Confirmed with Link: Bobby Ryan 1 Year Deal $1 Million

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
My issue is that it's a nothing signing that doesn't help us. We have bottom6 wings in spades. The guy produced at the same rate as Taro Hirose last season and people are throwing around the idea that he'll generate a 2nd rounder in trade as if it's remotely likely that Ryan find that form on this team with so little help around him.

He is going to play on the other half wall on PP1 more than likely given our roster and third line RW. There is a fit there.

He looked good in his sober comeback. A lot more viable than Hirose who should have not been qualified.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Bobby talking live in Ottawa now says rehab and therapy has changed his mindset. He show up out of shape in Ottawa due to his lifestyle.

Right now he is 8-10 pounds lighter than he has ever been in his career and he's in Nashville working on his skating right now.

Talking positive about his conversations with Yzerman says they already discussed possibility of being moved at the TDL already.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
He is going to play on the other half wall on PP1 more than likely given our roster and third line RW. There is a fit there.

He looked good in his sober comeback. A lot more viable than Hirose who should have not been qualified.

I just wonder about what their plans are with Svechnikov. While he does have to earn his opportunity and that this signing doesn't directly impede that, it's still moves like these that make me worry they're just not going to give him much of a chance.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Talking positive about his conversations with Yzerman says they already discussed possibility of being moved at the TDL already.

Hehe... So he's going to buy a house in Michigan I'm assuming?

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Bobby talking live in Ottawa now says rehab and therapy has changed his mindset. He show up out of shape in Ottawa due to his lifestyle.

Right now he is 8-10 pounds lighter than he has ever been in his career and he's in Nashville working on his skating right now.

If Ryan could even gain a half a step in his skating I think it would make a huge difference for him. Im hoping for a rejuvinated Bobby Ryan that can put a few pucks in the net for us.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
According to Ryan, Yzerman offered him the opportunity to play big minutes in Detroit in attempt to prove he can still do it. He also said he has gotten into better shape. Hopefully he does prove it and Detroit gets a good deal out of it.

I don’t think this is a home run signing, I just believe that complaining about a 1 year deal for a mid-30s veteran making such a tiny amount is silly when your team has a million plugs on its roster. Even if Ryan turns out to BE a bust here, he’s still no different from the junk they already have a ton of.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I feel this Ryan-contract is a "lucas raymond -simulator" for this team to have an experiment, HOW TO PLAY WITH A RIGHT HANDNESS.

We haven't had that luxury for a while.

Raymond is gonna change everything, but Ryan gives an experiment of it first.

And we can trade him for picks at the deadline.

It's a win + win + win, without any risk.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm happy Bobby Ryan is in a better place with his life and I'm happy the Wings are giving him an opportunity to get the rest of his career back on track.

He should actually provide some help on the PP, too, for an absolute discount price.

If he does well, he can resume his career on a contender at the deadline.

Reactions: RedMenace

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Has someone really said that Ryan will generate a 2nd round pick at the deadline? Because that's bananas.

I think the point you brought up about the AHL is a good one. The kids may be in Europe and not available for a quick callup.

I honestly am not excited about the Ryan signing, but it feels like low risk. Hopefully he turns it around this season and helps keep our PP from being total dogshit again.

Yep. Though, apparently Yzerman is offering Ryan big minutes. If you throw the guy out there enough, he almost has to put up some points, right?

People were crapping on the idea of adding someone like Galchenyuk because he might have a bad attitude...but he's also 26 and could still be a meaningful contributor. I wasn't a Wennberg fan, but I'd have rather tried him at the $2.25 million he got from Florida.

I'd rather see us roll the dice on someone like that than Bobby Ryan. Would it be any more likely to payoff? Probably not, but I like the reward more with the younger guys.

Also known as the Sam Gagner spot. Or, here's a crazy idea, Tyler Johnson.

I don't think you can get that upset about a basement team signing a meh player for $1 million.

I'm not jumping for joy at the signing but I'm not going to put it on a "list of Yzerman misdeeds" or something.

Hopefully it does make that list because it means there are relatively few things for it.

I think it's a pointless signing, just like the Gator buyout was a pointless buyout from anything other than the money angle (not cap space or anything hockey related, but just straight up protecting Ilitch's pocket book). We have ~$26m in cap space. No one expects Yzerman to put together a Cup winner this summer, but I'm wanting to see something that means we won't be a tire fire. Again.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Believe it or not, I'm guessing Yzerman actually views this as a move to be less of a tire fire than last year.

All the moves so far have been tourniquets to stop the bleeding.

Not fixes. But just stop being the literal worst in several decades.

And do you honestly think this team, right now, is going to be different from this past season by any significant degree? We add a legit goalie, hopefully a real 2C...then, yeah, we'll downgrade the fire from tires to a contained trash bin. As it is? I'm expecting slightly less historically bad.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
And do you honestly think this team, right now, is going to be different from this past season by any significant degree? We add a legit goalie, hopefully a real 2C...then, yeah, we'll downgrade the fire from tires to a contained trash bin. As it is? I'm expecting slightly less historically bad.

Yes, I do think it will be better. Not good, but better. There was a lot of dead weight that's been shed already.

Guys like Ryan and Staal are not ideal options, but they actually help our cause to not be a disaster. I really believe that.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
A second NHL-caliber goalie would be a huge get. Howard was an automatic L last year.

Even if they swung for the fences and signed Hall and Krug, I still think they'd be a borderline playoff team.

I think the plan is to keep the team somewhat competitive so they're not getting blown out regularly, bring in high-character guys, accumulate picks at the deadline, and hope to win the lottery. That's all we can ask for at this point.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yes, I do think it will be better. Not good, but better. There was a lot of dead weight that's been shed already.

Guys like Ryan and Staal are not ideal options, but they actually help our cause to not be a disaster. I really believe that.

I see Staal as a guy who we may as well buy out. I think Merrill is going to be the actual upgrade there.

If we're just looking at last year and saying we expect Ryan to be better than Gator...well, yeah. At the same time...so what? This is still a team I see finishing dead last by a good margin, something that I think is wholly unnecessary.

A second NHL-caliber goalie would be a huge get. Howard was an automatic L last year.

Even if they swung for the fences and signed Hall and Krug, I still think they'd be a borderline playoff team.

I think the plan is to keep the team somewhat competitive so they're not getting blown out regularly, bring in high-character guys, accumulate picks at the deadline, and hope to win the lottery. That's all we can ask for at this point.

Which isn't a philosophy I disagree with entirely- I mainly disagree with the idea that these moves take any real steps towards being competitive from night to night.

really need to see Yzerman bring in a decent goalie.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I see Staal as a guy who we may as well buy out. I think Merrill is going to be the actual upgrade there.

If we're just looking at last year and saying we expect Ryan to be better than Gator...well, yeah. At the same time...so what? This is still a team I see finishing dead last by a good margin, something that I think is wholly unnecessary.

Which isn't a philosophy I disagree with entirely- I mainly disagree with the idea that these moves take any real steps towards being competitive from night to night.

really need to see Yzerman bring in a decent goalie.
Really? Ryan can probably score 20 goals next year if he stays healthy, can be traded for a pick/prospect, and is on a dirt-cheap deal. Plus, he's supposed to be good in the locker room. What other FAs would've brought that?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Really? Ryan can probably score 20 goals next year if he stays healthy, can be traded for a pick/prospect, and is on a dirt-cheap deal. Plus, he's supposed to be good in the locker room. What other FAs would've brought that?

Ryan hasn't scored 20 goals in five years. If we're assuming guys are going to make good on signing here, I'd want to sign someone like Wennberg/Galchenyuk/Athanasiou (hey, if they're making good on it...) with the intention of not dealing them afterwards.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Mantha-Larkin-Zadina
Bertuzzi-Fabbri-Ryan
Gagner-Filppula-Svechnikov
Helm-Glendenning-Erne

Rasmussen.

Hide Nielsen in GR or whatever alternative they allow if AHL season canceled
I am a fan of this thought. I still think they really need a 2C, and right now obviously Johnson is the hot commodity. I also don’t know why we always seem to want Svech on the roster. He has never been healthy or productive. It reminds me of Jensen in Vancouver. Hopefully he figured it out though, I would love for that to not be a complete bust.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
i'm totally fine with this. if it works out, we are more competitive and we get an extra pick at deadline. if it doesn't, then we say goodbye at the end of the year, no harm done. as long as it doesn't impede the development of younger players, all cool.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yep. Though, apparently Yzerman is offering Ryan big minutes. If you throw the guy out there enough, he almost has to put up some points, right?

People were crapping on the idea of adding someone like Galchenyuk because he might have a bad attitude...but he's also 26 and could still be a meaningful contributor. I wasn't a Wennberg fan, but I'd have rather tried him at the $2.25 million he got from Florida.

I'd rather see us roll the dice on someone like that than Bobby Ryan. Would it be any more likely to payoff? Probably not, but I like the reward more with the younger guys.

Also known as the Sam Gagner spot. Or, here's a crazy idea, Tyler Johnson.

Hopefully it does make that list because it means there are relatively few things for it.

I think it's a pointless signing, just like the Gator buyout was a pointless buyout from anything other than the money angle (not cap space or anything hockey related, but just straight up protecting Ilitch's pocket book). We have ~$26m in cap space. No one expects Yzerman to put together a Cup winner this summer, but I'm wanting to see something that means we won't be a tire fire. Again.
I can't find any posts in this thread of someone saying the Wings can flip him for a 2nd rounder.

Maybe Galchenyuk didn't want to play for a bad team? Again, your biggest issues with this deal seem not to be with the actual deal.

And getting rid of Abdelkader is a move towards being less of a tire fire.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Ryan hasn't scored 20 goals in five years. If we're assuming guys are going to make good on signing here, I'd want to sign someone like Wennberg/Galchenyuk/Athanasiou (hey, if they're making good on it...) with the intention of not dealing them afterwards.
These are all guys who clearly have warts, not long-term pieces.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

What are you looking for in terms of offseason moves?

I don't think we are going to get many legitimate players through free agency without overpaying. Considering I don't think we will be able to get enough legitimate players to be competitive, anyway, might as well take a flyer on a cheap guy who may get his game back together and end up as a trade deadline acquisition (who wouldn't want to take a revitalized scorer at a low low price for a playoff run?).

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad