Speculation: Bolland on trading block (with link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Stalberg was crap. He won't be missed. You say he brings an added dimension to the third line, but he's the anti-third line player. It wasn't a coincidence that the third line never got any hard matchups. Stalberg's below-average defensively, and when he's not scoring, he's not really doing anything for his team. Everyone wants to talk about all the chances his speed creates, but A) The chances are overstated and B) He couldn't cash 95% of the time anyway.

No one's saying his speed is replaceable, but everything else about his spot can be improved on. Specifically, if Morin replaces him, the Hawks get a better goal-scorer, with much better hockey sense, who'll actually go to the net and get his nose dirty, and play physical at times.

Yeah, the Hawks downgrade in speed, but improve in other facets of the game. The improvements vastly outweigh the lost speed. Chicago will still be one of the fastest teams in the league. Convince yourself otherwise if you wish.

At least you finally admit that much.... and VS is not the straight up and down winger he was when he came here (as in the dumb reference: "race horse with blinkers"). I look forward to seeing Morin soon, but he is an entirely different player, so they can't be compared in any way, shape or form. The 3rd line will be have a much different look now. Hopefully it will be as effective as it appears that Stalberg and BB will not be on it.

Ike has a point about VS not being a top 6 here. It's no easy task breaking into that role, but you can guarantee he will be elsewhere, where he hopefully will be allowed to play to his strengths and gain some confidence - and not stifled with 8 or 9 minutes of ice in a defensive role; not treated like a spare piece of the puzzle like Q did to him so often. In a way it's amazing he did as well as he did.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
How is Stalberg better than Bickell? I'm not even one to take his post-season into heavy account, but seriously, how?

What's truly ridiculous is how much emphasis people put on his speed. It's a broken record. Everyone knows he's fast. You need more than speed to be a successful NHL. Stalberg hasn't been able to put it together, and he's 27. He'll go somewhere else, score some goals, but he'll never be an impact player or a guy that's consistently in any teams top-6. He's a fringe top-6 forward, that's not good defensively, and is inconsistent offensively.

Stalberg's going to get a good paycheck. Good for him. The Hawks success will springboard him into a solid contract. Good luck wherever you go Vik.

They had identical numbers in the regular season this year. Of course Bickell was very good in the playoffs but Stalberg wasn't really given a chance there. Bickell has a nose for the front of the net, for sure. But he benefited greatly from playing with guys like Toews and Kane.

And in 11-12 Bickell was dreadful while Stalberg was very good. I would rather have Stalberg's game-changing speed on the forechecking on the rush. He's not a great finisher, no. Bickell could be the next Ville Leino, cashing on a strong playoff performance that doesn't represent his true ability.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Back on topic. Even if true, it was unfortunate that Bolland was mentioned as trade bait a mere 48 hours after scoring the winning goal for the Stanley Cup. Hawks have more class than that, it's too bad the media that covers the team don't seem to have the same. Anything for a story.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
They had identical numbers in the regular season this year. Of course Bickell was very good in the playoffs but Stalberg wasn't really given a chance there. Bickell has a nose for the front of the net, for sure. But he benefited greatly from playing with guys like Toews and Kane.

And in 11-12 Bickell was dreadful while Stalberg was very good. I would rather have Stalberg's game-changing speed on the forechecking on the rush. He's not a great finisher, no. Bickell could be the next Ville Leino, cashing on a strong playoff performance that doesn't represent his true ability.

Yep, we have a fickle bunch here. It would be interesting to go back and count how many folks here wanted Bickell out of a Hawk uniform and there were many.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
Yep, we have a fickle bunch here. It would be interesting to go back and count how many folks here wanted Bickell out of a Hawk uniform and there were many.

Exactly. Nobody can take away from Bickell what he did in these playoffs. But I'm still pretty leary about him. He was utterly dreadful all of last season, and he was given significantly more playing time (on top lines) than Stalberg, so how can you even compare the two situations?

They are very good depth guys and I would hope we can keep one of them. But to think Bickell is a significantly better player based on the past 23 games is ridiculous.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Back on topic. Even if true, it was unfortunate that Bolland was mentioned as trade bait a mere 48 hours after scoring the winning goal for the Stanley Cup. Hawks have more class than that, it's too bad the media that covers the team don't seem to have the same. Anything for a story.

With the draft coming up mere days after the end of the Stanley Cup playoffs, and FA right around the corner, there simply wasn't any time.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
A little shocked Bolland is still on the Hawks right now. Still a long way to go in this draft, but maybe keeping Bolland is an option they're considering.

Is everyone convinced Shaw is a center? I think he's done great there but I've always thought in the ideal scenario he'd be at wing. Could definitely see a scenario with 1) Toews 2) Pirri/Leblanc 3) Bolland (Shaw on wing) 4) Kruger.

Would rather keep Bickell than Bolland, but we really have no clue what Bicks is demanding...

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
all we know is that we are close to bring back Bickell but there weren't rumors about the money he is asking for

LandofLincoln*

A little shocked Bolland is still on the Hawks right now. Still a long way to go in this draft, but maybe keeping Bolland is an option they're considering.

Is everyone convinced Shaw is a center? I think he's done great there but I've always thought in the ideal scenario he'd be at wing. Could definitely see a scenario with 1) Toews 2) Pirri/Leblanc 3) Bolland (Shaw on wing) 4) Kruger.

Would rather keep Bickell than Bolland, but we really have no clue what Bicks is demanding...

I'm very surprised at this point... I have to admit I'm ok with it. Makes me wonder if he will be moved at the trade deadline during the season? I'm cool with resigning Bolland for another 2-3 years if he takes Frolik's type of contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad