Bobrovsky first 31 games - .897 sv% 3.29 GAA

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
All of this being said BOB had a horrible October and November and has been good in December with a .917 Save%

Florida desperately needs some young Dmen to emerge from their pipeline and I was a critic of them taking Knight in the first round last year with guys like York and Harley still on the table.
Bob was 12th in SV% and 23rd in GAA in December. He had a great first 2 weeks of December followed by a terrible last two weeks. He had a pretty average month overall which is not good enough when he's making that kind of money. I know the team needs help on defense but he's supposed to be one of the best goalies in the world. He needs to be better for that team to succeed.

Florida must be a really great team to be able to have as many points as they do, with that awful goaltending.
Florida is in 9th place in the East and if they didn't have a top 5 offense they would be out of the playoff picture completely. It's not like they're looking great. They've given up 4+ goals in 5 of the past 6 games and they've somehow managed to win 3 of them because of their offense. The one game they didn't give up 4 goals, Bob didn't even start. It was Chris Drieger who's spent the last 5 years splitting time between the ECHL and AHL who had the one good game, not the $10m man.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
It was a horrible deal when it was made and it's a horrible deal still. Bob is a quality goalie though and he should be able to help the Cats years to come. Still massively overpaid.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Feel free to read any of my past posts on Sergei Bobrovsky.

The Columbus Blue Jackets team/defense made him (his" numbers" and "stats") appear much better than he actually was. It wasn't the opposite, that he made the team significantly better, what many CBJ fans and opposing fans seemed to think for so long.

I will always wonder and hope the CBJ had a different goalies in past playoff years and/or went with the All Star Korpisalo last year, at the very least.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Feel free to read any of my past posts on Sergei Bobrovsky.

The Columbus Blue Jackets team/defense made him (his" numbers" and "stats") appear much better than he actually was. It wasn't the opposite, that he made the team significantly better, what many CBJ fans and opposing fans seemed to think for so long.

I will always wonder and hope the CBJ had a different goalies in past playoff years and/or went with the All Star Korpisalo last year, at the very least.

Oh please. If you go with Korpisalo last year, you don't get out of the first round.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Oh please. If you go with Korpisalo last year, you don't get out of the first round.

That's fine that you feel that way. Doesn't make it true.

Do you have any idea how each guy looked at the beginning of last year? No, you don't.

Korpisalo ALMOST took the job from Bobrovsky last Oct-Nov.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Bob was 12th in SV% and 23rd in GAA in December. He had a great first 2 weeks of December followed by a terrible last two weeks. He had a pretty average month overall which is not good enough when he's making that kind of money. I know the team needs help on defense but he's supposed to be one of the best goalies in the world. He needs to be better for that team to succeed.

Florida is in 9th place in the East and if they didn't have a top 5 offense they would be out of the playoff picture completely. It's not like they're looking great. They've given up 4+ goals in 5 of the past 6 games and they've somehow managed to win 3 of them because of their offense. The one game they didn't give up 4 goals, Bob didn't even start. It was Chris Drieger who's spent the last 5 years splitting time between the ECHL and AHL who had the one good game, not the $10m man.

Bob looked pretty good against your Flyers in November, a 5-2 win stopping 35/37.
10 of our 20 wins were 2 goals or less against and he was in net for 6 of those 10 wins.
It's a consistency thing with him and the team, everyone knows our defense isn't helping.

As disappointing as Bob and the team has been in some games, we're breathing right down your neck in the wildcard race. 4 pts behind with a game in hand, you play VGK tonight and we play OTT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Both him and Price, the two highest paid goalies, are having dreadful seasons stats wise.

Reactions: Fixxer

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
That's fine that you feel that way. Doesn't make it true.

Do you have any idea how each guy looked at the beginning of last year? No, you don't.

Korpisalo ALMOST took the job from Bobrovsky last Oct-Nov.

But he didn't. I watch every team play. And Korpisalo was very good early last season, but Bob turned it on and took the job back. And he definitely carried the Jackets in the playoffs, and almost helped them beat the Bruins. It wasn't your defense that stifled Tampa and gave the Bruins fits, it was Bob. There's no way Korpisalo would have put up close to that performance in the postseason.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
But he didn't. I watch every team play. And Korpisalo was very good early last season, but Bob turned it on and took the job back. And he definitely carried the Jackets in the playoffs, and almost helped them beat the Bruins. It wasn't your defense that stifled Tampa and gave the Bruins fits, it was Bob. There's no way Korpisalo would have put up close to that performance in the postseason.

IMO, it was never in question if Bob is a good goalie. He might be one of the weakest goalies mentally in the league. His contract is screwing him, but the important thing to me is, in my opinion, it's easy to get in his head and throw off his game.

You don't want your horse tied to that one wagon IMO. He will collapse every playoff.

Reactions: thebus88

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Bob looked pretty good against your Flyers in November, a 5-2 win stopping 35/37.
10 of our 20 wins were 2 goals or less against and he was in net for 6 of those 10 wins.
It's a consistency thing with him and the team, everyone knows our defense isn't helping.

As disappointing as Bob and the team has been in some games, we're breathing right down your neck in the wildcard race. 4 pts behind with a game in hand, you play VGK tonight and we play OTT.
Yeah, he looked great in that game, it's a shame he hasn't layed like that more often and that is kind of the point of this thread. Anyway, I'm not sure what a single game from 6 weeks ago has to do with anything but if it makes you feel better about Bob, keep watching it on repeat I guess. And yes, Florida is 4 points behind an inconsistent Flyers team who also isn't a contender. If being almost as good as the Flyers is bar you're trying to reach that's a little sad.

I'm not even sure what any of that has to do with what I wrote? Do you disagree with anything? How about you debate something, hell, anything I said in my post instead of getting into some sad diversion where you brag that your team is almost as good as mine and how they beat the Flyers almost 2 months ago.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Yeah, he looked great in that game, it's a shame he hasn't layed like that more often and that is kind of the point of this thread. Anyway, I'm not sure what a single game from 6 weeks ago has to do with anything but if it makes you feel better about Bob, keep watching it on repeat I guess. And yes, Columbus is 4 points behind an inconsistent Flyers team who also isn't a contender. If being almost as good as the Flyers is bar you're trying to reach that's a little sad.

I'm not even sure what any of that has to do with what I wrote? Do you disagree with anything? How about you debate something, hell, anything I said in my post instead of getting into some sad diversion where you brag that your team is almost as good as mine and how they beat the Flyers almost 2 months ago.
He's talking about Florida, not Columbus.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Different standards for different goalies. If Lundqvist was having that kind of year for the Rangers, in any of his $8.5M contract years, the Rangsrs forum would implode.

Somehow it is almost acceptable for Bob to be playing the way he is after winning two Vezina trophies and signing at $10M. He should be the best goalie in the NHL with those credentials and he isnt close to it.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The Panthers play and may have the worst defense in professional hockey.
If goaltending is such a product of team defense - then why pay any goalie $10 million per year?

I think Bob is great (hence my avatar) but the difference between a $6-8 million per year player and a $10 million per year player is that you expect the $10 million player to be a difference maker regardless of what else is going on.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
If goaltending is such a product of team defense - then why pay any goalie $10 million per year?

I think Bob is great (hence my avatar) but the difference between a $6-8 million per year player and a $10 million per year player is that you expect the $10 million player to be a difference maker regardless of what else is going on.

How many point blank shots from the slot are you expecting any goalie regardless of talent to make a game. I'm sure you saw werenski was wide open on his 2nd goal the other night.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
How many point blank shots from the slot are you expecting any goalie regardless of talent to make a game. I'm sure you saw werenski was wide open on his 2nd goal the other night.
But that goes to my point - if the goaltending is a result of the defense, then the money should be spent elsewhere.

Korpisalo was named to the All-Star game. Do I think he's one of the top goalies in the league? No, I think he's probably an average starter. But he's playing behind a very good defense and so his numbers are good. If he wants $10 million on his next deal, the Jackets should say "thanks for the wins" and move on to another average goalie who asks for 1/3 of that.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

It's simple. Bobrovsky wanted 10M. He was gonna get a huge payday from somebody. That is the nature of chasing big name UFAs, gms are at their mercy. If they don't pony up, said player looks elsewhere.

The Panthers were going to lose Luongo to retirement, and had nothing in the pipeline. They needed to make a big move. They had just missed the playoffs due to their bad goaltending. It was obvious what was to come.

Also, we haven't seen the best of Bob. As the Panthers' team defense calms down, so will Bob. When the Cats have kept things tight and ga down, Bob has played great hockey.

Reactions: Boothinator

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If Knight is as good as advertised is he going to be happy as a backup for 2-3 years or do the Panther fans end up having a 10 million dollar backup?

I think there’s a lot TBD. if Bob gets outplayed and is backup, so be it.

In that case he'd be bought out.
Nah, they'll get him to go back to Russia so they can void the rest of his contract. Failing that, he'll mysteriously develop the same skin allergy Marian Hossa has and they'll LTIR him to make cap space.

It's why the salary cap is kind of a farce; no one ever has to really pay for bad contracts - it's just a matter of how to unload it on someone else or duck it completely when the time comes.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
cop.jpg

Reactions: I am not exposed

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The Panthers play and may have the worst defense in professional hockey.

Yeah, don't think so! That crown belongs only to the 19-20 Detroit Red Wings! No team has a worse blueline crew than that, and we also suck defensively up front as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad