Bobrovsky first 31 games - .897 sv% 3.29 GAA

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Someone tried to tell me GM's are never idiots when it comes to FA's.

LOL.

Fun thread seeing some of the immediate defenders of Bob considering how it has gone since. (My fav is Soundandfury of COURSE having to defend the russian player)

Now tbf to those early thread guys, it HAD been just 5 games. Way too early to be definitive and FLA fans were very much happy with Bob/down on their own D.

Then you have the fun back and forth about winning a cup with a good goalie vs an elite one. Fun bc of how both guys alternated between decent points and really bad, misleading ones (One poster was way more guilty of the latter. You be the judge of who)

Then I skipped to the end just now. Maybe I'll read the rest later.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
He's too good to be this bad already.

I haven't seen him play.

I assume it's connected to a lack of confidence, no? If so - I hope he bounces back. It's easy to get inside your head too much when stuff goes wrong.

He can't decline just like that.. he's not that old.

And exactly how bad is the D?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
He's too good to be this bad already.

I haven't seen him play.

I assume it's connected to a lack of confidence, no? If so - I hope he bounces back. It's easy to get inside your head too much when stuff goes wrong.

He can't decline just like that.. he's not that old.

And exactly how bad is the D?
To be fair, his save percentage has gone down every year since his last Vezina. Even behind a solid defense in a defense first system he didn't post great numbers last season.

2017: .931 SV%
2018: .921 SV%
2019: .913 SV%
2020: .896 SV%

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
To be fair, his save percentage has gone down every year since his last Vezina. Even behind a solid defense in a defense first system he didn't post great numbers last season.

2017: .931 SV%
2018: .921 SV%
2019: .913 SV%
2020: .896 SV%
That was due to average first couple months, he was lights out the second half of the season

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
That was due to average first couple months, he was lights out the second half of the season
That's the thing about hockey, it's a 6 month season so when you play poorly for the first 2 months, it's going to negatively affect your numbers. You're making it sound like playing bad for a third or in your words half of the season isn't a big deal. Bob didn't really turn it around until mid December and even then he posted a .921 SV% for the remainder of the season which is good but hardly "lights out" considering it would have ranked him 11th in the NHL.

Last edited:

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
This is why you should never pay 10M to a goalie - or at least long-term.

Looking at CapFriendly, there are currently 16 goalies in the NHL* making 5M or more.
Only 4 of them have a sv% of 0.915 or more (Rask, Hellebuyck, Lehner, Varlamov).
Only 3 of them have a GAA of 2.7 or less (Rask, Varlamov, Hellebuyck).

Conclusion: This season, Rask and Hellebuyck are the only ones who are sporting long-term contracts and doing great. There are others who are somewhat playing up to their contract (in addition to Lehner & Varlamov I'd say at least Andersen & MAF considering their W/L ratio), but their numbers don't scream "this is why I get paid this much!".

Goalies are voodoo. Even Rinne, who has been rather consistent (at least when looking at season stats; everyone goes through rough stretches), has fallen below .900. While I think he'll bounce back when NSH improves their D game, those numbers are not good - especially for a $5M goalie.

*Luongo is not in the NHL anymore.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
That's the thing about hockey, it's a 6 month season so when you play poorly for the first 2 months, it's going to negatively affect your numbers. You're making it sound like playing bad for a third or in your words half of the season isn't a big deal. Bob didn't really turn it around until mid December and even then he posted a .921 SV% for the remainder of the season which is good but hardly "lights out" considering it would have ranked him 11th in the NHL.

Dude, we get it. You hate the Panthers for whatever reason and are always taking shots at them for whatever reason. The Bob contract, the Coots vs Huberdeau thread etc.

Its bordering on obsession...

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
This is quickly looking like one of the worst contracts in the league. Though it's tough to completely fault Bob for that stat line. He doesn't have the D that he had with the Blue Jackets.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
This is why you should never pay 10M to a goalie - or at least long-term.

Looking at CapFriendly, there are currently 16 goalies in the NHL* making 5M or more.
Only 4 of them have a sv% of 0.915 or more (Rask, Hellebuyck, Lehner, Varlamov).
Only 3 of them have a GAA of 2.7 or less (Rask, Varlamov, Hellebuyck).

Conclusion: This season, Rask and Hellebuyck are the only ones who are sporting long-term contracts and doing great. There are others who are somewhat playing up to their contract (in addition to Lehner & Varlamov I'd say at least Andersen & MAF considering their W/L ratio), but their numbers don't scream "this is why I get paid this much!".

Goalies are voodoo. Even Rinne, who has been rather consistent (at least when looking at season stats; everyone goes through rough stretches), has fallen below .900. While I think he'll bounce back when NSH improves their D game, those numbers are not good - especially for a $5M goalie.

*Luongo is not in the NHL anymore.

Agreed, there are very few goalies who should be above the 8.5M range and truthfully just about the only two I’d feel comfortable paying those numbers are Vasi and Rask, maybe Hellebuyck.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Dude, we get it. You hate the Panthers for whatever reason and are always taking shots at them for whatever reason. The Bob contract, the Coots vs Huberdeau thread etc.

Its bordering on obsession...
And here you are, yet again, quoting me while bringing absolutely zero substance to the discussion. Care to rebut anything I said? Anything at all? If not, then move along.

Talk about obsessed.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He is still a guy that could go on a crazy heater for 2 months and it would shock few people. The fact the Panthers are in a playoff hunt with how bad he has been is surprising. If he gets hot, the wins could start racking up.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
And here you are, yet again, quoting me while bringing absolutely zero substance to the discussion. Care to rebut anything I said? Anything at all? If not, then move along.

Talk about obsessed.

We know it's a bad contract.
Get over it.
You're the one that needs to move along because you pretend to know the ins and outs of the Panthers and you don't
Does it make you feel better to shit on the Panthers any chance you can?

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Still not trying to be rude?
Hockey has sucked this season for the Sharks. Seeing Marleau have a flash of speed like he was in his 20's again yesterday was exciting, and the player he skated past was being discussed, so I brought it up. I even implied Ekblad was having a good season.

Hope Florida does well from here on.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
We know it's a bad contract.
Get over it.
You're the one that needs to move along because you pretend to know the ins and outs of the Panthers and you don't
Does it make you feel better to **** on the Panthers any chance you can?
Just in case you haven't noticed, this is a message board. So no, I don't need to move along as long as I'm staying on topic, which I am. I'm not claiming to know the "ins and outs" of the Panthers, but if you have a problem with anything I'm saying, just provide some kind of rebuttal to anything I've said backed up by facts or statistics and prove me wrong. There are nearly 700 posts here and you reply to me every chance you get but never bring anything to the table. If you know the contract is bad and think there's nothing else to add here, simply scroll past the thread. This is the main boards, not your team's safe space. Either add something to the discussion or go away.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Just in case you haven't noticed, this is a message board. So no, I don't need to move along as long as I'm staying on topic, which I am. I'm not claiming to know the "ins and outs" of the Panthers, but if you have a problem with anything I'm saying, just provide some kind of rebuttal to anything I've said backed up by facts or statistics and prove me wrong. There are nearly 700 posts here and you reply to me every chance you get but never bring anything to the table. If you know the contract is bad and think there's nothing else to add here, simply scroll past the thread. This is the main boards, not your team's safe space. Either add something to the discussion or go away.
Well, you have been taking generalized pot shots at Panthers fans, including earlier in this thread, so there's some cause for disgruntlement. I mean, I can understand why it would be in the interest of some Flyers fans to crap on and/or otherwise dismiss Bob and his career as much as possible, seeing as though it makes having given him up in the first place hurt less, but that doesn't excuse taking it out on fans of the team that currently employs him.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad