Bobby Ryan is on pace for a 30 point season

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Bobby Ryan. Ottawa paid a good price to get him from the Ducks. Then to justify the trade they signed him to a club poor contract. And in the future, till 2022 and 7.25m per....the contract will look even worse.

Every team have bad contracts but Ottawa doesn't want to spend to cap and they have Ryan, and Phanuef for years. Doesn't look good for the Sens when they will need cap space to put them "over the top"

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Something must have happened to him, his skating is at a career worst (or as bad as I've seen in Ottawa). We'll see how this one shakes out, but it's easily 2.5 million over what he should be getting paid, more if he registers a mere 30 points. That's life though, Ottawa rarely signs or acquires bad contracts.

As for Phaneuf, the guy is a solid D-man. He took the worst wrap ever in Toronto, but he's playing like he's pleased to have gotten the hell out of there. He's such a pain in the arse to play against, it's fun to watch. Huge addition to Ottawa and we got him for next to nothing. Cheers on that one!

illpucks

May 26, 2011
WTF happened to this dude???

^ This was the guy taken 2nd to SIDNEY CROSBY. Who is this 30 point abomination of a player?

Was a big ducks fan and enjoyed him and Getz and Perry tearing it up. Now all 3 of them suck compared to how they use to be. Perry is 50 goal man who is a shadow of that. Getzlaf had the best snapshot in the league and has 3 goals (good assists but his shot is way too good for 3 ****ing goals). Ryan on pace for 30 points. All 3 have aged terribly. Cursed maybe.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I like Bobby Ryan. Nice guy. Hope he can turn it around. I vehemently opposed the trade, though.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

^ This was the guy taken 2nd to SIDNEY CROSBY. Who is this 30 point abomination of a player?

Was a big ducks fan and enjoyed him and Getz and Perry tearing it up. Now all 3 of them suck compared to how they use to be. Perry is 50 goal man who is a shadow of that. Getzlaf had the best snapshot in the league and has 3 goals (good assists but his shot is way too good for 3 ****ing goals). Ryan on pace for 30 points. All 3 have aged terribly. Cursed maybe.

[MOD] Getzlaf is having a good year, he and Rakell are driving the play on the 1st line, trying to carry Perry on their backs at the same time. Yeah he has 3 goals but he's been racking up primary assists and his passing is incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Overall, Ryan hasn't had a good year by and standards. But it's pretty funny to think since this thread was created, he's got goals in three straight

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
This was the guy taken 2nd to SIDNEY CROSBY. Who is this 30 point abomination of a player?

You obviously don't watch the Ducks.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Ryan will still finish with around 50 pts imo. He easily has the ability to go PPG for half a season, and he's been looking quite good lately.

He's struggled big time with putting points up, but he creates a lot of chances and drives the net hard. I expected more from him, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him lead us in scoring from now til the end of the year. Bobby is far from done.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ryan will still finish with around 50 pts imo. He easily has the ability to go PPG for half a season, and he's been looking quite good lately.

He's struggled big time with putting points up, but he creates a lot of chances and drives the net hard. I expected more from him, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him lead us in scoring from now til the end of the year. Bobby is far from done.

Ryan played about 16 games (I think) before getting hurt. During that time, I thought he was playing well, but not getting the bounces or having the finish.

After getting hurt though, he was a shell of what he had been; unable to get shots off, and when he did, he often got nothing on them. I don't think he's back to how he was playing before, but he's definitely better than he was right after getting hurt.

The production wasn't there when healthy, but the level of play made me think he'd bounce back. If he plays that way all year, he's likely to be putting up the ~55-60 pts per 82 games Ottawa usually gets from him. Seasons have ups and downs, and he started on a cold streak, that's all. Hope his hand recovers, because it should make a big difference.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Ryan played about 16 games (I think) before getting hurt. During that time, I thought he was playing well, but not getting the bounces or having the finish.

After getting hurt though, he was a shell of what he had been; unable to get shots off, and when he did, he often got nothing on them. I don't think he's back to how he was playing before, but he's definitely better than he was right after getting hurt.

The production wasn't there when healthy, but the level of play made me think he'd bounce back. If he plays that way all year, he's likely to be putting up the ~55-60 pts per 82 games Ottawa usually gets from him. Seasons have ups and downs, and he started on a cold streak, that's all. Hope his hand recovers, because it should make a big difference.

That's fair, I have missed more games these past few weeks than I have since I was in Australia lol. Crazy busy time for me so have only seen on average 2or3/5 games since he went down. Before, though, he looked quite good to me, and his production has picked up a bit lately.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Bobby Ryan skates like he's out of gas all the time.

He'll be carrying the puck into the zone and dump it in and the commentator will be like "Ryan dumps it in and goes for a change because he's simply exhausted." Then the colour guy will chime in like "ya good on Bobby to recognize that he's too tired and good on him for getting the puck in deep so he can get off and let fresh legs go to work."

Meanwhile the entire time they're talking Bobby is trying to catch up to the puck he dumped in.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Lowe is finally vindicated!

“I’ll tell you this, they have not much coming. Bobby Ryan has been a questionable pick at No. 2 (overall in 2005)â€

-Kevin Lowe, July 5, 2008

:naughty:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Bobby Ryan. Ottawa paid a good price to get him from the Ducks. Then to justify the trade they signed him to a club poor contract. And in the future, till 2022 and 7.25m per....the contract will look even worse.

Every team have bad contracts but Ottawa doesn't want to spend to cap and they have Ryan, and Phanuef for years. Doesn't look good for the Sens when they will need cap space to put them "over the top"

Very ignorant post that clearly shows you have zero idea what you're talking about.

Ryan was extended because at the time of his extension, he had scored a pace of 30 goals (or very close to it) for EVERY FULL NHL SEASON HE HAD EVER PLAYED except for one. That is a great track record. When he was extended, he had only one single season in Ottawa. The cap was at a dramatically different place where 7 million was considered first line money as opposed to these days where 1st line UFAers are getting 6M with heavy bonuses gamed in. Look at the kind of contracts given out around the same time as Ryan got his. This was pre Canadian dollar tanking when GMs were under the impression that the cap would continually rise and offset what guys were being paid.

Not to mention, this was prior to Stone and Hoffman breaking out for Ottawa. They were still very much prospects at the time. Neither had played a full NHL season when Ryan extended. Ottawa had Michalek, Chiasson, and MacArthur as their other top 6 wingers with Ryan.

His first season in Ottawa which was the only one he played prior to the extension, he was easily our best offensive forward. There was obviously pressure not to lose him after giving up quite a bit for him, but that doesn't mean that Ottawa only signed him to a terrible contract because they gave something up for him. What GM would do that? That makes no sense. The contract was on the high end, but was perfectly reasonable at the time for a guy who'd be 27 at the start of the contract and had scored on a pace of 30+ goals for 5 of his 6 NHL seasons.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
This is just daydream specuation, but it would be cool to see Vegas end up with three goalies (say, Fleury Howard Raanta) and then move Fleury/Howard to Ottawa for Bobby Ryan.

Sens reluctantly pay Anderson about $4M to be a tndem / backup on the last year of his deal, but it's worth it to not have to pay Bobby Ryan $7M plus to produce 30 points for the next several years.

Vegas gets a "1st liner" which they REALLY need, and the Sens goaltending is set for the next little while with a younger starter not about to retire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad