Bobby Ryan is on pace for a 30 point season

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Signed to an AAV of 7.25 million for another 5 years after this one. What is going on with this guy? Is he starting to turn into a really bad contract? Into Clarkson territory?

Does he ever come back, or is he done?

The real question is if he is done, how does this effect a team like Ottawa who is on a budget, and can't afford to pay a guy like a first liner to produce as a third liner.

Thoughts?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Been playing with a broken finger most of the season. Not time to freak out yet. His production has improved every year since he's joined the Sens.

pucku33

Dec 12, 2013
Been playing with a broken finger most of the season. Not time to freak out yet. His production has improved every year since he's joined the Sens.

Not saying it's right or wrong but there's always an excuse with this guy. Maybe he's more susceptible to injuries, maybe he's had unfortunate luck, or maybe he just can't take responsibility for his poor performance.

abeard14

Sep 28, 2016
Cleveland
definitely concerning when a player like Bobby isn't putting points on the board. I guess we'll have to wait and see how he does starting the new year

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Sens have too many bad contracts for a budget team. It'll probably bite then in the a** in the coming years.

Ryan + Phaneuf is $14.25 million.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Paying 7.25 million a year for 5 years for a guy who, over the course of three and a bit seasons, is averaging 54 points a season? That strikes me as an albatross contract.

Considering that puts him in the 10-20th rank at his position league wide, I'd say no. We must have different definitions of albatross contracts.

For me albatross contract is more like Scott Gomez or David Clarkson.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Paying 7.25 million a year for 5 years for a guy who, over the course of three and a bit seasons, is averaging 54 points a season? That strikes me as an albatross contract.

What about $7 million for a defenseman on pace for less than 30 points even with over 2 minutes of PP time per game? Does that count as an albatross?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
What about $7 million for a defenseman on pace for less than 30 points even with over 2 minutes of PP time per game? Does that count as an albatross?

No, because context. The Sens shed millions worth of non-NHL contracts to receive that. If you factor in all the shed salary when acquiring Phaneuf, and count the actual salary instead of the cap, the Sens are actually paying him ~$4.5Mish per year, which is right in line with your average 2nd pairing veteran. Considering he was acquired for basically nothing, this was a really good deal for the Sens.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
632964-directeur-general-canadien-marc-bergevin.jpg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He was producing chances early in the year but wasn't cashing in. Ever since injuring his hand though he's not been very good. I think they've been freezing his hand to keep him in the lineup, because before getting hit in the hand with a puck, he was averaging over 2 shots a game, and since then, he's gotten 2 shots in 7 games (and if memory serves, those two shots had nothing on them).

His production before the injury was still concerning, but I was willing to attribute it in part to a small sample (16 games). Since then though, there is no questioning that he hasn't been good.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Hes always had his pck handling and skill but it's always seemed like he relied on it too much and floats instead of pursuing the puck and driving to the ugly places. He'll probably still put up his 50pts but i wouldnt want that player on my team especially at that cap hit

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
At least he has the injury as an excuse to being a lazy, disinterested player.

Burke was never right about much but his comments about Ryan were spot on.

Ryan does seem like a great guy though.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Sens have too many bad contracts for a budget team. It'll probably bite then in the a** in the coming years.

Ryan + Phaneuf is $14.25 million.

That's just the thing. Teams that max out cap space wouldn't feel the pain as much, but the Sens are not one of those teams.

KAPOW

has no rispeck
Nov 12, 2008
at home

yeah well, he disappears after all-star break so...there's not too much time left. leave him unprotected next summer and hope.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Prior to this season, he's been putting up ~55 points per 82 games each year with the Sens, with his standard weak hustle/compete level. When a guy really just provides scoring, that's already a bad contract at 7.25 mil/year for this season and 5 more. If his production drops significantly, it's definitely an albatross contract.

With that being said, I'm sure he'll pick it up as the season goes on, but could still end up at around 40-45 points/82 games. That'd be very scary with his huge contract, and weak intangibles.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Good player and leader but I just never got the impression he has fully gelled with his line mates. We tried creating a Zibanejad-Ryan connection for a while and they worked well for a period of time before becoming on and off with their consistency. He's just had some awful luck with injuries as well. He just can't seem to stay fully healthy for a whole season.

He's put up some points but I don't think it's close to what a lot of people were expecting when he first came here. Not to mention he isn't always a noticeable presence out there either.

It's not always fair to just look at the contract when judging a player and their worth but this is a business at the end of the day and it says that Ryan is getting a lot of money and not having the production to match it.

I don't know how many more years he has left on his contract but I don't think Ottawa keeps him around for the full length of it, especially if we decide to bring up some young guys and they start showing something impressive

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

He should go to Mark Stone's doctor, Stone seemed to heel pretty quick after he got that broken arm in the playoffs.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He should go to Mark Stone's doctor, Stone seemed to heel pretty quick after he got that broken arm in the playoffs.

You mean during the entire off-season?

What a pointless comment.

Why Montreal fans are so hung up on the fact that Subban hacked Stone on the wrist for no particular reason when the puck was nowhere nearby, and that this is somehow Stone's fault, boggles the mind.

I notice Patches had a microfracture issue that was clearly bothering him, given his early season production.

Where are all the jokes now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad