Bobby Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I do wonder what happened to all this wait until the season started to start talking about contract. Was it once again just ********?

People keep talking, give and take ensues, and poof! we got a deal that both sides can live with sooner than expected.

We'll cross the term bridge when we get there. He's got a good chance to live up to his dollar amount in the immediate years. Interested to see how the cash spreads out.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
People keep talking, give and take ensues, and poof! we got a deal that both sides can live with sooner than expected.

We'll cross the term bridge when we get there. He's got a good chance to live up to his dollar amount in the immediate years. Interested to see how the cash spreads out.

I think the term is fine honestly. He would have pretty much gotten the same term if he went to free agency.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
remembering that off the record episode last week with landsberg, ray, and byers laughing about bobby ryans comments. Saying hes as good as gone.

Yep, they all had a great laugh.

not to mention Pierre McGuire, everytime he was asked, just kept mentioning bobby conections to philly bobby Clarke blah blah blah...McGuire hardly follows the Sens anymore...get him off Ottawa radio ffs. such a geek.

who takes landsberg seriously though.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I do wonder what happened to all this wait until the season started to start talking about contract. Was it once again just ********?

That was a negotiating ploy, nothing more. Ryan's camp didn't want to look like they were in too much of a hurry, which in turn put some pressure on the Senators. They had some leverage in that the Sens wanted to get this deal done, and they used it. It's a contract negotiation - as the mafia says, nothing personal, just business...:laugh:

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I was pretty close:

"As per usual, take this for what it's worth...

Apparently Ryan has "committed" to an extension,but there are apparently two deals on the table.

The first deal is for 2-3 years, at around 7.5M per.
The second is a 7-8 year deal worth around 6.5M per, that's front loaded in the first couple of seasons (as much as it can be with the new CBA)

Ryan asked for some time to consider the two offers, and both sides are supposed to resume talks again in Sept."

You're a regular Bob MacKenzie, good for you!

Oh hey look, we're keeping our core players and not losing them left and right like the fear mongers had us believe. Shocking.

Well, word on Twitter from various news sources is that Methot will reject the Senators offer. So if he doesn't sign then the Senators D is catastrophic. This was a bit of an overpayment but still a good deal.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We don't need Methot as long as Cowen starts playing up to his potential

If Marc doesn't want to be here it's his loss

It would hurt for sure but bad contracts hurt us more than our two local rivals Laughs and Scabs: they are not worth it for us

Plus the word is management has other concerns about Methot and there's been plenty of talk here about those: I trust management's call on this

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
You're a regular Bob MacKenzie, good for you!

Well, word on Twitter from various news sources is that Methot will reject the Senators offer. So if he doesn't sign then the Senators D is catastrophic. This was a bit of an overpayment but still a good deal.

Ah yes, the fear mongering was definitely everyone freaking out that Methot wouldn't sign.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Swapped tweets with Simmer this morning, and he said the deal's a PR coup for the Sens, but he's not a fan of the terms of the contract.

Neither am I. The Sens are splashing 7+ mil for a winger with serious, and potentially reoccurring, health problems. The term is too long for my liking, but I'm just conservative when it comes to doling out years beyond 4-5 on a contract.

Good for the Sens though, signing their only elite offensive talent for the foreseeable future. (Turris can't be called elite because he hasn't faced top pairs over the course of a full season yet) Shows commitment to the future, and Ryan will be a huge key for them if they're to mount any kind of serious playoff/cup bid in the next 3-4 years.

if they can overspend by 1.25-1.75m on a guy like Ryan, then surely they can splash the extra 400-600k to get a deal done with Methot.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Swapped tweets with Simmer this morning, and he said the deal's a PR coup for the Sens, but he's not a fan of the terms of the contract.

Neither am I. The Sens are splashing 7+ mil for a winger with serious, and potentially reoccurring, health problems. The term is too long for my liking, but I'm just conservative when it comes to doling out years beyond 4-5 on a contract.

Good for the Sens though, signing their only elite offensive talent for the foreseeable future. (Turris can't be called elite because he hasn't faced top pairs over the course of a full season yet) Shows commitment to the future, and Ryan will be a huge key for them if they're to mount any kind of serious playoff/cup bid in the next 3-4 years.

if they can overspend by 1.25-1.75m on a guy like Ryan, then surely they can splash the extra 400-600k to get a deal done with Methot.

Not surprised Simmer didn't like it, he'd been on Ryan's case since he got here, saying he looked lazy or out of shape even when he was tearing it up early in the year.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
With this signing, the Sens are now at 55.0mil (caphit) for the 2015-16 season - that is higher than our caphit this year. That's without signing Methot, Stone, Zibanejad or Chiasson. Nice to see we are already starting to spend a bit more.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

If Ryan went to free agency, do you really think he would have signed for 5 or 6 million?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Personally, I hate any contracts over 4 years...but....this really was a special case. Ottawa needed a big signing desperately. We need this commitment to the fans, to our core players, and to the city (especially when starting to talk about a new arena in 10+ years).

I am worried about any potential long term health effects and all that as well. But having the contract end at age 34 is a really good thing for us. If the team is contending in a few years, we have the luxury to hang onto him for the whole 8 years, even if he does decline.

If things aren't working out too well, we can start shopping him when he's 31-32 or so, and get a nice return. 2 years left on the deal, and at that age he will probably still be at the plateau (likely a year away from a decline) so his numbers should be good, and goal-scorers are always in demand (hell, if teams still want a broken down Heatley, Ryan should be gold).

We should come out of this in great shape either way.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Personally, I hate any contracts over 4 years...but....this really was a special case. Ottawa needed a big signing desperately. We need this commitment to the fans, to our core players, and to the city (especially when starting to talk about a new arena in 10+ years).

I am worried about any potential long term health effects and all that as well. But having the contract end at age 34 is a really good thing for us. If the team is contending in a few years, we have the luxury to hang onto him for the whole 8 years, even if he does decline.

If things aren't working out too well, we can start shopping him when he's 31-32 or so, and get a nice return. 2 years left on the deal, and at that age he will probably still be at the plateau (likely a year away from a decline) so his numbers should be good, and goal-scorers are always in demand (hell, if teams still want a broken down Heatley, Ryan should be gold).

We should come out of this in great shape either way.

I worry that he gets severely injured in years 1-3, and we have an untraceable contract. What if the hernia is a reoccurring injury, and he never scores more than 20 again. We're saddled with 7.25 a year!

He would've gotten 6, maybe 6.5, on open market. All depending on his contract season, of course.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Good deal, the term is a little long but that is the way things are done with some star players these days. I as a little surprised actually, being n American I would have thought he would have wanted to play down south at some point soon.

'm not as enamoured with making Karlsson captain, he is still quite young & what's the hurry? I hope the commitments involved in being captain doesn't take away from his play on the ice or what the media will do to him, e wouldn't talk to the media last yr for a while. He could have been captain in two yrs after Phillips retired, he would have been a little older & more mature. It makes me wonder why they even bothered to re-sign Phillips, he just doesn't seem to fit now. Initially I thought they re-signed Phillips to have a veteran player who spent his whole career as captain of the Sens. Not making him captain makes you wonder why he is even on the team since he is a 5th or 6th defenceman at best now on this team, it can't be his play, can it? Should be interesting to follow.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
are we still a farm team to the rest of the NHL? I can only think of a 31 year old Spezza that we farmed to another team.

i also expected him to sign closer to 8, and instead it was closer to 7, so wrong there too

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Good deal, the term is a little long but that is the way things are done with some star players these days. I as a little surprised actually, being n American I would have thought he would have wanted to play down south at some point soon.

Little stereotyping there no?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I worry that he gets severely injured in years 1-3, and we have an untraceable contract. What if the hernia is a reoccurring injury, and he never scores more than 20 again. We're saddled with 7.25 a year!

He would've gotten 6, maybe 6.5, on open market. All depending on his contract season, of course.

6 or 6.5 for the top UFA in a growing cap environment? I see you know zilch about economics :laugh:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

6.5 for a top line winger?!

Hahahaha

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Is anyone besides me already having the best day ever? The only thing that could make it better is a Methot signing.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

What if he has a third nipple and the guys in the room find out??! They may never pass him the puck again, or he may die of laughing from purple nurples because he can't fend off the third strike!!!!!

WHAT IFFFFFFFFF!!!!! WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE IF??!!

You're dreaming if you think he would have signed for any less than 7 on the open market, and there would have been competition to sign him at that!

As for the injury stuff, it's just fear mongering as usual. EVERY player in the league has the potential to suffer a catastrophic injury, it's a violent game.

What if you just sat back and enjoyed the NOW, given that it's not your money, you can't see in to the future, . What would that be like?

I think what we have learned here is that some people will fight tooth and nail before they allow themselves to be happy in a moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad