Confirmed with Link: Bobby Ryan 1 Year Deal $1 Million

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The used car salesman TDL sales pitch: (slaps the boards) "this guy has fire in his belly & a lot of tread left on his tires, gently used miles", "now available w/50% retention for a late 1st."

2021: as of 1-18-21
Bobby led the league in 5on5 goals
tied for 2nd in SH%
tied for 4th in P/GP

Career Highlights:
Olympic Silver Medalist
4x 30G scorer
5x 20G scorer
6x 50pt seasons
1x 70pt season
1x 60pt season
26 GWG
ppg WJC U20 '06
Vet, true leader
teammates/coaches/fans love the guy

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I like the dude, I don't want him underperforming anywhere.

I'd rather see him go to a salary cap constrained team like the Caps, win the Cup, and come back. Salary cap isn't going up so there won't be a huge bidding war, plus it would increase his trade value at the end of the next contract. Remember, nobody wanted Vanek the second time around.

This is one instance of bringing in an aging vet that I would absolutely be thrilled with sticking around. I don’t hope he plays poorly anywhere, I hope he excels for us. Not that he will fix anything in a big way, but I hope he finds balance and happiness here to go along with success.

He says the right things, in the right ways. You can see in his play that he doesn’t cheat you on effort, the skill is still there, the ability to handle the pace is still there. He’s a much better example of the type of person and player I’d like to surround the locker room with as we bring in young and impressionable players, without being a detriment to their performance on the ice.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This is one instance of bringing in an aging vet that I would absolutely be thrilled with sticking around. I don’t hope he plays poorly anywhere, I hope he excels for us. Not that he will fix anything in a big way, but I hope he finds balance and happiness here to go along with success.

He says the right things, in the right ways. You can see in his play that he doesn’t cheat you on effort, the skill is still there, the ability to handle the pace is still there. He’s a much better example of the type of person and player I’d like to surround the locker room with as we bring in young and impressionable players, without being a detriment to their performance on the ice.
Agreed. I only want him to have a chance at winning the Cup, but I want him back.

My ATF player, Mike Gartner, never won a Cup. Always felt bad for him, still do.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

To add to that, I hope he excels after we trade him (+ win a Cup).
That way no team will think we're selling junk (in future trade scenarios). That's not a reputation we need, even if 1/3 of our roster is junky. Then resign him for a modest 1 or possibly 2yr deal. He could net us a few decent prospects/picks possibly.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It will take more than belly fire to get a 1st round pick for Bobby Ryan!

Obscure?
I'm more open to prospects in return (for any of our future TDL deals really) vs. picks. They're further down the development path, verifiable data & video to study, coaches testimonies etc. Since MLB are already mid-20's, we need that 2nd & 3rd wave asap. Fabbri, Zadina & Ryan + Namestnikov/Brome will have to hold the fort til reinforcements come.

Raymond, Veleno, Ras, Berggren, Soderblom, Niederbach + Seider, Lindstrom, Johansson, McIsaac, Wallinder, Viro. Some won't ever make it, some too far off for now.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
This production is what we needed in order to get something of value at the deadline. He's our only hope for another top 60 pick. Helm, Filppula, Staal...none of them will fetch anything. I foresee a 2nd rounder..maybe a 2nd and a 3rd. A contender will love that he will only cost 500k with 50% retention and will pay for that.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
This production is what we needed in order to get something of value at the deadline. He's our only hope for another top 60 pick. Helm, Filppula, Staal...none of them will fetch anything. I foresee a 2nd rounder..maybe a 2nd and a 3rd. A contender will love that he will only cost 500k with 50% retention and will pay for that.

I'm thinking if he's around 0.7 PPG then that's doable.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Just want to mention that my feelings are still torn on this guy.

On the one hand he reminds me of hated Ducks teams.

On the other hand he seems to be doing good things now.

At least he's not Corey f***ing Perry, I guess. Maybe I'll let the bitterness ebb away.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Whether we trade him for a pick or not, he is providing some secondary scoring behind the Larkin line which is exactly what he was brought in for. Obviously he will slow down but either way he complements the 2nd line some skill and experience. Excellent pick up by Yzerman.

On the topic how many games are after the TDL? I think that plays a role in the decision to flip him or not.

9ish games? Fire him away for a 2nd and/or 3rd. 20ish games? Id probably prefer keeping Ryan over adding a late 2nd and/or 3rd.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan

If we decided to trade Bernier, Nemeth, or even Merril we could potentially nab a 2nd rounder depending on the market

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Just want to mention that my feelings are still torn on this guy.

On the one hand he reminds me of hated Ducks teams.

On the other hand he seems to be doing good things now.

At least he's not Corey f***ing Perry, I guess. Maybe I'll let the bitterness ebb away.

Time does not heal all wounds...

But remembering that the Wings won that series heals some.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
If the Wings aren't mathematically eliminated from the playoffs before the deadline, there's a chance Stevie doesn't trade anyone. That would be hilarious because this whole board would explode, lol.

I’m kind of hoping for that.

Imagine everything coming up Milhouse: We end up 12th to 15th in the league AND we finally get a top 3 pick.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
~1-5% chance of not being mathematically eliminated by TDL.

~1-5% chance (maybe even less) that SY doesn't sell by/@ TDL. He recognizes we're not a Cup team & takes the picks/prospects adding to the stable. Reason: 5-6 playoff gp experience for our kids is good, but 7 picks b/w 2nd-7th is better.

if they all were moved, my guesses on DP return:
Ryan, LGD, Helm, Nemeth, Stecher, Merrill, Djoos, Bernier. ~(2,3,4,2,3,4,5,4)
Flip, Staal, Gagner ~(5,6,7)
Nielsen SOL

< .1% combined (the 2 above scenarios).

If any formula can turn a 2nd-7th into the next Cirelli, Point, Kucherov, Palat etc., it's Hakan & Yzerman.

+ some undrafted gem(s) TJ, Gourde etc.

& in the undrafted/where are they now category: Oliwer Kaski is .6ppg in KHL. Never got an NHL shot w/Canes (deep D).

Last edited:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
If he can keep playing well and he wants to stay and Detroit can re-sign him to a decent 2 year deal then I see no reason to trade him for a measly 2nd round pick. He has chemistry with Zadina and is clearly mentoring him as we saw last night with him talking to Zadina on the bench.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If he can keep playing well and he wants to stay and Detroit can re-sign him to a decent 2 year deal then I see no reason to trade him for a measly 2nd round pick. He has chemistry with Zadina and is clearly mentoring him as we saw last night with him talking to Zadina on the bench.
Screw Zadina, Smith is a superstar!

Bobby f'ing Ryan with the sweet assist today. Go Bobby, teach these kids how to score some goals.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
So every talented player we get were going to trade for magic beans and hope it bears fruit?
Yep, that is the eternal tank mentality that, unfortunately, prevails here. Never mind that the lottery screws us every year and never mind that a lottery is not a "rebuild plan," and never mind that fans need to see a few wins here and there to, well, remain fans.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Yep, that is the eternal tank mentality that, unfortunately, prevails here. Never mind that the lottery screws us every year and never mind that a lottery is not a "rebuild plan," and never mind that fans need to see a few wins here and there to, well, remain fans.

As someone who’s experienced the substance abuse history he has, maybe I’m just biased

I’d rather keep him than trade him for possible defines

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Screw Zadina, Smith is a superstar!

Bobby f'ing Ryan with the sweet assist today. Go Bobby, teach these kids how to score some goals.

I’d much rather keep him and mentor players like Zadina than trade him for a 2nd rd pick that more than likely will be a prospect that doesn’t work out

I feel like I’m in the minority

Reactions: William Rusco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad