. The only booing on Sunday's game was a little bit after the 1st period, and of course on Wild penalties, but every crowd does that.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I like it. Shows they're/we're not OK with mediocrity anymore. Our expectations are raised and if they're playing like ****, it's good to let them know that we know. Show me someone who boos their own team (when called for) and I'll show you someone who is passionate.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I used to think it was classless as well, until I had a long conversation with a Canadian friend of mine about this(he's a Nuckers fan, but he's still cool..).

It is our job as fans to be engaged in the game. We need to motivate and participate in the game with our team. One of the greatest things about hockey is that because it is constant and so fast paced, it should be easy to get involved.

If our team is stinking, they need to know dammit. We pay their salaries, their multi-million dollar salaries. They better earn those ****ing salaries, and if they're not, we, as fans, have every right to let them know our displeasure. Also, because we ARE knowledgeable fans, we should know enough about the game to know when to praise our team and when to let them know our displeasure.

Great fans participate, they give the place energy. This is ****ing hockey! Not the damned ice capades.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I used to think it was classless as well, until I had a long conversation with a Canadian friend of mine about this(he's a Nuckers fan, but he's still cool..).

It is our job as fans to be engaged in the game. We need to motivate and participate in the game with our team. One of the greatest things about hockey is that because it is constant and so fast paced, it should be easy to get involved.

If our team is stinking, they need to know dammit. We pay their salaries, their multi-million dollar salaries. They better earn those ****ing salaries, and if they're not, we, as fans, have every right to let them know our displeasure. Also, because we ARE knowledgeable fans, we should know enough about the game to know when to praise our team and when to let them know our displeasure.

Great fans participate, they give the place energy. This is ****ing hockey! Not the damned ice capades.

I'll be honest, i'm not the greatest fan at the X. Don't get me wrong, i get involved a little, but i usually just call out nice plays by players and like to play close attention And I usually don't boo unless i really disagree with a penalty call. I only go to like 3 or 4 games a year cause of $$$ tho.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
It's like, c'mon, dudes. We're the most knowledgeable fans in the entire country and should know better.

I totally see what you mean here. I have a friend from BC who of course has talked about the Vancouver/Calgary rivalry. The Canuck fans often make fun of how silent Calgary fans are during games. You can hear a pin drop sometimes, they are so quiet but it's due to taking in the game. That are really that serious while watching the game because they care about the sport so much. They only get loud when something exciting happens. Otherwise, they are silently studying, watching the game.

In this case, the Flames fans are not remotely uninterested and without passion and care, just the opposite. I kind of think that's cool.

I guess overall I am middle of the road. I like passion but positive passion. I rather not hear the boos to be honest. I think there are other ways to show you care and have high expectations. In some circumstances, I can see where the boos can legitimately come out, though.

Oh, I definitely hate the "shoot" bit.

OpRedDawn*

Well, maybe they should also stop playing 100 commercials / game telling us how great parise and suter will make this team

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
There are times when I feel bad for the guys when the score isn't reflective of work the guys have been putting in and they get booed. They need cheering to get them going, not booing.

I think we should start saying score instead of shoot.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I will boo the hell out of them if they are playing like crap. I'm not paying $150+ to see some guys half assing it out there. If they don't like it, maybe they ought to play better.

By the same token, you'll also get crazy cheering for killing a 4-minute penalty. So it does work both ways.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
If I paid for a ticket and the team is playing like crap you bet I'm gonna boo. I need to voice my displeasure somehow. What else am I going to do, some Bronx cheers? I'm more than ok with booing, it makes you look anything but "unknowledgeable" .

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Also, I'm still guilty as hell about yelling "OFF!" anytime someone is offsides, even if I'm in the 200 level...or at home. Literally every time.

Same :laugh:

Also like to play linesman on a close icing...like yell 'No' if it's not far enough.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
It is classless.

Ask yourself one question: Would you ever CHEER an opposing team? Of course not. Booing your own team is equivalent.

Cheering is for your team.
Booing is for opponents.

LACK of cheering is enough to notify your team that you aren't pleased. Booing just makes you look like an ass.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I never boo my own team. I find it classless, regardless of how they're playing. I'm not going to cheer for them if they're playing like crap either, but I don't like booing. If they're playing like ****, you can bet they know that even without the boos.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
I am one of those fans, who go to a game to watch it for the hockey. I see no thrill in banging on the glass the whole game, or doing the wave, or clapping thundersticks together.

I want to watch the action and the players, many times how they are playing away from the puck.

I cheer a goal, or good penalty kill. But at the end of a period, the team is playing lifeless, crappy hockey. I will boo. However just being behind at the end of the period does not mean I boo. The team could still be playing well, just not getting the goals.

Also, how many times do you see players get interviewed and they mention how they like to play in front of knowledgeable fans like in Minnesota. In many interviews, I have heard players say ... "they know when to cheer... penalty kills, etc., and they also boo us when we deserve to be booed."

So if the players don't see anything wrong with it, why should I.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I'd rather be a "classless" fan who actually sounds like he gives a damn than a fan that stays quiet because its 'rude'. At least with boos you show that you care, staying quiet makes you look like an apathetic fan who has given up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad