Booing at Wild (home) games

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i can see the booers have every right to boo, too. even the ones who don't know what's going on. But there are people at games now who feel they have to be the loud guy just for the sake of attention whoring and it's those people who drive me nuts.

the skoula heckler was hilarious, btw (speaking of attention whoring). anyone remember him? i was a skoula fan and even i thought it was funny.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
i can see the booers have every right to boo, too. even the ones who don't know what's going on. But there are people at games now who feel they have to be the loud guy just for the sake of attention whoring and it's those people who drive me nuts.

the skoula heckler was hilarious, btw (speaking of attention whoring). anyone remember him? i was a skoula fan and even i thought it was funny.

oh that I agree with. Like I said I am openly critical of players when they are botching stuff up. But I don't scream it out like a moron. The people around me are certainly hearing it though.

if she was hot they would. ;)

white knights are everywhere!

HAHA touche my friend :)

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
I have no problem with people booing at the end of a sloppy period, like the first period against Detroit. I want to see honest effort, battles for every puck, and an organized, structured game. When players are dragging ass out there, they deserve to hear it from the fans. Maybe it'll get them a little angry, it'll get the coaches a little angry, and they'll come out fired up for the next period. There's nothing wrong with a little anger from the fans. This is not elementary school, we don't have to tell them 'good job' and give them participation ribbons for everything.

651*

Man after my own heart. I am very outspoken at how quiet we are, I can't stand it.

As for yelling "shoot" I don't get the hate. We are a pass happy team and it drives many fans insane. Yelling shoot is like booing the pass happy offense we have, which I fully endorse. People always say "people who yell shoot know nothing about hockey and are idiots blah blah blah." I guess to make themselves feel like great hockey minds, but if you really paid attention you'd see there's usually a good rationale for yelling shoot.
And what pro or college team did you play for?

How in the world would you know my skill set and how learned in the game of hockey I am.

You think that is booing?? Not even close. I had a couple a few rows ahead of me complaining to the usher because, and I quote: "these damn kids think this is a college game, I paid good money to not listen to people swear and boo." YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.

Really? You think I want my kid sitting - more observing - middle- and old-aged men screaming and swearing like bafoons in the stands at the X?

If you think that a venue that has hundreds - maybe thousands - of kids is a place where profanity and vulgar displays are good I don't know what to say to you.

Emilie

Feb 6, 2013
MN
If you think that a venue that has hundreds - maybe thousands - of kids is a place where profanity and vulgar displays are good I don't know what to say to you.

No one should be bringing a kid to a professional sports game and not expect them to hear swearing. There are FAR to many drunk people/people who just don't care that there are kids around.

My brother is nine and my sister is 4. I usually bring them to a game or two a season. Usually people clean up their language a bit when they are directly around the kids, but I always have a discussion with them before the game about how sometimes people say things that aren't appropriate to say. That's my job as their guardian for the day.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
No one should be bringing a kid to a professional sports game and not expect them to hear swearing. There are FAR to many drunk people/people who just don't care that there are kids around.

My brother is nine and my sister is 4. I usually bring them to a game or two a season. Usually people clean up their language a bit when they are directly around the kids, but I always have a discussion with them before the game about how sometimes people say things that aren't appropriate to say. That's my job as their guardian for the day.

I agree with this...but I really do wish that fans could tone down the language a bit if they are sitting around kids...if nothing else, out of respect for their virgin ears and the parents who brought them.

I've been known to have a few beers at a Wild game, myself....and I'm no choir boy when it comes to my choice of words at times...but I'm also a parent, so maybe it just comes natural to me to pay attention to my surroundings before I might let loose with an "F"-bomb.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't ever boo my teams, but I don't cheer either unless I have a reason to.

Same here....Personally, I just don't feel right booing the home town squad, no matter how poor they are playing. I'll just sit there quietely, mutter under my breath (like any good passive-aggressive Minnesotan), and cheer wildly when they give me something to cheer about.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Same here....Personally, I just don't feel right booing the home town squad, no matter how poor they are playing. I'll just sit there quietely, mutter under my breath (like any good passive-aggressive Minnesotan), and cheer wildly when they give me something to cheer about.

Yep. And it makes those moments of glory, when your team is playing at their absolute best and follows through with what no one thought was possible, even better.

A non-Wild example: Espoo Blues (FEL team) has never won the Finnish championship. But in 2008, they came close, eventually finishing 2nd in the regular season. They faced HIFK, their rivals from Helsinki in the quarter finals. They won, 4-1 in a best of 7. Next up was Jokerit, also a rival team from Helsinki. Jokerit got a better start to the series, leading it 3 games to 1 but Blues bounced back, stretching it to game 7. I was watching that very game in Espoo. The team played in front of their home crowd, having never made the finals before. Jokerit had almost as many supporters in the arena, and the whole game was essentially a cheering war. Very physical, very good hockey played. Blues finally won the game 5-3, shutting the obnoxious Jokerit cheering squad down and making the finals for the 1st time.

They lost the finals, 4-1, but hey.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota

That is the responsible thing to do; explain it in advance.

As someone that swears an awful lot in regular conversation, I always attempt to make an effort to not swear around children. I dropped the F-bomb around one of my cousin-in-law kids, and she wigged. Granted, I felt that it was warranted, because one of the other kids was running and was right at the height of... hitting me in the nuts with their head.

I have a friend that doesn't even make an attempt to clean up her mouth in public. We have almost gotten kicked out of a restaurant because of it, but I told the manager that "If the parents don't want their kids to hear swear words, then they shouldn't ****ing take them out in public."

It was a high priced restaurant as well. We were "gold members" at the time. Why the hell would you take 4-6 year old kids out to a place like that boggles my mind. Especially when the parents were kevetching about the bill when it finally arrived. I avoid Applebees entirely because I can't stand being surrounded by screaming kids. I don't want to deal with them at places like Capital Grille, Manny's or Ruth's Chris.

Billy Mays Here*

I don't ever boo my teams, but I don't cheer either unless I have a reason to.

Pretty much me as well. Unlike the guy in my avatar, I'm very quiet and reserved when I go to public places.

If you pay for your ticket you can yell or boo whatever you want.

You couldn't be more wrong. There's something called respect for others around you. Are you saying you'd scream profanities at the top of your lungs if there's two children on either side of you simply because you "payed for your own ticket"?

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
That is the responsible thing to do; explain it in advance.

As someone that swears an awful lot in regular conversation, I always attempt to make an effort to not swear around children. I dropped the F-bomb around one of my cousin-in-law kids, and she wigged. Granted, I felt that it was warranted, because one of the other kids was running and was right at the height of... hitting me in the nuts with their head.

I have a friend that doesn't even make an attempt to clean up her mouth in public. We have almost gotten kicked out of a restaurant because of it, but I told the manager that "If the parents don't want their kids to hear swear words, then they shouldn't ****ing take them out in public."

It was a high priced restaurant as well. We were "gold members" at the time. Why the hell would you take 4-6 year old kids out to a place like that boggles my mind. Especially when the parents were kevetching about the bill when it finally arrived. I avoid Applebees entirely because I can't stand being surrounded by screaming kids. I don't want to deal with them at places like Capital Grille, Manny's or Ruth's Chris.

This post is brilliant, even if it makes you look like a bit of a snob for the restaurant bit.

I can't ****ing stand screaming kids, or kids in general, if I'm enjoying a meal or in a sporting event.

I tend to swear quite a bit in regular conversation as well, but I try to clean it up when there are kids around, even if I have no reason to. Same with red traffic lights, I mercilessly cross the road even if the light is red unless there are kids around. I also help single mothers with baby trolleys when they exit the bus, because it's a pain in the ass to try and stabilize the trolley, especially in a larger gap like the ones in older trains.

But parents who make a show about the fact that they have kids around and are expecting and even demanding other people to change their behavior around kids in public place? They deserve a slap in the face, at least. I can tell that most decent people change their language and behavior around children because they feel it's the right thing to do, but parents have no right to demand another human to act in a certain way just because they have a child around his/her vicinity. They have no right to do so, since it's a ****ing PUBLIC place. As you said, if one does not like it, one can also leave their kids home while going to a public place. It's not a ****ing la-la-land covered in sugar bears and ****ing pink ponies. It's the real world, and everyone can't be Mr. Rogers in the real world.

Oh, and one more thing: People looking at me badly for smoking in the bus stop. **** you, I smoke if I have to wait for a bus. It's a habit. Besides, I always step aside (even if it's raining) from the cover and usually downwind. People have no right to complain to me about the smoking if I do it without harming anyone else and making a small effort to do it that way. Only exception: Baby trolleys, again. If there is a chance the baby has to breathe the smoke, I don't light up. Baby, or a real small child/toddler, like under 7 years old. My mother smoked when I was little, possibly even when she was pregnant though I don't know that for a fact obviously. She quit when I was 5, but I still remember that the whole living room smelt of stale smoke because she always left the balcony door open. It also got real cold. That said, it wasn't as bad as those parents who just smoked inside... :facepalm:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
You couldn't be more wrong. There's something called respect for others around you. Are you saying you'd scream profanities at the top of your lungs if there's two children on either side of you simply because you "payed for your own ticket"?

Umm, isn't it "paid", not "payed"?

651*

Right. Because all adults are more than happy to hear vulgar filth spewed about in a public place, especially when they pay decent money to frequent it. :facepalm:

I use profanity, sure, but I sure as hell know there is a time and place for everything. Not sure what farm you were raised on. :facepalm:

Emilie

Feb 6, 2013
MN
This post is brilliant, even if it makes you look like a bit of a snob for the restaurant bit.

I can't ****ing stand screaming kids, or kids in general, if I'm enjoying a meal or in a sporting event.

I tend to swear quite a bit in regular conversation as well, but I try to clean it up when there are kids around, even if I have no reason to. Same with red traffic lights, I mercilessly cross the road even if the light is red unless there are kids around. I also help single mothers with baby trolleys when they exit the bus, because it's a pain in the ass to try and stabilize the trolley, especially in a larger gap like the ones in older trains.

But parents who make a show about the fact that they have kids around and are expecting and even demanding other people to change their behavior around kids in public place? They deserve a slap in the face, at least. I can tell that most decent people change their language and behavior around children because they feel it's the right thing to do, but parents have no right to demand another human to act in a certain way just because they have a child around his/her vicinity. They have no right to do so, since it's a ****ing PUBLIC place. As you said, if one does not like it, one can also leave their kids home while going to a public place. It's not a ****ing la-la-land covered in sugar bears and ****ing pink ponies. It's the real world, and everyone can't be Mr. Rogers in the real world.

Oh, and one more thing: People looking at me badly for smoking in the bus stop. **** you, I smoke if I have to wait for a bus. It's a habit. Besides, I always step aside (even if it's raining) from the cover and usually downwind. People have no right to complain to me about the smoking if I do it without harming anyone else and making a small effort to do it that way. Only exception: Baby trolleys, again. If there is a chance the baby has to breathe the smoke, I don't light up. Baby, or a real small child/toddler, like under 7 years old. My mother smoked when I was little, possibly even when she was pregnant though I don't know that for a fact obviously. She quit when I was 5, but I still remember that the whole living room smelt of stale smoke because she always left the balcony door open. It also got real cold. That said, it wasn't as bad as those parents who just smoked inside... :facepalm:

Oh my god. This. I had two dads and their daughters in the seats next to me for the Wings game, and both girls would scream at the highest possible decibel for extended periods of time. Shrieking in my ear, the whole game. I finally had to say something to the dads, who responded with something to the effect of "well they are kids, what do you expect?". They were probably around 10, and definitely knew better. I was speechless. I don't pay the amount of money I do for these tickets to hear your kids scream for no reason.

(someone else responded to them, and eventually the kids shut up, but at that point the game was almost over)

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
And what pro or college team did you play for?

How in the world would you know my skill set and how learned in the game of hockey I am.

Really? You think I want my kid sitting - more observing - middle- and old-aged men screaming and swearing like bafoons in the stands at the X?

While I completely respect and appreciate wanting to protect your kids from some of the less savory aspects of life, fact is, NHL games are like that. I'm not saying it's ok for people to go around swearing and spitting unnecessarily, but it's going to happen to some extent.

Any pro-venue like that is going to have a bit of that atmosphere, and it really needs to be expected. You are not entitled to go into a venue like that and not encounter any of that behavior. If you don't want to encounter any of that behavior, don't go.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.

You and your friend sound like entitled adults who never matured. Why should children be expected to behave out of respect for you and your money paid if you aren't going to do the same in return to other customers?

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
This thread seems to have turned into a whole different discussion.

I swear alot in general at home, i do not in public and it isn't difficult for me to temper it and it shouldn't be for any other adult either. I attend alot of sporting events and i have on occasion encountered that "guy", the one who can't control himself and is purposefully ranting and screaming. That "guy" needs to be tossed whether he paid or payed for his ticket. I am not talking about just letting a cuss word out after your team gives up a score but the one who just goes on and on and on. It detracts from the experience for everyone else around that "guy".

Short story...just before the family moved to Seattle we went to a Twins game (metrodome), last chance for us to see the Twins in Minnesota and Twins games were a special thing to our family. There was that "guy" right near us, he was screaming and yelling and obscenities were flying. Finally this man who was the biggest SOB i had ever seen walked over to where this guy was sitting, leaned over and quietly said something to him and not a word was heard out of that buffoon the rest of the night.

651*

You and your friend sound like entitled adults who never matured. Why should children be expected to behave out of respect for you and your money paid if you aren't going to do the same in return to other customers?
Oh, snap. :)

This thread seems to have turned into a whole different discussion.

I swear alot in general at home, i do not in public and it isn't difficult for me to temper it and it shouldn't be for any other adult either. I attend alot of sporting events and i have on occasion encountered that "guy", the one who can't control himself and is purposefully ranting and screaming. That "guy" needs to be tossed whether he paid or payed for his ticket. I am not talking about just letting a cuss word out after your team gives up a score but the one who just goes on and on and on. It detracts from the experience for everyone else around that "guy".

Short story...just before the family moved to Seattle we went to a Twins game (metrodome), last chance for us to see the Twins in Minnesota and Twins games were a special thing to our family. There was that "guy" right near us, he was screaming and yelling and obscenities were flying. Finally this man who was the biggest SOB i had ever seen walked over to where this guy was sitting, leaned over and quietly said something to him and not a word was heard out of that buffoon the rest of the night.

Maybe that "guy" should've been brought to detox. :sarcasm:

As far as the OP diverting, I think the swearing thing many times accompanies the booing thing, but sure they are unique themselves.

I generally don't recall cussing in my section (210) when I was season ticket holder for five years so I never really had a problem with it - we did have a season ticket holder in our row though that was SPPD, so that might have helped ;); the booing thing though...just irks me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad