Salary Cap: Bodie, Ranger, Kuli, Raymond, Bolland, & McClement: What to do with our UFAs?

ForSpareParts*

Raymond
Bodie
Kuli
McClement
Ranger
Bolland

What happens to them realistically when the season ends?

They all want raises. Would you give it to them.

I guess there's a bit more money next year once Tucker and Armstrong are off the books.

Have you looked at the UFA list for next season? Anyone you want?

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Re-sign everyone. Do over. All that we need is 82 games from Bolland and the cup is ours.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Keep Kulemin and McClement. Try to keep Bolland if possible, but likely the money doesn't make sense.

Nonis (or his replacement) will be hard pressed to find replacements in the offseason this year.

I don't really think those three are the problem. Bolland and McClement is an excellent #3/4 punch, assuming Bolland can stay somewhat healthy. The problems lie in the top six center/defensive strength and the defense group itself.

Last edited:

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Kulemin and Bodie is all I'm interested in.

Replace the rest from within. If we're going tank-mode next year, maybe don't re-sign Kulemin. Let him go to Pittsburgh where he might have a shot at the cup.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
if Nonis is still employed as GM I expect Bolland to be resigned to a 4-5 year 4.5ish mill deal, I expect McClement to be re-signed and Ranger re-signed.

if it was me I might re-sign Kulemin, McClement and Ranger depending on price but the rest would be let go.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd say Bodie is probably the only one that will likely get re-signed. He knows his role and probably won't look for much money.

After that, it will really depend on the money they will want.

In my opinion, if they can accept fair money, I would retain Bodie, Bolland and Ranger.

I like Kulemin but his production and value can be replaced internally. He was given plenty of chances to regain his scoring touch and he's been nowhere to be seen. As good as he is defensively, it doesn't justify a raise that I think he wants. You can say he's better then Bolland but since Bolland is more effectly down the middle and has a better resume, I chose Bolland for the same amount of money. It's tough though and certainly wouldn't be upset having one of the 2... but we can't afford both.

I was really hard on Ranger in the first half of the season. Really hard on him. But I must admit, he's been one of our better defenders lately and I think he really turned a corner. I'd like to see what he could do for one more season.

McClement was fine but not good enough. Completely overrated player. Raymond... no thanks.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Raymond is likely gone.
Bodie/Ranger would come cheap, i'd give them both another 1 year deal.
Kulie/Mac/Bolland i'm on the fence about. If the deal is reasonable fine, if not let them walk. Of the 3 I hope we resign Mac though.

Kyle Doobas*

Re-sign Bodie at 900k and Ranger at $1M. Maybe McClement, if he'll accept another $1.5M deal.

Beyond that, sayonara. Unless Bolland is willing to sign a one or two-year deal at the $4-4.5M he's allegedly asking for, or a four or five-year deal at a significantly reduced cap hit ($3-3.5M, tops).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
Would like to keep McClement, that's about it.
Bodie's a good 4th liner as well.

The better questions is who are we going to bring in to improve the D?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Kulemin and Bodie is all I'm interested in.

Replace the rest from within. If we're going tank-mode next year, maybe don't re-sign Kulemin. Let him go to Pittsburgh where he might have a shot at the cup.

Tank mode isn't realistically happening, except perhaps accidently.

Best we can hope for are some bold trades to steer us back on the right track. Worst case we get another Clarkson-esque contract. What we'll probably get is not much of anything.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Would like to keep McClement, that's about it.
Bodie's a good 4th liner as well.

The better questions is who are we going to bring in to improve the D?

Tank mode bro.

Rielly, Percy, Granberg, Finn, Gardiner will be our future D. Phaneuf, Franson, Gleason etc.. will all have taken a hike by then.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I think Bodie will be back at around league min. I think nepotism plays a role in retaining him, but by the same stroke, will see to it that he takes a cap friendly deal.

Ranger and Raymond are question marks because they obviously drastically outperformed their contracts... Raymond I could see getting moved out though. Maybe if they could fuse him and Clarkson into one player...

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Kulemin and Bodie, thats it. McClement is a joke, Ranger easily replaceable, Raymond will ask for too much and Bolland is beyond terrible.

Bodie and Kulemin both actually do something.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Bodie should be kept, great 4th liner and I can't imagine it'll cost much.

McClement is having a terrible year but is still a great defensive center and shouldn't be expensive

Kulemin would be a good keep if you can get him cheap. He's still a solid 3rd line player.

Raymond is useless unless you're in a fall down competition

Ranger and Bolland can go as well. Not terrible, but not worth the money, especially in Bolland's case.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
McClement is the most overrated player on the leafs boards. If the price is right, I'm interested in retaining Bolland, Kulemin, Ranger and Bodie. Ranger and Bodie can be easily replaced if they become too expensive. Kulemin and Bolland are more difficult to replace, but we need cap structure on this team. Given how things have gone recently though they will be given exorbitant raises.

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
It's disgusting that we're going to let Kulemin, our only winger who is strong along the boards, and defensively somewhat decent, for 3 million and we are stuck with Clarkson for 5.25.

Kyle Doobas*

Kulemin and Bodie, thats it. McClement is a joke, Ranger easily replaceable, Raymond will ask for too much and Bolland is beyond terrible.

Bodie and Kulemin both actually do something.
Kulemin does something, but it's something you can get a guy to do for $1M. No way is he worth $3M or more IMO.

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
Man if Nonis trades Kadri for nothing, and then re-signs Bolland to a #2 center contract... that would be horrendous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad