Movies: No Time to Die

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
He isn't dying, he's simply retiring before the casting change (and the consequent reboot) took effect.

I don't think that killing him off is out of the question. Every iteration is a reboot, anyways, that makes no references to previous iterations. I see no reason why they couldn't just kill Bond off and then reboot with a new Bond down the road as if the previous iteration never happened, since they'll do that, anyways.

Also, Craig said after Spectre that he'd rather slash his wrists than play Bond again and reportedly turned down a $100M two-film deal, insisting that he was done, but then changed his mind. It makes me wonder if he pulled a Harrison Ford and finally agreed to reprise his role only if he gets killed off. It makes sense if he wants to avoid years of questions and studio offers like he faced after Spectre. It's risky for the studio to kill him off and probably not what they want, but I imagine that they would concede if it were the only way that Craig would sign.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think people are tired of stories they are accustomed to being so heavily changed just to earn more money.

That Bond movie is an original story though, so it's not like it could possibly be changed.

Also, if something makes more money after a change, it's safe to say people weren't tired of changes.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Relativity is not a logical excuse against judgment. If a man had sexual affairs with many women in the past, is his wife being "childish" and has she "lost a bit of perspective" if she complains upon learning that he simply went out to dinner with another woman? He's done worse, so should his wife just "shut the hell up"? To make another analogy, if Jarmo Kekalainen were to make a bad trade, would you tell your fellow Jackets fans who are critical to stop complaining because he's made worse trades? If you choose to rationalize things that way, that's fine, but there's no logic to it that makes you right to judge others for not rationalizing it the same way.

Hey buddy, you leave Jarmo and the Jackets out of this! They have enough issues. :)

I’m not arguing against judgement, merely pointing out that I think these very early, very presumptive judgements here are a bit silly for both current and historic reasons.

I see the broad point you’re making, but I think reasonable people can agree that there’s a world of difference between real life personal relationships and online discussions about a fun, but ultimately meaningless series of movies.

If this movie proves to be the doomsday scenario for so many, the old movies all still exist and are still valid (even Moonraker, where, again, James Bond GOES TO SPACE AND SHOOTS LASERS). Given the history of the franchise, there will still probably be future movies to your liking as well.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I heard a rumor that Lynch was on set and in costume when the crew was shooting page 150 or so of the script. Scripts average about a page per minute, so page 150 would be at the very end of the film. Even if that rumor is false, though, I suspect that she'll live and take Bond's place (again) after he retires or is killed. That'll leave open the possibility for a spin-off if this movie and she, specifically, hit it off with audiences.

I’m not saying they’re not doing that. Who knows. BUT in the thus far 24 movie history of this franchise, they haven’t yet had any sort of in-movie hand off to another actor. New lead has tended to just be a fresh(ish) start. Not saying it isn’t the case here but I’m super skeptical.

We’ll see.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
007 is just a number.

That's like saying Matthews is only 34 and nobody else can wear 34 for the rest of time. They don't retire agent numbers either.

It's closer to when Disney went from Robin Williams as the voice of the Genie in Aladdin to Homer Simpson for the return of Jafar it didn't work, it was a guy doing an impression of Robin Williams, a decent impression but still an impression nonetheless

KahunaBaby

Oct 31, 2011
Whalley, B.C.
Not sure why we can't have both male and female secret agents and have the movies run every two years like the olympics. It would buy them time to find Craig's replacement and also fill a void. When Moore and then Dalton were replaced it took awhile longer to find replacements. Also with Craig humming and hawing on weather to do the last movie they could have released a female agent version to help buy them time.

I'm not opposed to a female Bond agent but i am a traditionalist and much prefer a male lead. I realize there is a new fanbase out there that would welcome a female lead but you still need to appease us dinosaurs.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Why does everyone hate Moonraker? It was not the worst. That was The Man with the Golden Gun.

I don't really hate Moonraker. I enjoy the whole series. Some are better than others, but every now and then I want to kick back with one of the Roger Moore cheesefests.

On Golden Gun, ooooof and Sheriff JW Pepper may be the single worst character in the series history. Certainly the worst character to appear more than once.

Now I'm a little sad remembering that a trio of great villainous Chrises — Lee, Walken, Waltz — were let down by subpar movies. What a waste.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eisen

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Why does everyone hate Moonraker? It was not the worst. That was The Man with the Golden Gun.

Low-key unpopular take - Neither of these are amongst the five worse (though Moonraker is admittedly very close)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Man this dashes my hopes for Idris Elba being the next Bond.

I don't think this changes a thing to the next plans (for reasons mentionned above... tl;dr, it's only Bond25-specific), but Idris Elba will be pushing 50 or already be 50 by the time Bond26 starts shooting.

I don't think EON wants to end up with a Moore-like scenario where they're stuck keeping an actor too old for the part due to circumstances.

Last edited:

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
I don't think this changes a thing to the next plans (for reasons mentionned above... tl;dr, it's only Bond25-specific), but Idris Elba will be pushing 50 or already 50 by the time Bond26 starts.

I don't think EON wants to end up with a Moore-like scenario where they're stuck keeping an actor too old for the part due to circumstances.

Black don’t crack baby lol. Yeah your right though.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I mean I feel like it only makes sense to call the movie Property of a Lady now.

Reactions: MXD

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I always thought Henry Cavill would make a great Bond after Daniel Craig, although I'm not really sure as to what is truly the plan moving forward for all of this.

It's actually taken for a fact that Craig beat a VERY young Henry Cavill for the job.

Not getting the gig the first time around doesn't preclude from getting it afterwards (Dalton, Brosnan - though this one didn't really "lose" the gig), but Cavill will be around 40 by the time Bond 26 starts shooting. Timothy Dalton was himself 40 though when Daylights was released, so... He's not Elba-ancient, but it's probably not ideal.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Spy Movies? Really?

The closest thing to a Spy Movie this franchise came since From Russia is probably Daylights, in which none of Moore or Connery were starring.
We'll just agree to disagree on that. Only I'll be less obnoxious about it ;)

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
It's actually taken for a fact that Craig beat a VERY young Henry Cavill for the job.

Not getting the gig the first time around doesn't preclude from getting it afterwards (Dalton, Brosnan - though this one didn't really "lose" the gig), but Cavill will be around 40 by the time Bond 26 starts shooting. Timothy Dalton was himself 40 though when Daylights was released, so... He's not Elba-ancient, but it's probably not ideal.
For making movies it's probably bad unless you want to churn out one every other year but I think 40 is the ideal age for a Bond. He's still young enough to make action believable and old enough to be experienced and suave. I'm a little sceptic about young Bonds.

Reactions: gary69

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
For making movies it's probably bad unless you want to churn out one every other year but I think 40 is the ideal age for a Bond. He's still young enough to make action believable and old enough to be experienced and suave. I'm a little sceptic about young Bonds.

It's actually a great age -- just not for long.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Henry Cavill is not a good actor and certainly not someone who would be good bond

He is as bad a superman as that guy in the crappy 00's one

Ehhhh... When I think "crappy" Bond, the first movie that comes to mind is... wait for it... Diamonds Are Forever. Starring Sean Connery.

But yeah, George Lazenby was too wooden and made Majesty much worse than it actually was, and Cavill would definitely be the second worst actor to play Bond, should he get the part.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I watched Moonraker last year for the first time in a long time (though I didn't remember anything, so it was like never having seen it). I found it surprisingly decent. It's absurd and shouldn't have been a Bond film, but it's still cheesy fun. I probably enjoyed it more than the Brosnan and Craig films. What can I say? I guess that I like a little tongue in cheek in my Bond (maybe not as much as Moonraker, but still).

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
What are the chances this is a massive financial flop like Ghostbusters or Oceans?

I get its a different franchise, but it seems like franchises that are traditionally male dominated don't do well financially.

Or do we think it will be closer to Captain Marvel/Wonder Woman?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad