Salary Cap: Bodie, Ranger, Kuli, Raymond, Bolland, & McClement: What to do with our UFAs?

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Does everyone know that Shea Weber's fiancee is Tim Lieweke's daughter?:D

Anyways I will keep Bolland MCclement and Bodie, let the rest walk.

I would sign Komarov.

And trade Kadri, Gardiner, Riemer and a 1st '14 to Nashville for Shea Weber.

JVR-BOZAK-KESSEL
LUPUL-BOLLAND-CLARKSON
KOMAROV-HOLLAND-ASHTON
BODIE-MCCLEMENT-D'AMIGO

WEBER-REILLY
PHANEUF-GUNNERSON
GLEASON-FRANSON

BERNIER
MACINTYRE

To me trading Kadri for the sake of Bolland and for us to be able to get Weber in return outweighs having Kadri on our team. Bolland isnt exactly old, he's a two-way player and a leader. Character guy.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

I would sign Komarov.

JVR-BOZAK-KESSEL
LUPUL-BOLLAND-CLARKSON
KOMAROV-HOLLAND-ASHTON
BODIE-MCCLEMENT-D'AMIGO

WEBER-REILLY
PHANEUF-GUNNERSON
GLEASON-FRANSON

BERNIER
MACINTYRE

To me trading Kadri for the sake of Bolland and for us to be able to get Weber in return outweighs having Kadri on our team. Bolland isnt exactly old, he's a two-way player and a leader. Character guy.

We got the wrong son-in-law

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Bolland as number 2 centre would be a good start to a tank campaign but it sucks that we'll have to give him 6 years or whatever to make it happen.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario

I would sign Komarov.

JVR-BOZAK-KESSEL
LUPUL-BOLLAND-CLARKSON
KOMAROV-HOLLAND-ASHTON
BODIE-MCCLEMENT-D'AMIGO

WEBER-REILLY
PHANEUF-GUNNERSON
GLEASON-FRANSON

BERNIER
MACINTYRE

Realistically I don't see how Nashville will part with Weber, even if they have Jones. And I don't think they'd be enough either...but if so, I'd gladly do that. We could also unload Phaneuf then as we probably won't have enough cap space for both.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Realistically I don't see how Nashville will part with Weber, even if they have Jones. And I don't think they'd be enough either...but if so, I'd gladly do that. We could also unload Phaneuf then as we probably won't have enough cap space for both.

That, and the fact Weber would and should be the captain and most likely couldn't stand listening to Lady gaga before big games, during intermissions, showers, practices, bus rides, plane rides, weddings, funerals, ect

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

I would sign Komarov.

JVR-BOZAK-KESSEL
LUPUL-BOLLAND-CLARKSON
KOMAROV-HOLLAND-ASHTON
BODIE-MCCLEMENT-D'AMIGO

WEBER-REILLY
PHANEUF-GUNNERSON
GLEASON-FRANSON

BERNIER
MACINTYRE

You get Weber and Phaneuf is gone. Not paying him 7 million to be the no. 3 D. That and Weber becomes captain.

e84*

That's how negotiations work. Bolland isn't getting $5M+ long-term, from us or from anybody else.

I would rather have a 50% Bolland at 5 million than a 100% Clarkhole at the same price...

this contract has really handcuffed us to say the least... if Clarkhole had any decency he would find a way to get lost for the betterment of the organization.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I would rather have a 50% Bolland at 5 million than a 100% Clarkhole at the same price...

this contract has really handcuffed us to say the least... if Clarkhole had any decency he would find a way to get lost for the betterment of the organization.

clarkson is ~$2 million overpaid. if he was getting $3.25 most people would be cool with him. obviously he is grossly overpaid but that $2 million is not what is stopping the leafs from being competitive.

the clarkson contract is also done with. its over, now all we can do is live with it. it doesnt mean we need to repeat the same mistake over and over again.

if bolland is going to sign a cheap or short term contract why wouldnt he do it with a contending team? the only real incentive the leafs can offer a player is money. thats the problem and why none of our players are ever signed at home town discounts. i would be shocked if bolland resigned in toronto unless nonis is prepared to dump money and term at him which i dont think will happen.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
clarkson is ~$2 million overpaid. if he was getting $3.25 most people would be cool with him. obviously he is grossly overpaid but that $2 million is not what is stopping the leafs from being competitive.

the clarkson contract is also done with. its over, now all we can do is live with it. it doesnt mean we need to repeat the same mistake over and over again.

if bolland is going to sign a cheap or short term contract why wouldnt he do it with a contending team? the only real incentive the leafs can offer a player is money. thats the problem and why none of our players are ever signed at home town discounts. i would be shocked if bolland resigned in toronto unless nonis is prepared to dump money and term at him which i dont think will happen.

When is he 2m overpaid? Not this year. He was 4m overpaid. Big difference. he might get to your level next season but he will never get to the level of that contract without consistently hitting 25-25 and bringing everything else as well. Callahan at 6m is a better deal

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Big huge mistake if we keep Bolland. Hes abysmal. Has to be one of the most overrated players this town has seen in years. Get over the fact that hes from Mimico, that doesnt mean **** all on the ice. Hes awful at faceoffs (worse than Kadri) and seriously bad defensively. Get rid of this guy before Nonis can pull another Clarkson.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
When is he 2m overpaid? Not this year. He was 4m overpaid. Big difference. he might get to your level next season but he will never get to the level of that contract without consistently hitting 25-25 and bringing everything else as well. Callahan at 6m is a better deal

he obviously will never be worth $5.25 million. he career average for points is ~25.

my point was not even about clarkson, it was that just because nonis ****ed up with the clarkson contract doesnt mean he should repeat the same mistake.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

I would sign Komarov.

JVR-BOZAK-KESSEL
LUPUL-BOLLAND-CLARKSON
KOMAROV-HOLLAND-ASHTON
BODIE-MCCLEMENT-D'AMIGO

WEBER-REILLY
PHANEUF-GUNNERSON
GLEASON-FRANSON

BERNIER
MACINTYRE

Hahhahaha yeah looks cool but no...

I don't even think that lineup would be competitive. Our defense would be great, yes, but outside of our first line that's a ZERO offense lineup. You know you have to score goals to win games too, right? That lineup isn't scoring any ****ing goals, first line goes cold and prepare for massive losing streak.

Oct 19, 2007

t.

FFS Toronto fans have *****ed all winter about the 1 million dollar contracts for Raymond and Ranger. Toronto fans want star players for league minimum as if they were paying them. I could care less how much MLSE pay their employees. It don't come from my pocket.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
FFS Toronto fans have *****ed all winter about the 1 million dollar contracts for Raymond and Ranger. Toronto fans want star players for league minimum as if they were paying them. I could care less how much MLSE pay their employees. It don't come from my pocket.

It's not the salary we are worried about; it's that cap hit and how it restricts us from signing players.

How do you expect to sign a Kulemin or Bolland to a cap friendly contract when you just went out and dumped a load on Clarkson?

I can guarantee you, we don't give a rats ass about what is being paid to them. It's that little thing called cap management.

When you tie up significant money in the bottom 6, you won't be looking to upgrade in the top 6.

----------------

Our system is flawed, everyone knows it:

We made deals, that a cup contender should make (Bolland, Raymond, Clarkson) - Raymond was a okay move, can't really go wrong. But it is a compliment player that slides in to put you over the top. We clearly weren't ready, and are clearly pretenders. Glad this year proved it.

However it will likely be another "through the ringer" offseason. Ship out the coach, bring in a couple new faces, throw em in the blender and hope they get us to the post season.

We need to admit loss. Trade the players not in 3-4 year turnaround - keep the picks and bottom out like Colorado.

Next year is the best year to do it. I will watch all 82 games if they admit and stay true to what they are doing; instead of patch working a team together. I am not saying they aren't trying to win, we are, but it is clearly the wrong way.

Keep: Kessel, JvR, Bozak, Rielly, Gardiner, Bernier (Along with picks and prospects with promise)
Retain/sign: Certain guys that will help in the rebuild/turnaround (short term, cheap)

Trade the rest for futures.

Gear up to compete, following next years bottom out.

Last edited:

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

i dont think any one cares how much money they get as it isnt "our" money. people get annoyed when we have to comply with a cap and spend our cap allowance on mediocre players and lock them up for many years on top of it.

i dont think anyone has a problem paying a star, star money which is why kessel gets considerably less abuse then phaneuf. if phaneuf was top 10 in his position then he might not receive nearly as much abuse.

if you look at teams that are contending for the cup they have very few overpaid players. on the leafs right now we have phaneuf, clarkson, and gleason. this summer we have players like bolland, kulemin, mclemment, franson, reimer all just waiting to get overpaid. we cant give bolland $4 million, nevermind $5, we cant give kulemin $3.5, and we cant give our 4th line center $2 million. its not because we are being cheap, its because good teams dont overpay average players.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lupul Bozak Kessel
JVR Kadri Bodie
Ashton Holland D'Amigo
Mc Mc Orr

Gleason Rielly
Gunner Gardiner
Percy Ranger

All year long hahaha

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
Giving in to the rumored contract demands of Bolland would be another anchor on this team and a big bad move. This team is like 2/3rds of a #1 line, no 2nd line and no ist D pairing, but yet at the cap. Hell, I'll even give Bozak the benefit of the doubt, but still you would have Clarkson at 5 mil, Bolland at 5 mil (for 6-8 freakin years!!) and then Phaneuf at 7 mil? For frigs sake, Gardiner and Reilly are your next best D, and thats not fair on those guys.

We can get away with the forward group and call ups from the Marlies, but there has to be a substantial overhaul on the blue line and Franson, Ranger, Gunnarson- these guys have to go. Phaneuf has to go to (for the money) buts thats probably not going to happen.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Free, free, free, and, almost free! :D

Gotta get better at cap management! :laugh:

:)
Yup and be prepared to let them all walk but Bodie

Kulemin makes 3 mill now and has scored in the single digits three years in a row now. He'll want a raise
Bolland is 27 and will be looking for a long-term contract. He can't stay healthy and is ideally a 3rd line C. He'll want a raise
McClement - it will be interesting to see what his demands are. RC completely over-used him so not sure what to make of him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad