Confirmed with Link: Bobby Ryan 1 Year Deal $1 Million

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Great deal, but honestly when someone listed potential free agents Detroit could sign, Ryan was the one on the list I didn't want.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Really don't get the love for this. Ryan has been slop for four years, and the $1.8m Ottawa is paying him to not be on their roster is an over payment. He's a warm body. Maybe.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Really don't get the love for this. Ryan has been slop for four years, and the $1.8m Ottawa is paying him to not be on their roster is an over payment. He's a warm body. Maybe.
It’s cheap, there isn’t much downside to the deal. The guy overcame a ton and no longer has a big contract to fall back on. You’re looking at a guy on the rebound who just had the worst year of his career playing on a trial contract essentially.
You’re not wrong about his play in the last few years, but you also should consider the roster spots he is taking. He had more goals than basically the entire Red Wings bottom 6 and that’s in just his hat trick comeback game lol. At 1 million, if he can provide 40 points like he did in ‘19, that’s fine and probably worth an asset at the deadline.

Reactions: RedMenace

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It’s cheap, there isn’t much downside to the deal. The guy overcame a ton and no longer has a big contract to fall back on. You’re looking at a guy on the rebound who just had the worst year of his career playing on a trial contract essentially.
You’re not wrong about his play in the last few years, but you also should consider the roster spots he is taking. He had more goals than basically the entire Red Wings bottom 6 and that’s in just his hat trick comeback game lol. At 1 million, if he can provide 40 points like he did in ‘19, that’s fine and probably worth an asset at the deadline.

He produced at roughly the same rate as Taro Hirose last year. How stoked were you about re-signing Hirose?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
We love the deal because it has zero risk or commitment....

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
He produced at roughly the same rate as Taro Hirose last year. How stoked were you about re-signing Hirose?
To be clear, I am not particularly excited about having Bobby Ryan on the Wings. But I also don't think it particularly hurts us.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Love the signing, big Bobby fan.

Not really surprising since he’s a righty. He will get a top 6 look if i has to guess and be on the PP

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I thought Ryan looked better post rehab. He is still an NFL player for me. We are only paying him a million and he is willing to come be a part of this rebuild.

Well, the NFL would mean he wouldn't have to skate which would have to work in his favor. :thumbu:

He's coming over from Ottawa and likely didn't have interest from many other places.

To be clear, I am not particularly excited about having Bobby Ryan on the Wings. But I also don't think it particularly hurts us.

I don't think it hurts us, but I don't see it helping, either. If we wanted a better third line wing, then go get a better second line center to make sure Fabbri can stay out on the wing and force other guys down the lineup. I'm going to stand by the comment that I think the biggest source of love for the deal is the GM making it, and what it likely reflects on the Wings is that Grand Rapids won't really be available to pull players from. The kids we hoped to see up for at least part of the year will be in Europe for the biggest share of next season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So underneath it all, your issue is the "but Kenny would've gotten killed for this signing?"

Aren't we done with that yet?

My issue is that it's a nothing signing that doesn't help us. We have bottom6 wings in spades. The guy produced at the same rate as Taro Hirose last season and people are throwing around the idea that he'll generate a 2nd rounder in trade as if it's remotely likely that Ryan find that form on this team with so little help around him.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
My issue is that it's a nothing signing that doesn't help us. We have bottom6 wings in spades. The guy produced at the same rate as Taro Hirose last season and people are throwing around the idea that he'll generate a 2nd rounder in trade as if it's remotely likely that Ryan find that form on this team with so little help around him.
Has someone really said that Ryan will generate a 2nd round pick at the deadline? Because that's bananas.

I think the point you brought up about the AHL is a good one. The kids may be in Europe and not available for a quick callup.

I honestly am not excited about the Ryan signing, but it feels like low risk. Hopefully he turns it around this season and helps keep our PP from being total dogshit again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad