BodyArmor to replace BioSteel as NHL official sports drink

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I hated BioSteel the first time I tried it. Then I quickly acquired a taste for it.

Would still be drinking it if it hadn’t been removed from the shelves in my local grocery store.

The beverage business is ridiculously difficult to get into because distribution is essentially owned by a few major corporations. If you do end up making it, it’s generally because you get bought outright by one of the major companies. BioSteel just spent way too much money on way too little revenue way too quickly. They didn’t have much of a chance.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
It's funny. We sell bodyarmour at my work for the past couple months and I thought it was a juice this whole time and not a sports drink. Or like a premade smoothie. Something thick and not very hydrating.

Must be the packaging that looks very smoothie-like.
i thought exactly the same to be honest, sports drinks are almost always clear bottles i'm assuming to emphasize the "water-like" aspect. i've bypassed body armor a million times assuming that it's some kind of juice drink

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
This is one of those weird times where I can't tell who is living in the bubble because BodyArmor is like.... visibly all over the place and pretty readily available in the PNW. Whatever was "niche" about it broke through around here a while ago, and now it's really no more head turning than someone drinking a Powerade instead of Gatorade. Shit's everywhere, and frankly of those named three I like it best by a lot.

Flavors taste like they're actually at least pretending to have natural components, still does the job, and doesn't make my body feel like I've just pounded cheap ramen broth for my electrolytes. Like... I'm not going on a "woohoo" flag waving tour for an entity owned by Coca-Cola but to my eyes BodyArmor is a get for the NHL more than the other way around. If an advertiser's going to have its name plastered everywhere you might as well get one with more clout, makes the association look better as it speaks to the health of the league, and at least where I've been that's... not BioSteel.

Even with the advertising in a product I watch it took me until today to learn BioSteel wasn't a protein drink like Muscle Milk or whatever. Learning that it's just another (Canadian?) sports water is making this whole thing a head scratcher.
I mean you are in some type of bubble if you can't understand that maybe BodyArmor isn't as popular in other places as it is where you live.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Body Armor is gross if you don't like coconut water, which I can't stand.

But I also don't choose my drinks based on the league backing them, so it won't change much for me.

Reactions: cptjeff

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Dunno, I think that all of these are a scam. You can mix one yourself if you really want to. Costs like 10 cents.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

Belfour20

Jul 26, 2005
This is one of those weird times where I can't tell who is living in the bubble because BodyArmor is like.... visibly all over the place and pretty readily available in the PNW. Whatever was "niche" about it broke through around here a while ago, and now it's really no more head turning than someone drinking a Powerade instead of Gatorade. Shit's everywhere, and frankly of those named three I like it best by a lot.

I think this is more that BodyArmor has not been a thing up here in Canada up until now (news articles say they only started making it available in our markets up here starting January 2024) . Stores around me only started stocking it within the last two weeks. This marketing deal with the league seems to coincide with a major push of a country wide release.

Reactions: HTFN

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I mean you are in some type of bubble if you can't understand that maybe BodyArmor isn't as popular in other places as it is where you live.
I've been familiar with the product for about 10 years.

Not sure if you live in the US but it's been around here for awhile. I want to say Kobe was an original investor?

They're owned by Coke, so they're not going anywhere.
You are correct about Kobe being an investor

• Wow
Reactions: Recipe Unlimited

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
Biosteel is broke mostly because they are everywhere. They filed for Bankruptcy:

Old news. They were sold and have a new owner from canada ontario. Dan Crosby

I never seen any of these products , bring back powerade/gatorade
Both those are outdated junk. Biosteel is amazing

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
BioSteel had like 2 good flavors, which were MUCH better than their Powerrade/Gatorade extremely low or zero calories counterparts.
Their Cherrylime drink is a total crime against humanity though.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Old news. They were sold and have a new owner from canada ontario. Dan Crosby

Both those are outdated junk. Biosteel is amazing

Might be old news but they couldn't fulfil the agreement they had with the NHL hence why they were replaced. I believe a lot of NHL players sponsored by them were never paid either.

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
I’ve always been baffled by the “official sponsor of <insert team>” marketing… I mean, obviously it works on people or else the advertisers wouldn’t sink massive amounts of money into it, but… who goes to the grocery store because they heard it was their favorite team’s “official” superstore? Who calls the injury law firm because they heard on the radio it was that hockey dude’s favorite lawyer? Do people really believe they’ll unlock some latent athletic ability if they guzzle this official sports drink?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I’ve always been baffled by the “official sponsor of <insert team>” marketing… I mean, obviously it works on people or else the advertisers wouldn’t sink massive amounts of money into it, but… who goes to the grocery store because they heard it was their favorite team’s “official” superstore? Who calls the injury law firm because they heard on the radio it was that hockey dude’s favorite lawyer? Do people really believe they’ll unlock some latent athletic ability if they guzzle this official sports drink?
Advertising is subconscious… the more you hear the name of a product or see a picture of it on your screen, the more it’s embedded into your mind, in turn making you more likely to consume it

Reactions: MoreDifferentS

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I honestly really like BioSteel. Wish they didn't go bankrupt because I'd buy Costco packs of that stuff and go through like six in a day or more.

• Wow
Reactions: powerbomb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad