Boo Birds

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
I have no problem booing after a horrible game, regardless of the team's current standing. They could have gone 20-0-0 to start the season and I would still boo after a blowout.

However, I agree fully with the OP. There is no doubt that the ACC is one of the quietest barns in the league, which is pathetic given the size of the Leafs fan base. The ACC is very morgue like. Heck, even when the Leafs played the Bruins in the playoffs it was relatively quiet in comparison to the Habs and Sens. The one exception was the "Thank you Seguin" game. Maple Leaf square is infinitely more energetic and lively and even Jim Hughson acknowledged it.

The thing is many others have noticed the same. The media, players, coaches and other fan bases have all called out the quiet atmosphere at the ACC, which pales in comparison to the Habs, Jets, Oilers, etc. which often sounds like they are just off a back-to-back Stanley Cup championships.

The plus side is the rest of Leaf nation does not share the same quiet demeanor. The atmosphere from Leaf fans in Buffalo, Ottawa and Montreal is electric.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Boo-ing has been a part of sport fandom since fans have been around. I'm sorry but if you don't realize that and want to shelter your kids from *GASP* boos, perhaps take him or her to the opera next time. Boo-ing does not make one a hooligan by the way, the implication is absurd. If you want to invoke some sort of civil decay because someone boos, then I'd take exception at someone trying to tell me I couldn't boo, as is my right. If you don't like booing, don't watch sports. Get over yourselves.

Stoning people to death has been a part of our culture for a long time, it's only very recently being seen as abhorrent.

Just because something has always been done a certain way, doesn't mean it is a right thing to do.

As for not watching sports if I don't like booing, that's just plain dumb. Booing is not required for sports to occur. Therefore if I want to enjoy sports, I should be able to enjoy it for what it is, sport. Athletic displays, strategy, endurance, etc.

Booing is something that some people do who watch sports. They aren't "essential" components to the game, or even to the act of watching the game.

Therefore I would say that if you don't like watching games without disturbing other people with your booing, then don't watch/attend games.

If you CAN control yourself and not boo, then enjoy the games. It's that simple.

Also, booing isn't a right. A right is something that every person should have the freedom to do, as it is an essential component to life/happiness.

The suggestion that booing is a right holds the same amount of water as cigarette smoking being a right.

Just because it's something you enjoy, and (for the most part) only directly affects you (and to a lesser degree, those in your vicinity), doesn't mean you have some intrinsic right to do it. It's not "essential" to life/happiness, it's simply a luxury.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
I'm glad we have another "Leafs Suck" thread. This is just what this place needed - a refreshing change of pace.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I don't understand as to why these guys took it upon themselves to voice their displeasure at a team that had just gone 8-1-1 three games prior.

If we're going to be known to have the quietest arena in the NHL, mind as well use the Boos when its really warranted.

Things going well: Silence.
Things going bad: Boos.

If I was a player on this team, I'd be ticked-off.

Hopefully they'll all waive their no trade clauses and demand to be traded.

Wendigo

Nov 27, 2013
Stoning people to death has been a part of our culture for a long time, it's only very recently being seen as abhorrent.

Just because something has always been done a certain way, doesn't mean it is a right thing to do.

As for not watching sports if I don't like booing, that's just plain dumb. Booing is not required for sports to occur. Therefore if I want to enjoy sports, I should be able to enjoy it for what it is, sport. Athletic displays, strategy, endurance, etc.

Booing is something that some people do who watch sports. They aren't "essential" components to the game, or even to the act of watching the game.

Therefore I would say that if you don't like watching games without disturbing other people with your booing, then don't watch/attend games.

If you CAN control yourself and not boo, then enjoy the games. It's that simple.

Also, booing isn't a right. A right is something that every person should have the freedom to do, as it is an essential component to life/happiness.

The suggestion that booing is a right holds the same amount of water as cigarette smoking being a right.

Just because it's something you enjoy, and (for the most part) only directly affects you (and to a lesser degree, those in your vicinity), doesn't mean you have some intrinsic right to do it. It's not "essential" to life/happiness, it's simply a luxury.

Stoning people has never been a part of our culture. Other cultures perhaps, but not ours. Did you really compare booing to stoning? Here's a luxury you just made use of: hyperbole

Furthermore, watching/following/attending professional hockey games is also inherently a luxury, thus all proceeding events in attending such a luxury are intrinsically part of that experience; including luxurious boo-ing. By the way you misquoted: I didn't indicate that booing was an "essential" part of the sport.

If I might add, you're rationale would single-handedly abandon almost every endeavour of expression in our culture by the way. James Joyce's "Ulysses" - a luxury, yet offensive to some. "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift - another luxury, by your definition. "La Guernica" (Picasso), and yes even the sour-tasting tomes such as "Mein Kampf" (Adolf Hitler). Expression is a right, and an essential one to our culture; and not expression by the one's the few pick and choose (i.e. censorship). Booing is such a form expression; in fact it's less vitriolic than what many post here. Freedom of expression IS NOT a luxury but IS an essential component to life/happiness; in fact if falls under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and does so for a very good reason.

My recommendaiton for those who are able to enjoy the luxury of attending Leafs games: viewer discretion is advised. As for someone telling me not to attend a Leaf game because I might boo, I'll add that freedom of mobility is also a fundamental part of the Charter.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Because a fan should be a fan, not an anti-fan.

People are so up-in-arms about the on-ice performance of the team on a particular night. If we were winning all our games 10-0 then lost the last game of the season 5-1 we should boo? That's insane.

So if I take my son to go see his first hockey game and the team plays poorly, his first memory of a Leaf game gets to be ruined by fan politics? He's not allowed to be excited about attending a game, a mother effing GAME, that's meant to be entertainment, and not life/death or some abstract dispute over freedom of speech and what that even means...

Why can't people just be excited about seeing a hockey game anymore? It has to be about whether a person has the right to behave like a spoiled two-year-old throwing a tantrum, all in the name of "voicing their opinion".

As a fan, I'm embarrassed by it. As a parent, I'm disgusted people think they've got some God-given right to make a scene and embarrass the organization they purport to be a "fan" of.

There is no viable excuse for it.

It's just rude and disgusting and a terrible example/standard to set for ourselves and for those that will come after us.

Anywhere else it's considered classless.

If I don't want to end up on YouTube as some "freak" I can't go into a McDonald's after they eff my order up and freak out on the manager, and chuck my the Big Mac that was supposed to be a Double Big Mac at the sandwich station clerk's head and pour my soda on the register.

Why do we think it's okay to yell at the players/coaches and throw jerseys and debris on the ice?

Maybe people should start throwing sandwiches at McDonalds, in the name of freedom of speech. Oh wait, I guess McDonalds employees are paid too little?

Okay, so I will go to McDonalds HQ and chuck my sandwich at the CEO and tell him he doesn't know what he's doing because someone in Winnipeg didn't understand me when I said the word "double"... :rant:

Because throwing objects at people is assault and lobbing a sweater on the ice at a game during a stoppage isn't.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Stoning people has never been a part of our culture. Other cultures perhaps, but not ours. Did you really compare booing to stoning? Here's a luxury you just made use of: hyperbole

Furthermore, watching/following/attending professional hockey games is also inherently a luxury, thus all proceeding events in attending such a luxury are intrinsically part of that experience; including luxurious boo-ing. By the way you misquoted: I didn't indicate that booing was an "essential" part of the sport.

If I might add, you're rationale would single-handedly abandon almost every endeavour of expression in our culture by the way. James Joyce's "Ulysses" - a luxury, yet offensive to some. "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift - another luxury, by your definition. "La Guernica" (Picasso), and yes even the sour-tasting tomes such as "Mein Kampf" (Adolf Hitler). Expression is a right, and an essential one to our culture; and not expression by the one's the few pick and choose (i.e. censorship). Booing is such a form expression; in fact it's less vitriolic than what many post here. Freedom of expression IS NOT a luxury but IS an essential component to life/happiness; in fact if falls under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and does so for a very good reason.

My recommendaiton for those who are able to enjoy the luxury of attending Leafs games: viewer discretion is advised. As for someone telling me not to attend a Leaf game because I might boo, I'll add that freedom of mobility is also a fundamental part of the Charter.

I'm getting a sweet tickle getting "schooled" for comparing booing to stoning when you counter by comparing it to Picasso or Jonathan Swift.

I suppose it does fit somewhere in that spectrum. :laugh:

I'm a little perplexed at how you're tying together that point about freedom of mobility. That freedom was enacted to ensure that Canadians had the right to move anywhere in the country to pursue opportunities (i.e. economic/employment). It really doesn't have any bearing on whether you can cross the street or not.

I mean, frankly, based on your interpretation, it's an infringement of our rights when police tape gets put up around a crime scene.

"No officer, I want to take a selfie next to that chalk outline. You're infringing on my Human Rights!"

The point I was making is that it's rude behaviour, and that people should take stock of what they're doing. I'm not saying they can't choose to behave how they wish. If other Hitler-wannabes want to write their own "Mein Kampfs", by all means, express yourselves.

But booing is not a creative, intelligent work with negative associations. It's boorish behaviour and completely unintelligent.

Exactly like Shanahan said, "these people are frustrated and want their voice heard, even if its the wrong way of going about it."

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Because throwing objects at people is assault and lobbing a sweater on the ice at a game during a stoppage isn't.

Throwing items onto the ice isn't a permitted act in the arenas, and I'm sure each team has their owns rules with regards to dealing with people that do it, whether it be game ejection or possibly stripping a person of their season tickets (probably for repeated offenses).

Though I suppose if someone tripped over the jersey while laying on the ice, you'd have a pretty interesting time in court if they decided to sue you.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Is that really that absurd of a concept?

And again, the answer is don't continue to buy a product you think isn't worth buying.

Seriously. If you have criticism you want to discuss, then come on down to HF boards or various other forums of public discourse and see how your views measure up to those of others. But booing is just meant to embarrass the team and insult them.

Aside from the obvious problems with this in terms of psychological effect, it's just not a way to achieve the goal that people want it to.

As for yelling at your TV, you can do whatever you want in your own home, within reason, but I would say you should be concerned with your behaviour if you're doing it in front of children because it sets a bad standard of conduct, and if you do it in front of friends, they might think you're a rude jerk, unless they're of the same mind as you, though popular opinion isn't a model for what is right and what isn't.

:nopity:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad