Confirmed with Link: Boedker traded to Colorado for Bleackley, Wood, Tanguay

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
We're probably going to have to give Tanguay a similar deal Whitney got. The two year deal. Unless we want to pay extra on a one year. I know he probably won't be too of a hot commodity come July 1st, but I just have a feeling that's what it would take. If we feel has another year left in him.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
We're probably going to have to give Tanguay a similar deal Whitney got. The two year deal. Unless we want to pay extra on a one year. I know he probably won't be too of a hot commodity come July 1st, but I just have a feeling that's what it would take. If we feel has another year left in him.

You know for a fact that Doan is going to push hard for Tanguay to be resigned.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I know if I was a professional athlete, I'd rather retire at close to the top of my game (in my waning years) than wait until my body gives out or I take a huge dip in production.

We probably won't be making it to the playoffs next year and the season following that will largely depend on our RFA/youth success (or failures), so the team will most likely not make it to the playoffs while Doan is healthy enough to play consistently.

Of course, he may still be having fun and feeling healthy, so he could stick around. I doubt he'd sign elsewhere. He's had a long career and deserves some time off while he is still largely healthy.

In brief, I could easily see him retiring after this season despite the fact that he might have a few more decent seasons in him

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I know if I was a professional athlete, I'd rather retire at close to the top of my game (in my waning years) than wait until my body gives out or I take a huge dip in production.
Tough to say, given you're not a professional athlete (I'm guessing :))

Athletes have a variety of reasons for holding on, financial being a primary driven given most won't see income anywhere near what they've earned as a pro. Plus many athletes face the reality of long-term ailments that are both expensive and impact their future employment.

I fully expect Doaner to sign-up for one more year.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think Doan will wait to see what the team does in the summer. If they have a chance to get Yandle back, I'm sure he'd take a small deal to facilitate that. They had the camera on him a lot for the Edmonton game and he looked like someone contemplating retirement.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
They had the camera on him a lot for the Edmonton game and he looked like someone contemplating retirement.

Well, even if he continues, that was his last game in that building, and he's played a lot of games there. I'm sure that meant something to an Albertan.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Tough to say, given you're not a professional athlete (I'm guessing :))

Actually, this is a pseudonym, I'm actually Kyle Chipchura :laugh:

Still, I doubt Doan is facing any financial woes and he'll most likely become involved in the team in another way (he could replace Tippett when Tip's contract expires :) ).

Of course he could just up and move back north as well.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
0% chance Doan retires in 2016.

If Tanguay gets an offer >2mil = 0% chance he retires.

We aren't talking Hall of Fame Legends with enduring legacies. These guys are working.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
I think Doan will wait to see what the team does in the summer. If they have a chance to get Yandle back, I'm sure he'd take a small deal to facilitate that. They had the camera on him a lot for the Edmonton game and he looked like someone contemplating retirement.

No. Shane Doan will happily be the 4RW at age 42 who wins a cup playing 8mins/gm behind Strome and Domi's Conn Smythe performances. He doesn't care. He wants to win. And for this franchise. That's it.

You guys are just bored. He's at .70ppg. Zero non-HOFers retire with that kind of production. Let alone someone so invested. It's ridiculous to even speculate. He's coming back. End. Of. Discussion.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
No. Shane Doan will happily be the 4RW at age 42 who wins a cup playing 8mins/gm behind Strome and Domi's Conn Smythe performances. He doesn't care. He wants to win. And for this franchise. That's it.

You guys are just bored. He's at .70ppg. Zero non-HOFers retire with that kind of production. Let alone someone so invested. It's ridiculous to even speculate. He's coming back. End. Of. Discussion.
I think you pretty much summed it up. Barring injury Doan's got probably 3-4 years left in the tank and he's going to use every single one of them in an attempt to finally realize his dream of a Stanley Cup in AZ. Man if that could happen it'd be an amazing, amazing sports story!

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004

We aren't talking Hall of Fame Legends with enduring legacies. These guys are working.

I agree. I think these guys are just enjoying the game, and will carry on playing for as long as their bodies (or a lack of contract offer) tell them to stop.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don't know where you get that from. From what I have heard, seen and read, Doan is having a fun season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I thought at the first of the year Doan didn't look good and this would be his last year, but for most of the year he has been playing very well. I expect him back.

I think you pretty much summed it up. Barring injury Doan's got probably 3-4 years left in the tank and he's going to use every single one of them in an attempt to finally realize his dream of a Stanley Cup in AZ. Man if that could happen it'd be an amazing, amazing sports story!

That would be a dream come true for any hockey fan, especially us here in Arizona.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I would imagine the influx of youth and the promise of a lot of young talented emerging the next few seasons has been a fountain of youth for Doan. I expect he will sign another contract this summer for 2 or 3 years. GMDM will reward him for his leadership and dedication.

Assuming a few of the lesser UFA's will not be back I think keeping Tanguay for another year makes sense for the Coyotes (expect he will want a multi year deal though). Good, talented veteran. He is having a down season by his standards but he is only 36 and had a 55 point season a year ago.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I would imagine the influx of youth and the promise of a lot of young talented emerging the next few seasons has been a fountain of youth for Doan. I expect he will sign another contract this summer for 2 or 3 years. GMDM will reward him for his leadership and dedication.

Assuming a few of the lesser UFA's will not be back I think keeping Tanguay for another year makes sense for the Coyotes (expect he will want a multi year deal though). Good, talented veteran. He is having a down season by his standards but he is only 36 and had a 55 point season a year ago.

I don't know about needing to give tanguay multiple years. For one thing it that's a deal breaker for him, then he can walk. For another with the cap being as low as it is has caught a lot of teams by surprise, I'm not sure there's going to many teams willing to give big deals, which will effect the lower tier guys too. Tanguay may not have many options.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Tanguay has clearly slowed down as a player and so has Doan. The difference this year, is that Doan has been in the right place at the right time and has scored more goals because of it. Part of this is experience of knowing where to be on the ice, part of it is good fortune. What I worry about with both of them is, as they slow down, there play when they don't have the puck suffers. The game is getting faster and faster. The big slow stay at home D is too slow to compete now as an example. If either one slows down a little more, they become a major liability on D and they will have their minutes cut to 5-8 a game. I would be leery of more then a 1 year deal for either. Maybe Doan gets 2 years, knowing you are throwing him a bone for year 2 because of his long Coyote career.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
Boedker with 2 goals tonight including one very very sweet move after driving the net. should have scored (another) hattrick too lol, barely missed getting an empty net goal. i was just thinking after the highlights, why didnt he do that for us more?? he actually drove the net instead of just holding on to it and circling behind to look for a pass.... quick shot after a nice move that he sniped. Come on Mikkel where was that 2 months ago??? remember.... the dude has potential.......

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Boedker with 2 goals tonight including one very very sweet move after driving the net. should have scored (another) hattrick too lol, barely missed getting an empty net goal. i was just thinking after the highlights, why didnt he do that for us more?? he actually drove the net instead of just holding on to it and circling behind to look for a pass.... quick shot after a nice move that he sniped. Come on Mikkel where was that 2 months ago??? remember.... the dude has potential.......

Barely missing an empty net has been one of Boedker's trademarks.

rt

May 13, 2004
Tanguay has 6pts in 5gp. 3G 3A.

More importantly, Vermette had 1pt in the 7gms preceding Tanguay and now has 9pts in 5gp with Tanguay on his line. And it's Tanguay carrying Vermette, not the other way around.

Who knew that we could trade Boedker for the old Tanguay and the old Vermette?

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Sure...when Scottsdale freezes over!:frosty:

d04bPMW.jpg

Only 3 years ago.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

That's Boedker. Inconsistent. He has been doing that for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad