• Seems fair for both teams.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Neither player is available.

Votes: 23 16.0%

• Total voters

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I am curious to see what Buffalo does this TDL and off-season. Are they going to change up the chemistry of their core?

I wonder if there is a world where they figure they can trade a signed-Cozens for more than a rental Mittlestadt—which then allows them to re-sign Mittlestatdt and recoup assets?
I am curious to see what Buffalo does this TDL and off-season. Are they going to change up the chemistry of their core?

I wonder if there is a world where they figure they can trade a signed-Cozens for more than a rental Mittlestadt—which then allows them to re-sign Mittlestatdt and recoup assets?

buffalo can resign Mittlestadt this summer to 5+ yrs and still wait to trade him or Cozens beforeJuly 1 2025 when trade controll would kick in.

iI think buffalo waits to 2025 or 2026 to make any moves with younger players drafted since 2020 ( Quinn, Peterka, power, rosen, Savoie, Ostlund, Kulich, Benson)

in 2025 and 2026 buffalo could be getting close to the cap. Trades made might mean a net loss in salary.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

They will do next to nothing this TDL because the best trade candidates (pending UFAs like Girgensons, Okposo, Olofsson, Robinson, Comrie) aren't worth much. Girgensons is most likely to be traded but it's probably up to him, as a favor to a good soldier.

As for current/future roster players I still don't see KA moving any. Krebs is maybe the best candidate depending if another GM sees more in him and is willing to pay, and Jokiharju could get moved if the team just doesn't think he's worth another raise. The problem is that for now there aren't any players ready to fill those roster holes, so I think KA just re-signs these guys too.

All I see happening is letting UFAs walk, maybe re-signing Girgensons for a year if he wants back, re-signing RFAs (Mitts, Krebs, Jokiharju, and UPL), and trading/signing a couple mediocre bottom-six vet FWs. An RHD like Roy or Pesce would be great, but nice things like that don't happen for the Sabres so expect almost the same roster to return. A new coaching staff would make the biggest impact but Granato starts an extension next season and Pegula is tired of paying people that aren't with the organization anymore. Same stuff, different year.

Last edited:

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Wasn't Vancouver trying to trade him away last year?

Anyways hell no from Buffalo.
He requested a trade but later walked back on it.

From a nucks pov it's also a hell no for me, not sure why it would be a hell no from sabres fans considering Brock is a better player who's finally healthy physically and more importantly mentally.

I think there is ( or was, less so now) that Brock has not been good since his rookie season but the truth is the only season he really struggled was last season but even then he still produced like a top 6 winger.

The #1 issue with him has always been getting hurt in camp and playing catch-up and not playing a 200 foot game.

Under Tochett all that has changed and last summer he not only worked his ass off but he was finally back to loving hockey again.
I get Cozens is younger and was drafted 8th overall but as someone who followed him since JR, he like many of the sabres looks like he's stagnaed. Maybe it's the system the sabres play or team chemistry but something needs to change there and the one thing that's been constant is the fact that the team refuses to add older pieces, using the abundance of youth being terrible for over a decade has gotten you guys.

I'm not even saying this deal is one that would be that type of trade, I'm only saying that it seems like you guys are in a perpetual re-build and you won't not be in one until a different approach is taken.

Like keep Dahlin, Tage, Casey, Power, a couple of wingers and trade the rest and picks for players who are 25+ that haven't spent their entire careers losing.

Since I'm a nucks fan I'll just use examples from them but the reason we finally turned a corner is because of the guys like JT, Hronek, Blueger Soucy, Cole etc.
If our GM had listened to the many who hated trading those trades and signings and wanted to blow it up, I think we would have spent another 5+ years sucking, lost Quinn and EP, Brock etc instead of finally enjoying hockey again.

Imagine if your GM had built around Sam, Jack, Casey, Ullmark, Dahlin, Tage, where you guys would be right now.
Buffalo is far too awesome of a hockey town to be put through the shit you guys are forced to go through.
You literally had the 3 most coveted building blocks and then some and they were pissed away.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Nice, a lose lose trade. It's like Jim Benning trading with himself or something. Buffalo might say no louder but it's awful timing for both teams.

This is the answer.

Canucks fans are obsessed with trading Boeser; it's like they forgot how awful it is to be a team that can't score. This obsession is on Kuzmenko now too, when there's no way to currently get his value from a trade. Annoying.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

From a nucks pov it's also a hell no for me, not sure why it would be a hell no from sabres fans considering Brock is a better player who's finally healthy physically and more importantly mentally.
I like Boeser, wish TM would have drafted him in 2015 instead of throwing picks away in failed trades. But now Buffalo has too many wingers between the roster and prospects. Sure, Boeser is older and a vet now, but Buffalo needs older vets that are either a two-way C, bottom-six heavy, or defensive D-men. So Boeser is not at all what they need. I'm not getting into a pissing match over Cozens vs Boeser, but for now Cozens fills a center spot they need.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I think there is ( or was, less so now) that Brock has not been good since his rookie season but the truth is the only season he really struggled was last season but even then he still produced like a top 6 winger.

The #1 issue with him has always been getting hurt in camp and playing catch-up and not playing a 200 foot game.

Under Tochett all that has changed and last summer he not only worked his ass off but he was finally back to loving hockey again.
I get Cozens is younger and was drafted 8th overall but as someone who followed him since JR, he like many of the sabres looks like he's stagnaed. Maybe it's the system the sabres play or team chemistry but something needs to change there and the one thing that's been constant is the fact that the team refuses to add older pieces, using the abundance of youth being terrible for over a decade has gotten you guys.

I'm not even saying this deal is one that would be that type of trade, I'm only saying that it seems like you guys are in a perpetual re-build and you won't not be in one until a different approach is taken.

Like keep Dahlin, Tage, Casey, Power, a couple of wingers and trade the rest and picks for players who are 25+ that haven't spent their entire careers losing.

Since I'm a nucks fan I'll just use examples from them but the reason we finally turned a corner is because of the guys like JT, Hronek, Blueger Soucy, Cole etc.
If our GM had listened to the many who hated trading those trades and signings and wanted to blow it up, I think we would have spent another 5+ years sucking, lost Quinn and EP, Brock etc instead of finally enjoying hockey again.

Imagine if your GM had built around Sam, Jack, Casey, Ullmark, Dahlin, Tage, where you guys would be right now.
Buffalo is far too awesome of a hockey town to be put through the shit you guys are forced to go through.
You literally had the 3 most coveted building blocks and then some and they were pissed away.
Cozens has been playing hurt.
Quinn got hurt again yesterday. With him back on his line Cozens has been above ppg At 9 pts in 7 g
im not worried about him.

if Buffalo is trading him…it’s for a core player…not a 1 yr rental. Buffalo want a young RD+ winger with size/ grit

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
I like Brock, I was one of a few people last year that wanted to keep Brock when most people wanted to move him for a bag of chips. But Brock isn't worth Cozens.. DC is having an off year as are most of the Sabres, it makes zero sense for them to move DC for BB at any point.. It makes zero sense for the Nucks to move BB this year as he is clicking as is most of the team and are ready to make a run in the playoffs.
Now if this trade, for some stupid miracle, is available in the off season, as a Canuck GM I'd make that trade everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. As I mentioned I like Brock and didn't want to move him last year but that would be highway robbery, even with a late '23 1st included.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Here's the thing:

Could Buffalo use a vet winger like Boeser? Not really. I mean, we've got talented wingers coming out of our ears....and mouth....annnnnnd pretty much any other orifice you want.

However, Buffalo has the following at center: Tage, Cozens, Mittelstadt, Krebs........Kozak. And there's a LARGE debate on the Sabres board if Tage and Cozens are actuall centers down the line.

What Buffalo needs (aside from a legit partner for Power) is a veteran 2-way CENTER.

So no, Boeser wouldn't be of interest to Buffalo......and certainly not at the expense of one of the few guys in the organization who can play center.

Reactions: Chainshot and Irie

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
It's one of those proposals where adding on either side won't help, at least from a Sabres point of view.
Rather substract on both sides and start the whole proposal anew.
Whats more, Vancouver doesn't seem to be a good trading partner for Buffalo. They don't really have what the Sabres need.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Why would Vancouver trade Boeser when he’s a big part of getting them to the playoffs
Your post SHOULD have ended the thread . If your question needed an answer that answer would be BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Surprised bottom choice isn't 100% this makes no sense. A competing team trading the currently better player, and a bad team trading one of their future core for a short term player.

Reactions: Sabresruletheschool

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Much like Dahlin, I can see Buffalo fans are overrating Cozens

(Not that Boeser has amazing value either)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Buffalo doesn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, and Vancouver doesn't subtract Boeser from their lineup

Makes very little sense from every single angle

Reactions: Ciao

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Much like Dahlin, I can see Buffalo fans are overrating Cozens

(Not that Boeser has amazing value either)
Who’s overrating Dahlin? He’s a fantastic #1 but no one is saying he’s anything more (other than having a higher upside than a lot of comparable defenseman) he was top 5 best PPG for a d man last year in his early 20s so it’s not like any hype was based on nothing. Your Dahlin takes are mundane and seem more like breaking him down and the fans than actual honest discussion. Which is weird because there’s no rivalry with Vancouver and Buffalo

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Nah, we understand what Cozens is. We just also understand what Boeser is.
Neither great, but one has a shorter contract ;). It’s also a terrible trade based on both teams current needs

Who’s overrating Dahlin? He’s a fantastic #1 but no one is saying he’s anything more (other than having a higher upside than a lot of comparable defenseman) he was top 5 best PPG for a d man last year in his early 20s so it’s not like any hype was based on nothing. Your Dahlin takes are mundane and seem more like breaking him down than actual honest discussion
He was overrated for years, we are finally getting away from that nonsensical “generational” tag. But anyways, this isn’t about him so no point in continuing that discussion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad