Salary Cap: Bodie, Ranger, Kuli, Raymond, Bolland, & McClement: What to do with our UFAs?

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
The UFA forwards are among the only Leaf players that know how to play defense at least to some extent.

Leafs are poor defensively.

See the problem here that losing them makes the team weaker defensively not stronger?.

It's for this reason that some decisions have to be made about our personnel that are under contract for next year.

We can't have a top-six which consists of: Lupul, Kadri, Kessel and JVR. You need to pick at least one of those guys and jettison him/them. If Kulemin does a deal at around 2.25 then I think you keep him; if Bolland will go a one-year deal, then I think you keep him; Bodie and McClement you bring back regardless for fourth-line duty.

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
Kulemin: yes but we shouldn't overpay
Ranger: yes if cheap

McClement: maybe if cheap
Bodie: maybe if cheap

Bolland: no because of his injury history and he is asking for a big contract.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Let'm all walk.

Yes, let them walk. Resigning Ranger might be something I would be ok with. He has looked better the more he has played this season. Still far from the guy who looked so good with Tampa but he is a good veteran player who along with Gunnarsson is the kind of calm leaders I want around the youngsters coming through the system.

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
Raymond: Our club seldom seems to sell high, and while I like Raymond's performance (outside cap consideration) I think he's a player that we mo e while is value is higher than it's been in some time.

Goal: Package with other assets for one quality player, or try to flip for a 2nd in '15.

Kulemin and McClement: Retain at reasonable contracts. Chemistry is a tough,thing to replicate as we saw with the removal of a large portion of it either through buyout, release or benching. If this club ignores players with work ethic, defensive conscience and familiarity/chemistry...It's the type of thing Toronto clubs have done to their detriment in the past and the kind of thing Detroit haven't to their lasting satisfaction.

Goal: Reasonable contract signing.

Bolland: I'd like to keep him. I thought when healthy, he was everything this club brought him here for. Some believe he's asking for too much. Perhaps slightly, but if he continued to perform as he did when healthy, I'd give him 5 and the C.

His contract demands would go down much differently if Clarkson and Dion were wearing another sweater. Has anyone else noticed how well Bolland responded to Toronto's pressure? I don't know if it's him or the two rings, but he has everything this fan base and club wants.

Goal: Keep him...Move one or both of the albatross contracts to do it.

Bodie: Ashton,D'Amigo,Holland,Leivo deserve the ice time if the Leafs future is of any interest. If any pick in any year is available, take it and run.

Goal: Give his ice time to the better talent waiting in the Marlies.

Ranger: Why Brennan isn't up is baffling. If Ranger comes back, he's fine at around the 1.5/yr mark anything else...Replace from within.

Goal: Retain at modest increase or flip for anything or allow commitment to void.

Reimer: I'd wait to see what happens with Carlyle. Another coach and another Bernier injury could be just the sow's ear into a silk purse moment the hockey gods owe our club. If Reimer regains form the return is better and obviously better for our club. His salary is cap friendly for a 1b...Barring the Islanders accepting him, Kadri and prospect/pick for Tavares type opportunity, the club shouldn't knee jerk into another Gustavsson give.

Goal: Wait and maximize the asset.
Packaging a bunch of C level players to get a B level player does not happen often in the NHL. Latest exception was the Phaneuf deal.

So we'll basically be an expansion team, great. Now it's the 10 year rebuild:cry:
Well we can't keep all of our current forwards/defense and expect different results. Unless another coach can do a ridiculously better job than Carlyle.

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
So we'll basically be an expansion team, great. Now it's the 10 year rebuild:cry:

Bodie and Ranger are both replacement level players

We don't need McClement to have a terrible PK, we have that with him

Bolland is too battle worn to reinvest in.

Raymond was fine for a million, and that ship has sailed.

Kulemin is the only one I'd consider but it would have to be at a good price.

D'Amigo, Holland, and Ashton are candidates up front and I'd rather see a Percy or something as our 7th defenseman.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Bodie and Ranger are both replacement level players

We don't need McClement to have a terrible PK, we have that with him

Bolland is too battle worn to reinvest in.

Raymond was fine for a million, and that ship has sailed.

Kulemin is the only one I'd consider but it would have to be at a good price.

D'Amigo, Holland, and Ashton are candidates up front and I'd rather see a Percy or something as our 7th defenseman.

i feel like bodie and ranger are the most likely to be resigned. they will be the cheapest and seem to have the strongest ties to toronto (isnt bodie big tims son in law and ranger basically only wants to be in toronto for family reasons apparently).

i really hope nonis lets the rest go. i would much rather see ashton, damigo, holland and possibly abbott or leivo all under a million.

bottom line we cant pay a 3rd line center $5 million. we cant pay a 4th line center $2 million, we cant pay a 3rd line winger $3.5 million +. the clarkson signing is crap but we should learn from that mistake. it is also a good time for nonis to put his stamp on the team by bringing in players of his choosing.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
i feel like bodie and ranger are the most likely to be resigned. they will be the cheapest and seem to have the strongest ties to toronto (isnt bodie big tims son in law and ranger basically only wants to be in toronto for family reasons apparently).

i really hope nonis lets the rest go. i would much rather see ashton, damigo, holland and possibly abbott or leivo all under a million.

bottom line we cant pay a 3rd line center $5 million. we cant pay a 4th line center $2 million, we cant pay a 3rd line winger $3.5 million +. the clarkson signing is crap but we should learn from that mistake. it is also a good time for nonis to put his stamp on the team by bringing in players of his choosing.

Hard to disagree here. I would try to keep Bolland though on a very short-term deal because of what we paid to get him and basically had a solid impact prior to his injury.

Flushing away assets is just terrible assets management. It's fine to let one or two pieces go, but we are essentially letting walk 3 really good players and 1 bargain bin player that should have been traded. It ****ing sucks to let them go for nothing after such a terrible season.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Agreed
Bolland will be able to sign elsewhere for longer. Let him. The Leafs can't sign this guy long-term. It has disaster written all over it

ForSpareParts*

Bob MacKenzie: "make sure to not throw out the baby with the bath water".

Meaning a small adjustment like a new coach could make the difference as opposed to doing a complete overhaul of the players.

Two seasons ago JVR, McClement, McLaren, and Fraser made a difference. JVR costing the most, but the others were signed cheaply or came from our system. Hopefully we can do the same this offseason.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Meaning a small adjustment like a new coach could make the difference as opposed to doing a complete overhaul of the players.

Two seasons ago JVR, McClement, McLaren, and Fraser made a difference. JVR costing the most, but the others were signed cheaply or came from our system. Hopefully we can do the same this offseason.

It's true. I don't think this team is as bad as their record shows lately.
What it shows to me though, is that they either won't or can't play RC's system. And they don't believe in it

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
It's true. I don't think this team is as bad as their record shows lately.
What it shows to me though, is that they either won't or can't play RC's system. And they don't believe in it

This. People don't understand that the Ducks were having IDENTICAL problems ie: getting outshot and poessision numbers, under Carlyle... Changes are needed, but drastic they should not be.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Raymond
Bodie

Keep

Too expensive for what you get. Gone.

McClement

Useless for anything other than the PK. Gone.

Keep for the third pair.

Love the guy but gone. If the rumours about his contract demands are true.. yikes

What happens to them realistically when the season ends?

Realistically Nonis will probably overpay for Kulemin and Bolland and who even cares about the other spare parts.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
I sign Bodie and Ranger. I let everyone else walk.

The miserable PK this year is proof McClement isn't that valuable. Faceoffs are over-rated and I don't even think he's that great defensively. He has almost no offensive upside.

Raymond will and should seek 3-3.5. Too much coin for the Leafs, and also not good defensively.

I like Kulemin would like him to come back, but he's lost nearly all of his offensive touch. I think Ashton could do a similar job.

I don't even touch Dave Bolland. I walk away completely and let Holland prove his worth.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Is what we will see up front, with a new coach:

JvR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-(F/A to make us happy)
Leivo-Holland-Clarkson
Komarov-McClement-Bodie
Ashton

Kulemin and Bolland both want too much and don't do nearly enough. Could see one of them come back after testing the market and realizing there was actually no "home discount" to their agents proposed contracts.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I sign Bodie and Ranger. I let everyone else walk.

The miserable PK this year is proof McClement isn't that valuable. Faceoffs are over-rated and I don't even think he's that great defensively. He has almost no offensive upside.

Raymond will and should seek 3-3.5. Too much coin for the Leafs, and also not good defensively.

I like Kulemin would like him to come back, but he's lost nearly all of his offensive touch. I think Ashton could do a similar job.

I don't even touch Dave Bolland. I walk away completely and let Holland prove his worth.

Faceoffs are overrated? Only for a team living off the other team having the puck I suppose

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Hard to disagree here. I would try to keep Bolland though on a very short-term deal because of what we paid to get him and basically had a solid impact prior to his injury.

Flushing away assets is just terrible assets management. It's fine to let one or two pieces go, but we are essentially letting walk 3 really good players and 1 bargain bin player that should have been traded. It ****ing sucks to let them go for nothing after such a terrible season.

every report i have heard regarding bolland is that he is looking for $5 million + term. even if he compromises on the dollar amount its not wise to give injury prone players coming off huge injuries long term contracts. its also not wise to sign bottom 6 players to long term contracts.

i agree that typically it is poor asset management to "flush away" assets but the time to get something of value for these ufa was at the trade deadline. the problem is at that time we thought we were going to be making the playoffs.

i agree a different coach with the same roster could possibly have a different result but i think ultimately we have some major issues that no coach can fix. predominately leadership, overall defensive play, compete level. a coach can motivate and preach defense but at the end of the day the players are responsible.

the way i see it we have 10-jack suited. its pretty good but its not pocket aces or even ace-king. sometimes you need to be patient and fold a half decent hand and wait until you get your cards.

at some point we are going to have to promote from within. it is the cheapest, easiest way to get players and for whatever reason the culture of our prospects with the marlies is the polar opposite of what it is with the leafs. players like damigo, ashton, holland, bodie, etc are all heart and soul, blue collar, effort every shift guys. we need these types of guys sprinkled in with the talent.

id be more then ok going into the season letting the kids show what they can do. the reality is there are no free agents that are good enough to fix this team on their own and we dont have the assets to make a trade to change things up without hurting us somewhere else.

baring something improbable happening like stealing eric staal out of carolina, im hoping to go into the season with,

jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kadri-ashton
damigo-holland-clarkson
marlie-mclemment-bodie
orr

phaneuf-gunnarson
rielly-gleason
gardiner-ranger/granberg/percy

bernier
reimer

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
Is what we will see up front, with a new coach:

JvR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-(F/A to make us happy)
Leivo-Holland-Clarkson
Komarov-McClement-Bodie
Ashton

Kulemin and Bolland both want too much and don't do nearly enough. Could see one of them come back after testing the market and realizing there was actually no "home discount" to their agents proposed contracts.

That actually sounds like an awesome line. Problem being Komarov wants third line minutes... I see Leivo staying in the minors for another year, and having Komarov take his spot. Ashton or D'Amigo gets that last 4th line spot, and Orr scratched. When you play Boston or some "tough" team, you're gonna want someone who doesn't get his nose broken in every fight :laugh:

dantheleaffan

Feb 26, 2010
Keep Kulemin

The rest can be replaced:
Bring back Komarov and sign a 3rd line center like Goc in free agency

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
I forgot about Raymond.
Let him walk.
Some other team will pay him more than 2 and he is exactly the type of player that we don`t need on our third line.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Resign Kulemin, Bodie, and Ranger.

Let Raymond, Bolland walk.

Unless they'll take sweetheart deals, we don't em..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad