Player Discussion Bobby Ryan - Episode IV - A New Hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So if Ryan does his invisible act again the later parts of the season, do you think that Dorion would say enough is enough and try to trade him next offseason?

Don't really know what kind of value he would bring. I think the Sens would definitely have to retain some salary if they want to get anything good back. Problem is that i don't know if they will be able too.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
So if Ryan does his invisible act again the later parts of the season, do you think that Dorion would say enough is enough and try to trade him next offseason?

Don't really know what kind of value he would bring. I think the Sens would definitely have to retain some salary if they want to get anything good back. Problem is that i don't know if they will be able too.

If he disappears again we won't be able to trade him unless we accept a lower return then what kessel got. However ryan and brassard should click and imo Bobby hits at least 25 goals

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Its too bad we didn't have a little more depth on RW to slide up there and let Ryan play down a line or two till he shows signs of snapping out of it...If these disappearing acts lasted a week or two we have the depth, but they can last 6 -8 weeks.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm ready to turn the page on those vanishing acts as the new season is upon us and we have Brassard.

Ryan had to carry Zibanejad, allowing Ryan to not have to worry about his centerman should be a big boost and that might make it easier on him to stay fresh longer.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm ready to turn the page on those vanishing acts as the new season is upon us and we have Brassard.

Ryan had to carry Zibanejad, allowing Ryan to not have to worry about his centerman should be a big boost and that might make it easier on him to stay fresh longer.

I think it will benefit Ryan for sure. Just playing with Brassard and Mac (vets) could help keep him on track.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
They should sell all the #6 Ryans they're getting for 40% of the normal price thereby selling two jerseys for the price of three. Genius!

I'd gladly buy one for 40%, I don't care if the number's not current.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't think the promotion is awful, assuming your Ryan jersey is getting on in age and not in the best of condition (trade in your old beer-soaked nasty jersey you stupidly put in the washing machine too many times for $80 off a new jersey). If I had a Ryan jersey that was in bad condition due to general wear, using it on the ODR, etc...), I might be interested. Of course, I don't know what the percentage of "Sens fans who own officially licenced Ryan jerseys that are in bad condition" is among the general fanbase. We're probably not talking about a huge block of people here.

If you just bought that #6 jersey within the year though, and it still looks fresh, it's a bad deal. A bad, bad deal.

That being said, I also don't see the need to switch your #6 jersey to a #9 jersey, either. I mean, Ryan still plays for the team. You don't need to switch numbers just because he did. It doesn't make your #6 jersey any less authentic or anything.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I wonder if he would waive it to go to Philly for Simmons straight up? But would Philly do it?

the whole philly/going home thing is overplayed imo

also philly would not do it since simmonds is on a amazing deal

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
the whole philly/going home thing is overplayed imo

also philly would not do it since simmonds is on a amazing deal

Yea, I don't think Philly would do it either because I think Simmons is the much better all around player.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
They should sell all the #6 Ryans they're getting for 40% of the normal price thereby selling two jerseys for the price of three. Genius!

I'd gladly buy one for 40%, I don't care if the number's not current.

I hope they donate them to young kids whose parents can't afford jerseys.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I wonder if he would waive it to go to Philly for Simmons straight up? But would Philly do it?

Don't think Philly does it. Simmonds also has a NTC.

The obvious fantasy home town scenario would be Giroux requesting a trade to Ottawa and the teams swapping home town guys Ryan for Giroux. :laugh:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

Yes, its Zibbys fault that Ryan turns into absolute **** later on in the season. Zibby is the reason he can't skate up the ice. The reason he looks he doesn't give a ****, is because he was litteraly carrying Zibanejad. That Zibanejad hat trick was all bobby ryan. You ****ing nailed it.
:laugh::laugh: :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Yes, its Zibbys fault that Ryan turns into absolute **** later on in the season. Zibby is the reason he can't skate up the ice. The reason he looks he doesn't give a ****, is because he was litteraly carrying Zibanejad. That Zibanejad hat trick was all bobby ryan. You ****ing nailed it.
Yeah, but Ryan is a good guy man.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Honestly I couldn't care less if Ryan disappears during the last stretch of the season. As long as he ends up with 20-30 goals and 60 points I'm happy. In fact I'd rather he put up the majority of his points in the first half of the season, since we have far more players that often start slow and play their best hockey in the second half. Definitely not a bad thing to have someone show up through September to December when most of the team is on cruise-control. Wins count for just as many points during that stretch as from January to May.

I think Ryan gets an unfairly bad rap around here. He's produced in the high 50s the past couple seasons as the focal point on his line. He's also dealt with a number of injuries, including a finger injury that greatly limited his ability to shoot the puck. If he's put him beside an equally talented center like Brassard and stays healthy, he could absolutely get back to producing in the 60-70 point range, which is what was expected of him when he was traded to Ottawa.

Will he ever live up to his ridiculous contract? Probably not. But if he gets back to producing like a clear top line forward, it definitely becomes a lot easier to stomach his 7.25M salary. I'm optimistic that he can do it in 2016/17 playing with a better center in Turris/Brassard under a new and better coaching staff.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hasn't Zibanejad played his best hockey while Ryan is performing his magic tricks?

Pretty much. Also: the inverse is true - Ryan was on fire at the beginning of the season while Zibanejad was cold as ice.

At this point, I think we can safely say that neither player gelled together cohesively the way we had originally hoped. Their games did not compliment each other. One was hot while the other was cold, almost as a rule. Ryan was the straw that stirred the drink to start, and Zibanejad took on that role near the end. Despite both players individual successes at times during the season, it was just that - individual success. Neither player elevated the other, and it almost seemed as though both players were successful during their hot streaks to the detriment of the other. They couldn't play together, they were just individually good for stretches of the season that never overlapped.

What's done is done. Zibanejad is a Ranger now, and Brassard will try and fill a role on Ryan's wing that Zib never could settle into. Hopefully the team looks at the lack of cohesive success that Ryan had with Zibanejad and apply it going forward with Brassard/whoever is Ryan's center this year.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
No more excuses for Ryan this season.

He has Turris and a speedy playmaking left handed C in Brassard. Also a high octane offensive coach in Boucher.

This year he must show up consistently throughout season especially second half.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

I'm almost as big a Zbad fan as you, but let's not forget the irony in saying Ryan looks like he doesn't give a ****, because at times Zbad looked like he didn't know in what country he was. Someone could have looked at him and called him Gustav and he probably wouldn't flinch in some of those takes I saw of him during games.

Both were inconsistent, both were not that compatible, and both under-achieved (though Ryan achieved more, but he under-achieved because people expect more from him).

What's done is done, we still got Ryan and here's hoping he hits 25G 60PTS with Brassard and Boucher :yo:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

This is from 2014-2015 but a great example of how Bobby Ryan is criminally underrated on HF, even on here.

The team sucked last year and yes, Zibanejad ended the year on a tear while Ryan did not, but they didn't work well together most of the time. The point is, when they did, it was Ryan doing a lot of the work.

Could that be because Zib is still young and finding his game? Sure, I believe that. Problem is, this team needs to start getting better now, not once Zibanejad has figured things out.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Ryan looks out of shape at times. I've never seen Ryan as someone that doesn't care. He's played through pain how many times?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Many times. He's played with a pulled groin, a broken finger... People forget how playing through those injuries affected his stats.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
No more excuses for Ryan this season.

He has Turris and a speedy playmaking left handed C in Brassard. Also a high octane offensive coach in Boucher.

This year he must show up consistently throughout season especially second half.

Brassard is not a good skater though. He's smart and works hard but definitely not speedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad