BodyArmor to replace BioSteel as NHL official sports drink

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Idk how popular BioSteel is in Canada but I can't say I've ever seen anyone drinking it there or talking about it and I've been multiple times, and it really had no presence down here. Only reason I ever heard of it is their NHL deal and the only time I ever had it was when they gave it away outside the Honda Center after Ducks games. Can't say I was a fan really.

I also don't get why it was in boxes.

Pretty much the opposite in Canada, like exactly what you said below but switch the two brands lol.
Bodyarmor is walmart tier, everyone I know/play hockey/ baseball/gym with are drinking BioSteel (if not beer/water).
It's too sweet but watered down it tastes good and actually feels hydrating.

I drink BodyArmor on occasion and know many other people who drink it and frequently see people drinking it at the gym or getting it at the gas station. None of which I can say for BioSteel.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Maybe it's just me but Body Armor isn't exactly a drink I'd have while I'm exhausted, sweating my buns off and in need of hydration.
I mean, it's like 99% water, with electrolytes and some b vitamins. And there's the lyte version without the sugar. It's probably better than water alone for hydration. Yes I work for Coca Cola.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It’s pretty much the only thing I’ve ever seen anyone remotely athletic drinking for the last few years

Pretty much the opposite in Canada, like exactly what you said below but switch the two brands lol.
Bodyarmor is walmart tier, everyone I know/play hockey/ baseball/gym with are drinking BioSteel (if not beer/water).
It's too sweet but watered down it tastes good and actually feels hydrating.
Interesting, surprising they’re going broke if they’re successful up there

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Interesting, surprising they’re going broke if they’re successful up there
I don’t know if I would call it successful in Canada, the only time I ever really see it is when attending junior hockey games/tournaments. It’s engrained in the younger “hockey bro” lifestyle but most peers over the age of 30 can’t stand the taste of it and just stick with the tried and true BCAAs

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
This is one of those weird times where I can't tell who is living in the bubble because BodyArmor is like.... visibly all over the place and pretty readily available in the PNW. Whatever was "niche" about it broke through around here a while ago, and now it's really no more head turning than someone drinking a Powerade instead of Gatorade. Shit's everywhere, and frankly of those named three I like it best by a lot.

Flavors taste like they're actually at least pretending to have natural components, still does the job, and doesn't make my body feel like I've just pounded cheap ramen broth for my electrolytes. Like... I'm not going on a "woohoo" flag waving tour for an entity owned by Coca-Cola but to my eyes BodyArmor is a get for the NHL more than the other way around. If an advertiser's going to have its name plastered everywhere you might as well get one with more clout, makes the association look better as it speaks to the health of the league, and at least where I've been that's... not BioSteel.

Even with the advertising in a product I watch it took me until today to learn BioSteel wasn't a protein drink like Muscle Milk or whatever. Learning that it's just another (Canadian?) sports water is making this whole thing a head scratcher.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Crow

May 19, 2014
Thank god now I know what to drink after reading this.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Oh hey, another sports drink I've never heard of.

But if Coke is the parent, at least they won't go out of business next year.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This is one of those weird times where I can't tell who is living in the bubble because BodyArmor is like.... visibly all over the place and pretty readily available in the PNW. Whatever was "niche" about it broke through around here a while ago, and now it's really no more head turning than someone drinking a Powerade instead of Gatorade. Shit's everywhere, and frankly of those named three I like it best by a lot.

Flavors taste like they're actually at least pretending to have natural components, still does the job, and doesn't make my body feel like I've just pounded cheap ramen broth for my electrolytes. Like... I'm not going on a "woohoo" flag waving tour for an entity owned by Coca-Cola but to my eyes BodyArmor is a get for the NHL more than the other way around. If an advertiser's going to have its name plastered everywhere you might as well get one with more clout, makes the association look better as it speaks to the health of the league, and at least where I've been that's... not BioSteel.

Even with the advertising in a product I watch it took me until today to learn BioSteel wasn't a protein drink like Muscle Milk or whatever. Learning that it's just another (Canadian?) sports water is making this whole thing a head scratcher.

It's funny. We sell bodyarmour at my work for the past couple months and I thought it was a juice this whole time and not a sports drink. Or like a premade smoothie. Something thick and not very hydrating.

Must be the packaging that looks very smoothie-like.

Reactions: cptjeff

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
The reasons Canadian posters are scratching their heads is that Body Armor has only been available in the Canadian market as of 2 months ago. Hence why many people don't know what it is. Biosteel is a Canadian product that had high brand recognition in Canada even before the NHL deal. It tried to break into the US market and flamed out spectacularly. Should be a case study in business schools for how not to run a business.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm starting up a new sports drink called MetalForSomeReason.

I hope to be an official sport drink within a decade.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The reasons Canadian posters are scratching their heads is that Body Armor has only been available in the Canadian market as of 2 months ago. Hence why many people don't know what it is. Biosteel is a Canadian product that had high brand recognition in Canada even before the NHL deal. It tried to break into the US market and flamed out spectacularly. Should be a case study in business schools for how not to run a business.
Thanks for this info. I had never heard of Body Armor prior either, so I was wondering if I was totally out of the loop or something.

BioSteel was awful anyways. Unsure if the athletes were fond of it when it leaves that grimy aspartame taste in your mouth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad