Bobby Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
if we think Cowen Ceci Karlsson Methot and possibly Weir/Boro/Claesson

are the future then we aren't trading for a defensemen isn't that why we are still playing them ie growing pains

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
if we think Cowen Ceci Karlsson Methot and possibly Weir/Boro/Claesson

are the future then we aren't trading for a defensemen isn't that why we are still playing them ie growing pains

I honestly don't know.

Murray: We want to win in next 2 years so we're gonna keep Spezza, Phillips.

Murray: We like our defense and don't want to change it in the future.

The 2nd quote contradicts with the first one because it'll take another 2 years from them to be good... yet we're keeping guys from the old core cause we're competing now.

#LOGIC

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We are just in the worst sport possibly.. We want to contend soon, but we have so many young players that simply are not ready yet.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I can see where people are coming from when they say spezza doesn't fit in the sens system, but they cant say ryan does fit in the same breath.

Can't argue with this, but at least Ryan knows where the defensive zone is and works 200" of the ice.

Watching Ryan on a more regular basis it is obvious why Murray thought Ryan and Spezza would be a good fit.

He had Spezza who plays the game at a slower pace and distributes the puck extremely well.

Seems like a match made in heaven to put Ryan, a 30 goal scorer, that plays the game at a similar speed and has the ability to shoot the puck with Spezza.

Unfortunately Spezza's play has been below par and Ryan ends up being the slower guy that ends up working the walls for puck retrieval on the Turris line.

Not far fetched to suggest both should be traded, specially considering most of the Sens prospects play an up tempo, speed game, which is a bit of a mismatch with JS & BR.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ca't argue with this, but at least Ryan knows where the defensive zone is and works 200" of the ice.

Watching Ryan on a more regular basis it is obvious why Murray thought Ryan and Spezza would be a good fit.

He had Spezza who plays the game at a slower pace and distributes the puck extremely well.

Seems like a match made in heaven to put Ryan, a 30 goal scorer, that plays the game at a similar speed and has the ability to shot the puck with Spezza.

Unfortunately Spezza's play has been below par and Ryan ends up being the slower guy that ends up working the walls for puck retrieval on the Turris line.

Not far fetched to suggest both should be traded, specially considering most of the Sens prospects play an up tempo, speed game, which is a bit of a mismatch with JS & BR.

Agreed, and its extra frustrating now that spezza is getting faster and faster and Mac still refuses to put them together. the way spezza has played lately..could be exactly what ryan needs

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Spezza's and Ryan's offensively ability make up for not being the best fits for the system.

If Murray can make a fair 1 for 1 trade that gets a better fit, than sure.

I wouldn't go trading them just because their play style doesn't match the system. Neither are normally a liability. Ryan has been surprisingly good defensively and Spezza is getting back to not being a liability, like normal.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
according to simmer ...Ryan away from the play has been pretty bad and as a reason why he doesn't play much

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
while greening sucks both with and without the puck a still plays a ton

greening isnt bad defensively and leads the team in hits

i dont like him tbh but i can see why the coach would be more infavour of someone who is more safe and perhaps he is sending a msg to ryan and this is how he wants to do it.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
according to simmer ...Ryan away from the play has been pretty bad and as a reason why he doesn't play much

Simpson is right. Ryan shows some life when he has the puck, but thats about it.

People harp on Spezza being a floater out there, but Ryan takes the cake more nights than not.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Simpson is right. Ryan shows some life when he has the puck, but thats about it.

People harp on Spezza being a floater out there, but Ryan takes the cake more nights than not.

Simpson isn't watching if he said that, or knows less about the game than I thought.

TV doesn't allow you to see what is happening away from the puck usually, go to a game and just watch Ryan when he is on the ice.

Guaranteed you will see Ryan working both ends of the ice, being physical and generally doing everything he can to help out, all without the puck.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

i dont like him tbh but i can see why the coach would be more infavour of someone who is more safe and perhaps he is sending a msg to ryan and this is how he wants to do it.

Kyle Turris +16 (1st on team)
Clarke MacArthur +7 (3rd)
Bobby Ryan +9 (2nd)

vs

Zack Smith -7 (19th)
Chris Neil -9 (21st)
Colin Greening -11 (23rd)

What was that about Greening being better defensively?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Simpson isn't watching if he said that, or knows less about the game than I thought.

TV doesn't allow you to see what is happening away from the puck usually, go to a game and just watch Ryan when he is on the ice.

Guaranteed you will see Ryan working both ends of the ice, being physical and generally doing everything he can to help out, all without the puck.

I've been to plenty of games this season, and I respetfuly disagree. Im not saying that Ryan is out of shape, but he doesn't seem to have the drive to do all that much without the puck. And lately even when he gets it he'll try a little dipsy doodle and give it the ol Spezza poke check when he loses it.

He is what he is, not many can do what he can with the puck which he is why he's going to make the big bucks on his next contract. But his play away from it leaves much to be desired.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa

IMO greening is pretty bad defensively.

Paul Maclean was a minus player in his career, found that funny

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Kyle Turris +16 (1st on team)
Clarke MacArthur +7 (3rd)
Bobby Ryan +9 (2nd)

vs

Zack Smith -7 (19th)
Chris Neil -9 (21st)
Colin Greening -11 (23rd)

What was that about Greening being better defensively?

Greening is in no way better than Ryan.... But ryan has played "well" defensively when with turris and macarthur.. who are both two way guys...hes not really relied upon defensively on that line. Same when playing with zibby and Hoffman...Even Hoffman seemed to be more of a defensive presence. Ryan has not been good in any zone lately.. I understand dialing back his ice, the fact that its getting dialed back in favor of one of the worst lines in hockey is the hard part to handle.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Remember TWO coaches now have taken this approach with Ryan. And these two coaches are nothing like... ryan has basically forced two coaches to treat him in this way, and its not down to a certain coaching personality or style..

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
ok so i quickly did this for fun.

Bobby Ryan (minutes played ---- # of points in those # ofgames )

The good

more than 18 min ---------- 14 points in 17 games

more than 19 min ---------- 10 points in 10 games

more than 20 min ---------- 4 points in 3 games

The Bad

more than 15 min, less than 18 ------ 11 points in 22 games

The Ugly

less than 15 min --------- 5 points in 11 games

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
ok so i quickly did this for fun.

Bobby Ryan (minutes played ---- # of points in those # ofgames )

The good

more than 18 min ---------- 14 points in 17 games

more than 19 min ---------- 10 points in 10 games

more than 20 min ---------- 4 points in 3 games

The Bad

more than 15 min, less than 18 ------ 11 points in 22 games

The Ugly

less than 15 min --------- 5 points in 11 games

Holy crap.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If he isn't playing well then his ice time decreases so those stats aren't really that surprising

Oct 10, 2010
If we're going to make a massive push down the stretch, Ryan needs to play more.

Got to ride our best players.

I would like to see 18-20 minutes from here on out.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If he isn't playing well then his ice time decreases so those stats aren't really that surprising

Remember that game against Boston? I think.

Ryan was quiet 90% of the game then he forced a breakaway with minutes remaining and scored the winner and we won.

You don't stop playing Ryan cause he has a couple bad shifts. He'll never learn to face the adversity and we'll never know Ryan's true style of contribution. If we give him constant big minutes and he doesn't perform then trade him.

If we reduce his minutes every time he looks a bit lost out there then we'll never know what could have been.

This isn't Anaheim, we don't have Perry or Selanne we can lean on and reduce Ryan's minutes with.

With that logic, Greening should never get another shift after the first period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad