Movies: No Time to Die

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
What are the chances this is a massive financial flop like Ghostbusters or Oceans?

I get its a different franchise, but it seems like franchises that are traditionally male dominated don't do well financially.

Or do we think it will be closer to Captain Marvel/Wonder Woman?
Don't see why it would. Bond is a consistent franchise that is one of the only properties that doesn't rely on any type of actor/writer/director continuity. It's something that has just become ingrained in pop culture to such a substantial degree that I can't see it flopping or going away any time soon. Bond movies are always "event" movies and wondering who the next Bond will be is something that always gets talked about. Also helps that this one has Fukunaga directing and co-writing. I seriously doubt the word of mouth is going to be anything like the two movies you mentioned, even if people are disappointed by it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Don't see why it would. Bond is a consistent franchise that is one of the only properties that doesn't rely on any type of actor/writer/director continuity. It's something that has just become ingrained in pop culture to such a substantial degree that I can't see it flopping or going away any time soon. Bond movies are always "event" movies and wondering who the next Bond will be is something that always gets talked about. Also helps that this one has Fukunaga directing and co-writing. I seriously doubt the word of mouth is going to be anything like the two movies you mentioned, even if people are disappointed by it.

It relies on the character being a white male....Mess with that, in particular making 007 a woman, and you're risking indifference or outright hostility.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
What are the chances this is a massive financial flop like Ghostbusters or Oceans?

I get its a different franchise, but it seems like franchises that are traditionally male dominated don't do well financially.

Or do we think it will be closer to Captain Marvel/Wonder Woman?

1) the character is not the lead. Craig is still James Bond. People are essentially arguing that the presence of a supporting female character may drive away audiences, one that no one knows how small or large the role is.

2) The franchise already risks apathy even without this casting. Spectre made 20% less than Skyfall internationally, and 34% less domestically. At the budgets of these films, and how much studios bid for the distribution rights, just playing to the core audience may not be profitable either.

3) While the Ghostbusters remake was a money loser (or maybe breakeven), Ocean's 8 was a modest hit that made 4 times its production budget.

Personally, I've always been fairly indifferent to the franchise. It sticks so closely to a formula that it's hard to really get excited about it. Sometimes I catch it, but if I don't hear great things, it's easy enough to skip. What worries me more than news of supporting actress casting could ever do is talented filmmakers stepping away from the project because of creative differences. That said, I am somewhat curious to what Cary Fukunaga does with it.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don't think this changes a thing to the next plans (for reasons mentionned above... tl;dr, it's only Bond25-specific), but Idris Elba will be pushing 50 or already be 50 by the time Bond26 starts shooting.

I don't think EON wants to end up with a Moore-like scenario where they're stuck keeping an actor too old for the part due to circumstances.
Indeed, I would be very surprised if Elba was ever given the role of Bond. Like the actor but too old. Just like as much as I love Keanu Reeves and I know he has wanted to play Wolverine for years, I think at this point he is too old as he is already 50 something.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It relies on the character being a white male....Mess with that, in particular making 007 a woman, and you're risking indifference or outright hostility.

I would say it depends on who gets the part and the strength of their performance coupled with that of the film/writing. I for one would welcome Idris Elba for a film or three if they were shot in quick succession. Can't think of who else I'd put in the role. I will say that I wouldn't be thrilled with a female in the role unless of course I just can't imagine who should get the role.

Reactions: Kurtz

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I would say it depends on who gets the part and the strength of their performance coupled with that of the film/writing. I for one would welcome Idris Elba for a film or three if they were shot in quick succession. Can't think of who else I'd put in the role. I will say that I wouldn't be thrilled with a female in the role unless of course I just can't imagine who should get the role.

There would be a few candidates that I could think of. Tessa Thompson's pretty hot right now. Zoe Saldana. ScarJoe...although might be too close to Black Widow. Gal Gadot.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I mean. We've been fooled before cause Spectre looked pretty good too. But even if the story sucks this looks like a Bond filled with gloriously shot set pieces and action sequences and I'm totally down for that.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
James Bond trailers don't mean much. Specter looked like it was going to be awesome but ended being a total bore.

That being said, I'm still curious despite not enjoying Specter at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->