Bobrovsky first 31 games - .897 sv% 3.29 GAA

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Well, you have been taking generalized pot shots at Panthers fans, including earlier in this thread, so there's some cause for disgruntlement. I mean, I can understand why it would be in the interest of some Flyers fans to crap on and/or otherwise dismiss Bob and his career as much as possible, seeing as though it makes having given him up in the first place hurt less, but that doesn't excuse taking it out on fans of the team that currently employs him.
Pointing out the excuses that have been used to address comments like the one replied to in that link is not a "pot shot" against Panthers fans. The same way that you saying the Flyers giving up on Bob hurt the Flyers and their fans. That's not a pot shot, it's true. I wish the Flyers never got rid of Bob, he's had a very good career and I've never taken away from his accomplishments. That being said, if the Flyers never let Bob go and he played the past 8 seasons with the team and then it was the Flyers who gave him the contract we're discussing, I would have been highly critical of the move. There was a lot of discussion towards the end of last season among Flyers fans and Flyers writers about possibly signing Bob and the vast majority of the fanbase, myself included, said that signing him to a huge, long term deal would be a terrible idea.

All I ask is that people, specifically that one poster, stop replying to everything I say with the same nonsense. Either debate my post or more on with your day. Attacking me and calling me names is just sad and childish.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
At the start of the game, when the broadcast was introducing the goalies, I was surprised to see Quick matched up against a goalie with worse stats than him. I can't remember the last time that that happened.

Reactions: ultra63

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
I'm feeling really sorry for the Panthers. Now they have a heavy financial anchor that is going to make it hard to do any rebuilds during a several years.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
What has he done these past 10 years that makes you think he deserves an nth chance to fix the team?

Was this passed offseason not the first time he was allowed to spend ?

If so, then I would let him to try fix the defense. They're not very good and Bob not being Bob makes them look even worse.

Panthers have some good prospects they could dangle to improve their d.

Florida has the fire power upfront. Likely lose some with Hoffman leaving, but they have Owen Tippett likely ready for the big league.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I don't understand why all the blame is being given to Bob anyways. Their D is one of the worst in the league by a long shot. Sure he gives up some stinkers and isn't worth his contract, but watching quite a few of their games this year, Bob plays generally pretty well but has almost no team support in front of him a lot of times.

Last night it looked like the Panthers just gave up halfway through the game.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I don't understand why all the blame is being given to Bob anyways. Their D is one of the worst in the league by a long shot. Sure he gives up some stinkers and isn't worth his contract, but watching quite a few of their games this year, Bob plays generally pretty well but has almost no team support in front of him a lot of times.

Well because he makes $10m

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Why are you bashing the Panthers, instead of being happy for the nice players they have?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Well because he makes $10m
Yep. You don't pay a player $10 million per year to be a product of other players.

"But a goalie is always at least partly a product of team defense!"

Then don't pay any goalie that much. It seems like a sub-optimal use of resources when compared to going the platoon approach of cheaper guys and going with the hot hand.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Bob is being paid like a player that will win you some games. He is playing like a player who will lose you games.

His contract also makes it so they can’t be as flexible in fixing the disaster you’re referring to in front of him.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
What if the Panthers had not offered Bob that contract and instead threw $11m x 7 years plus a very nice house on the beach at Pietrangelo.

I'm thinking Pietrangelo stays in St. Louis, but that would be a tough offer to turn down.

As you can tell by my avatar, I am still a fan of Bobrovsky and think he is a top goalie. I just question the allocation of resources.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Yep. You don't pay a player $10 million per year to be a product of other players.

"But a goalie is always at least partly a product of team defense!"

Then don't pay any goalie that much. It seems like a sub-optimal use of resources when compared to going the platoon approach of cheaper guys and going with the hot hand.

Exactly! And so many Panthers fans don't get this!

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
What if the Panthers had not offered Bob that contract and instead threw $11m x 7 years plus a very nice house on the beach at Pietrangelo.

I'm thinking Pietrangelo stays in St. Louis, but that would be a tough offer to turn down.

As you can tell by my avatar, I am still a fan of Bobrovsky and think he is a top goalie. I just question the allocation of resources.

There's no way the Panthers weren't making major changes last offseason. There's rumblings they are looking to make major changes this offseason too. Plus pietrangelo might not even make it to free agency. No team is gonna wait for a year like that for one player who might not even hit free agency.

Anyway I think the Panthers had it right. They just didn't have the blueline to make it work. Bob had spent the better part of the last decade behind a very solid blueline.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
There's no way the Panthers weren't making major changes last offseason. There's rumblings they are looking to make major changes this offseason too. Plus pietrangelo might not even make it to free agency. No team is gonna wait for a year like that for one player who might not even hit free agency.

Anyway I think the Panthers had it right. They just didn't have the blueline to make it work. Bob had spent the better part of the last decade behind a very solid blueline.

While it is encouraging that Panthers ownership may be willing to spend money to improve the team, that money needs to be spent wisely.

Also, I'm not saying they should plan on Pietrangelo becoming a free agent. I'm saying it is useful to keep that money free in case someone like him does become a free agent rather than commit it to a goalie.

Change for the sake of change and spending money for the sake of spending money is not a recipe for success.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
While it is encouraging that Panthers ownership may be willing to spend money to improve the team, that money needs to be spent wisely.

Also, I'm not saying they should plan on Pietrangelo becoming a free agent. I'm saying it is useful to keep that money free in case someone like him does become a free agent rather than commit it to a goalie.

Change for the sake of change and spending money for the sake of spending money is not a recipe for success.

Keeping 100M set aside and not making anything other than minor changes was not gonna fly with Panthers fans last summer. They would have less attendance than they have now. While many Panthers fans are at their wit's end with the team right now, they at least acknowledge that an effort has been made, and will continue to be made. You have to understand, that plays a crucial part in this. The Panthers also have to start making the playoffs and become a regular playoff contender asap. Not spending, and being conservative and patient isn't gonna fly after 20 years of nothingness and bitter disappointment.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

paragon

May 5, 2010
It's Bryzgalov all over again. I guess Bob learned this from him in Philadelphia. Buy-out in 2 years?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
It's Bryzgalov all over again. I guess Bob learned this from him in Philadelphia. Buy-out in 2 years?

That's a very poor take. Bobrovsky won 2 Vezinas after that time so I'm not sure what your point is. Bryzgalov himself has been nominated once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad