Speculation: Bolland on trading block (with link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Unless the contingency plan is to sign Michal Handzus on the cheap for one year ($1 million or less) and hopefully squeeze another year out of him, while the Chicago Blackhawks organization decides to promote a centerman (Pirri or Leblanc) from Rockford at the trade deadline.

Would probably rather just give the prospects a shot at the beginning like you've been suggesting. Chances are they will struggle throughout parts of the season. I just hope they get a real shot like Kruger was given. Maybe Jamal Mayers can convince Handzus to take his role as the healthy scratch vet on a cheap contract.

SLarmer28*

Would probably rather just give the prospects a shot at the beginning like you've been suggesting. Chances are they will struggle throughout parts of the season. I just hope they get a real shot like Kruger was given. Maybe Jamal Mayers can convince Handzus to take his role as the healthy scratch vet on a cheap contract.
That's a better solution than trading another fourth round pick in the future for the same player.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Bobby, you still think Stalberg will be back or hope for it? He is gone. Some like it (BWC, Ike and me) and some don't (like you). If you like it or not, he will hit the market

Winning the Cup may give him second thoughts for a split second, but no, Q sealed that deal long ago. VS had NO chance to succeed here.... and he'll be missed. He added a dimension to the 3rd line that simply can't be replaced - convince yourself otherwise if you wish.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Wut? How did I get dragged back into this. I'd take Stalberg back, he knows the system and is comfortable with the players. Just no more than 1m and for the love of god don't put him in the top six.

That's contingent on why exactly he was benched the first time, though, I don't think we ever got the true story there.

He can certainly command more on the open market, however, so I believe any Stalberg discussion at this point would be academic. He's just not someone Q trusts or apparently wants, and I don't think Stan would try to force him.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Yeah, I don't think Handzus will be back. He was a solid pickup and he played far better than anyone could have anticipated, but it's time to give other guys a chance and if Q always has Handzus in his back pocket, (like Disgruntled said) Pirri/LeBlanc won't get enough time to show what they can do in the 2nd line centre spot - should they struggle at first, or in general. There's going to be growing pains with any young player in that spot, regardless of who win it out of camp.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Winning the Cup may give him second thoughts for a split second, but no, Q sealed that deal long ago. VS had NO chance to succeed here.... and he'll be missed. He added a dimension to the 3rd line that simply can't be replaced - convince yourself otherwise if you wish.

25 blows. Everyone gets excited when he comes down the wing. The guy will make the biggest non-hockey plays on our team. He isn't safe with the puck at all. That lines scoring stopped when Bicks was removed from it, nothing else.

Whatever teams gets 25 for the money they pay him, they are hosed. He doesn't get it in, doesn't get it out. Sure he will blow around someone but his battle is low, his hands are stone and he is not top end at all at seeing plays. He is a race-horse with blinkers on. He can see straight and straight he goes.

You don't want him back either. Convince yourself otherwise if you wish. He gone!

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

Stalberg was crap. He won't be missed. You say he brings an added dimension to the third line, but he's the anti-third line player. It wasn't a coincidence that the third line never got any hard matchups. Stalberg's below-average defensively, and when he's not scoring, he's not really doing anything for his team. Everyone wants to talk about all the chances his speed creates, but A) The chances are overstated and B) He couldn't cash 95% of the time anyway.

No one's saying his speed is replaceable, but everything else about his spot can be improved on. Specifically, if Morin replaces him, the Hawks get a better goal-scorer, with much better hockey sense, who'll actually go to the net and get his nose dirty, and play physical at times.

Yeah, the Hawks downgrade in speed, but improve in other facets of the game. The improvements vastly outweigh the lost speed. Chicago will still be one of the fastest teams in the league. Convince yourself otherwise if you wish.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance
Spoke w/Wade Arnott, agent for Viktor Stalberg: "It seems highly likely that Vik will be entering the free agent marketplace."

In case there was any more doubt.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Stalberg was crap. He won't be missed. You say he brings an added dimension to the third line, but he's the anti-third line player. It wasn't a coincidence that the third line never got any hard matchups. Stalberg's below-average defensively, and when he's not scoring, he's not really doing anything for his team. Everyone wants to talk about all the chances his speed creates, but A) The chances are overstated and B) He couldn't cash 95% of the time anyway.

No one's saying his speed is replaceable, but everything else about his spot can be improved on. Specifically, if Morin replaces him, the Hawks get a better goal-scorer, with much better hockey sense, who'll actually go to the net and get his nose dirty, and play physical at times.

Yeah, the Hawks downgrade in speed, but improve in other facets of the game. The improvements vastly outweigh the lost speed. Chicago will still be one of the fastest teams in the league. Convince yourself otherwise if you wish.

^
Well Said :handclap:

Hawks were lucky to be so deep this year. If team didn't have so much talent in bottom 6 the fact Stalberg was a complete no show could have hurt real bad

CS85

Tell 'em, Mean Gene!
Jun 27, 2011
Champaign, IL
www.bearsfansonline.com
Morin > Stalberg any day. Stalberg's flashes were too few and his bum-slaying too often to devote an extension to. Morin's got his share of problems but he's paid his dues and has more dimensions to his game.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
Stalberg hate is utterly ridiculous. You can't replace that speed and he was a huge reason that line was as good as it was all year long. He is extremely strong on the forecheck and his backchecking has certainly improved under Q.

Yes he still makes the odd mistake, boneheaded turnover, whatever. But he was a very valuable depth player on the Hawks the past two seasons and he will be missed by this team.

Stalberg is probably a better player than Bickell.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
How is Stalberg better than Bickell? I'm not even one to take his post-season into heavy account, but seriously, how?

What's truly ridiculous is how much emphasis people put on his speed. It's a broken record. Everyone knows he's fast. You need more than speed to be a successful NHL. Stalberg hasn't been able to put it together, and he's 27. He'll go somewhere else, score some goals, but he'll never be an impact player or a guy that's consistently in any teams top-6. He's a fringe top-6 forward, that's not good defensively, and is inconsistent offensively.

Stalberg's going to get a good paycheck. Good for him. The Hawks success will springboard him into a solid contract. Good luck wherever you go Vik.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Stalberg hate is utterly ridiculous. You can't replace that speed and he was a huge reason that line was as good as it was all year long.

Then how can you explain why that line was better in the playoffs when Stalberg was sitting on the bench?

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
I think people are buying too much into the Bolland for cap space narrative. If the Hawks goal was simply to open up cap space I would have expected to hear about them shopping Frolik or Brookbank as well.

I think it is much more likely that Stan is just looking to maximize the value of an asset with the added cap space being a consideration, just not the only one. The return for Bolland should be a whole heck of a lot more than what the Hawks could get for Frolik or Brookbank.

If the Hawks can trade Bolland for a 1st+ or Frolik for a 4th it makes sense to move Bolland (or both) if he isn't in the long term plan anymore (with him being a UFA and all).

SLarmer28*

Stalberg hate is utterly ridiculous. You can't replace that speed and he was a huge reason that line was as good as it was all year long. He is extremely strong on the forecheck and his backchecking has certainly improved under Q.

Yes he still makes the odd mistake, boneheaded turnover, whatever. But he was a very valuable depth player on the Hawks the past two seasons and he will be missed by this team.

Stalberg is probably a better player than Bickell.
Simply ridiculous!

Viktor Stalberg - 32 career playoff games, 1 career playoff goal

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/stalbvi01.html

Bryan Bickell - 38 career playoff games, 13 career playoff goals

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/b/bickebr01.html

Once the playoffs arrive, Viktor Stalberg simply disappears.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
This recent Stalberg hate confuses me. Most of us loved what he brought during the regular season, even BWC couldn't hate him. Q didn't trust him in the playoffs but can anyone honestly say the team wasn't better when he played over Carcillo/Bollig?

Watch him generate A TON of interest as a FA and sign a fat deal with someone.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
This recent Stalberg hate confuses me. Most of us loved what he brought during the regular season, even BWC couldn't hate him. Q didn't trust him in the playoffs but can anyone honestly say the team wasn't better when he played over Carcillo/Bollig?

Watch him generate A TON of interest as a FA and sign a fat deal with someone.

I don't hate Stalberg. But I won't lose sleep over him leaving, like I probably will over Bickell. Regular season performers don't do us much good over here. It's about winning cups. Guys like Stalberg and Brouwer serve really nice roles - but they're roles that are better served elsewhere.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
stalberg/brouwer comparisons now? christ I've heard everything. brouwer was a q favorite who got extremely favorable minutes and was given every chance to succeed. stalberg has been on q's **** list since day one and has been jerked around so much i wouldn't blame him for taking LESS money to leave.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
stalberg/brouwer comparisons now? christ I've heard everything. brouwer was a q favorite who got extremely favorable minutes and was given every chance to succeed. stalberg has been on q's **** list since day one and has been jerked around so much i wouldn't blame him for taking LESS money to leave.

They both bounced around, in and out of Q's doghouse. But to be clear for the reading impaired - I was only comparing them in the sense that both of them come up short in the playoffs time and time again. They are completely different players.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
I don't hate Stalberg. But I won't lose sleep over him leaving, like I probably will over Bickell. Regular season performers don't do us much good over here. It's about winning cups. Guys like Stalberg and Brouwer serve really nice roles - but they're roles that are better served elsewhere.

I won't lose much sleep over losing him either, he's priced himself out of the Hawks payroll and we all know he's gone. For a guy making 875k he had a great regular season and was better than any alternative in the playoffs.

Hating or diminishing his contributions is borderline revisionist history and at least a case of "what have you done for me lately". What, because he only had 1 goal in the playoffs? Cut the guy some slack, I for one will miss him.

This is a Bolland thread, right? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad