Confirmed with Link: Bobby Ryan 1 Year Deal $1 Million

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Zadina is on the 1PP, Mantha goes net-front.

Definitely possible. Tuzzi as 2nd PP net-front.

--------- L_Mantha

R_Ryan --------L_Larkin -------- L_Zadina

-------------R_Hronek

Still hoping they would sign some PP quarterback, because Stecher isn't one. And neither is Nemeth, Staal, DeKeyser,Merrill,Lindström. Only option to 2nd unit is Cholowski. Seider maybe after trade deadline.

DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Stecher
Staal - Merrill
Cholowski

Think they go with 7th defenceman system like Tampa?
Mantha never plays net front, he's got the best slapper on the team.

Not really sure it matters at all who plays on the PP as long as Bylsma is coaching we aren't gonna score. Remember how good the PP looked for a few games when Fabbri showed up, then it went to crap after Bylsma coached Fabbri. He likes a very stationary setup with Mantha and Hronek throwing long range bombs. The scheme only works if the shooter is Ovechkin.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Mantha never plays net front, he's got the best slapper on the team.

Not really sure it matters at all who plays on the PP as long as Bylsma is coaching we aren't gonna score. Remember how good the PP looked for a few games when Fabbri showed up, then it went to crap after Bylsma coached Fabbri. He likes a very stationary setup with Mantha and Hronek throwing long range bombs. The scheme only works if the shooter is Ovechkin.

He has played a lot of net-front in the past, and everybody on here has hated that thing.

At last season he was more on the left-side, but who knows about our coaches?

Bobby Ryan is gonna change many things. New power-play units becoming.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
PP1
Larkin
Mantha
Bert
Zadina
Hronek

PP2
Fabbri
Ryan
Gagner
Flip? (yuck). Brome?
can Timashov play net-front?
Replying to myself & editing:

PP2
forgot Namestnikov
Fabbri (gives them 2 possible C's for faceoffs)...bumper
Ryan..trigger
Gagner
(no other choice) DDK/or Cholo if he's up

Seider/Brome/Veleno/Ras, slight chance of Raymond & Berggren after Euro seasons are up etc.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
From The Athletic:
What was the process that followed?
I’d never been through free agency before. I’ve had six years in Anaheim, seven years in Ottawa. This was a first, I guess, to hear pitches. When you’re a guy who is going to make a million, a million five, the pitches are not going to be long or outstanding but Steve (Yzerman’s) was. It was just an outstanding conversation. It was a fun process, to hear teams kicking tires, thinking about where you might want to live for a year. Detroit just made the most sense for so many different reasons.

I was a little surprised Detroit was the destination. There was a belief you’d end up on a contender. Follow the Corey Perry path. Why Detroit?
I knew that I needed to prove there is still some high-end hockey in me. I didn’t want to go somewhere and immediately be a third- or fourth-line guy. I still think I can play in the top six to nine. Steve made it clear I can earn that there. Whereas other teams I talked to, I don’t know if there were a lot of opportunities to move up. Steve was honest and candid about the fact of, “Listen, if you’re having a very good year and you want to leave at the deadline and I have offers, we can sit down and talk about those things, then we’ll do that.” This opportunity gave me the most chances.

And I’m excited to play with those young guys. They have four or five really really good young forwards there that not only are they young, they’ve been in the league. Dylan Larkin is, what, 25? It feels like he’s been in the league for 10 years. I’m looking forward to maybe having a chance to play with him or whoever it might be in that top six if I work my way in there and prove I can still score and that I have some legs left, some hockey left. Then we’ll reassess. If something happens at the deadline, great, if not, I’ll stay with Detroit. I’m very happy about the situation there.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Don't even get me started with PP lines and Bylsma.

Last year we had f***ing Robby Fabbri running the point on PP1. Who knows what stupid stuff Bylsma will do this year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Don't even get me started with PP lines and Bylsma.

Last year we had f***ing Robby Fabbri running the point on PP1. Who knows what stupid stuff Bylsma will do this year.

Tough to do smart choises, if you don't have any PP quarterback talent.

Our only options are Cholowski and Hronek and Cholo could be again at Griffins.

Hronek isn't 1st unit material also either. He is 2nd PP guy on any better team.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Tough to do smart choises, if you don't have any PP quarterback talent.

Our only options are Cholowski and Hronek and Cholo could be again at Griffins.

Hronek isn't 1st unit material also either. He is 2nd PP guy on any better team.
Disagree, he's the #1 PP guy on every team he is on whether in juniors, AHL, overseas, and internationally and continually succeeds at that spot. The Wings just suck and don't have enough talent on the PP for him to show off his skills. Our PP coach has just been equally as garbage as our team.

Reactions: mantha39 and Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Actually for a guy who is at .5 PPG in his young career, I thought Hronek would have more PP points than he does.

54 pts in 111 games... but only 15 point are from the power play.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Hronek could be a 1st PP player if we had better playmakers in the lineup. He reminds me of Kronner in that regard. He isn't a true PP QB but he could definitely play the point on the PP. Mantha is the closest thing we have to a playmaker on this team, but he is also one of our best shooters so do we really want him hanging onto the puck. This is what has me excited about the Raymond pick as he strikes me as the type that can really do well with controlling the flow on the PP.

Reactions: lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, I'm gonna make a bold prediction and say he paces 0.5 ppg for the Wings. Obviously going to get PP2 time, maybe even PP1.

He likes to shoot, and he's good at it. That's enough for me.
Ryan's making me look like a jackass, I meant 1.5 ppg, lol.

He's certainly making the games more watchable as I predicted, I really hope he keeps this up. We're all rooting for you Bobby!

Reactions: Stony Curtis

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Actually for a guy who is at .5 PPG in his young career, I thought Hronek would have more PP points than he does.

54 pts in 111 games... but only 15 point are from the power play.

He is triggerman not really a PP QB, it is one of the reasons back in the day I liked Cholowski's upside a little more. Unfortunately Cholo didn't put the rest of it together yet and is running out of time. Hronek doesn't necessarily wheel-house pass guys a lot in terms of when you watch him. I like him a lot, I was wrong on his ceiling, but he still strikes me as the heavy shot on PP2 when we are good and more of a two d-man setup.

Now he has some time to learn this still, but I just think our answers for that are going to have to come from somewhere else where it upgrades that.

For instance if you have Seider, Hronek, and Hughes (2021 draft pick maybe) I think you have PP guys. He is a ways off but Tuomisto has some similarities to Hronek in terms of PP with an even bigger hammer of a shot.

Seider actually interests me a lot in terms of PP1 and I think we always thought that wouldn't be him. But his ability to keep pucks in and his short passing is really coming along. Now he needs to get much better shooting, there has to at least be a threat, but I am starting to wonder if he is perfect for what I view as the future flanks of PP1 in Mantha and Raymond. If he can figure out how to tee-up Mantha a little better than Hronek does I think it could get very interesting there.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He is triggerman not really a PP QB, it is one of the reasons back in the day I liked Cholowski's upside a little more. Unfortunately Cholo didn't put the rest of it together yet and is running out of time. Hronek doesn't necessarily wheel-house pass guys a lot in terms of when you watch him. I like him a lot, I was wrong on his ceiling, but he still strikes me as the heavy shot on PP2 when we are good and more of a two d-man setup.

Now he has some time to learn this still, but I just think our answers for that are going to have to come from somewhere else where it upgrades that.

For instance if you have Seider, Hronek, and Hughes (2021 draft pick maybe) I think you have PP guys. He is a ways off but Tuomisto has some similarities to Hronek in terms of PP with an even bigger hammer of a shot.

Seider actually interests me a lot in terms of PP1 and I think we always thought that wouldn't be him. But his ability to keep pucks in and his short passing is really coming along. Now he needs to get much better shooting, there has to at least be a threat, but I am starting to wonder if he is perfect for what I view as the future flanks of PP1 in Mantha and Raymond. If he can figure out how to tee-up Mantha a little better than Hronek does I think it could get very interesting there.

I like Johansson a lot as a PP guy if he keeps on the path he’s on. He does a lot of Kronwallesque movement creeping in from the point, and is a good puck mover.

I’d like to see Hronek distribute better on the power play, he does look to shoot an awful lot. I like his passing ability, seems like a mentality thing with him. Almost wonder if he thinks he is the best option out there to shoot, or something. (To a fault)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I like Johansson a lot as a PP guy if he keeps on the path he’s on. He does a lot of Kronwallesque movement creeping in from the point, and is a good puck mover.

I’d like to see Hronek distribute better on the power play, he does look to shoot an awful lot. I like his passing ability, seems like a mentality thing with him. Almost wonder if he thinks he is the best option out there to shoot, or something. (To a fault)

I think Hronek is being told that. Johansson is another interesting one, if we do go top 10 LD I think he is in a little trouble there, but we will have to see how it plays out.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He can just follow the Vanek blueprint. Play, trade, underperform for someone else, get re-signed for cheap by the Wings again
I like the dude, I don't want him underperforming anywhere.

I'd rather see him go to a salary cap constrained team like the Caps, win the Cup, and come back. Salary cap isn't going up so there won't be a huge bidding war, plus it would increase his trade value at the end of the next contract. Remember, nobody wanted Vanek the second time around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad