In Memoriam Bobby Hull has died. (MOD - hockey related talk ONLY)

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
One of hockey best. Among everything, happy he joined the Jets and gave us here in Quebec City a chance to see a great hockey product. RIP Mr Hull.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
This Bobby was amazing also....RIP
1675131885991.png

That is true, on several counts.

Unfortunately, Bobby Hull was shaped in large measure by his relationship with his father. It seemed young Robert received love and encouragement from his mother, derision and "Never good enough" from his volatile father.

IF you read, not that you will, the Golden Jet was physically abusive to his first wife, not much of a father to his kids (including his two time Stanley Cup winning son Brett -- the Golden Brett -- an absurdly prolific scorer in his own right).

Hull expressed some unpopular and unsavory sentiments in his later career and retirement. Look that up if you want.

Finally, Hull helped legitimize the upstart WHL with a then unheard of million plus contract, paving the way for many NHL stars to jump ship and cash in.

Because of Hull, Howe, Derek Sanderson, etc., and a 17 year old Wayne Gretzky, like the NFL & NBA before it, in 1979 the NHL was forced to reckon with and eventually absorb WHL clubs, which still operate today.

The Edmonton Oilers, Hartford Whalers/Carolina Hurricanes, Winnipeg Jets, and Quebec Nordiques/Colorado Avalanche are still in business, not least because of Bobby Hull's star power.

In significant degree a wayward, unhappy soul, though an offensive anomaly & raconteur of the first order, rest in peace, Golden Jett,

Bobby Hull - Wikipedia

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
View attachment 644100

Unfortunately, Bobby Hull was shaped in large measure by his relationship with his father. It seemed young Robert received love and encouragement from his mother, derision and "Never good enough" from his volatile father.

IF you read, not that you will, the Golden Jet was physically abusive to his first wife, not much of a father to his kids (including his two time Stanley Cup winning son Brett -- the Golden Brett -- an absurdly prolific scorer in his own right).

Hull expressed some unpopular and unsavory sentiments in his later career and retirement. Look that up if you want.

Finally, Hull helped legitimize the upstart WHL with a then unheard of million plus contract, paving the way for many NHL stars to jump ship and cash in.

Because of Hull, Howe, Derek Sanderson, etc., and a 17 year old Wayne Gretzky, like the NFL & NBA before it, in 1979 the NHL was forced to reckon with and eventually absorb WHL clubs, which still operate today.

The Edmonton Oilers, Hartford Whalers/Carolina Hurricanes, Winnipeg Jets, and Quebec Nordiques/Colorado Avalanche are still in business, not least because of Bobby Hull's star power.

In significant degree a wayward, unhappy soul, though an offensive anomaly & raconteur of the first order, rest in peace, Golden Jett,

Bobby Hull - Wikipedia

Thanks Gordonhowe. Great post. + the bold part nailed it.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I had never heard about his past questionable incidents before so I had to go look them up

That said I grew up in the same era as Wally.....there wasn't a lot of TV coverage, usually only a Saturday game (remember Peter Puck ?)

Bruins Black Hawks were on a lot, and I grew up watching The Golden Jet, his brother Dennis, Whitey Stapleton, Keith Magnusson, Stan Makita , Tony Esposito, etc. Bobby Orr was the reason I picked the Bruins.

If I remember correctly, he was first player to hit 100 MPH and as mentioned above, with a wooden stick.....wonder what that would be with todays sticks. I remember his blazing speed, coming down the wing. Back then it was common to rip shots from the blue line and he was frequently able to score from there.
A player who changed the game with his speed and slap shot....rest in peace Golden Jet.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I had never heard about his past questionable incidents before so I had to go look them up

That said I grew up in the same era as Wally.....there wasn't a lot of TV coverage, usually only a Saturday game (remember Peter Puck ?)

Bruins Black Hawks were on a lot, and I grew up watching The Golden Jet, his brother Dennis, Whitey Stapleton, Keith Magnusson, Stan Makita , Tony Esposito, etc. Bobby Orr was the reason I picked the Bruins.

If I remember correctly, he was first player to hit 100 MPH and as mentioned above, with a wooden stick.....wonder what that would be with todays sticks. I remember his blazing speed, coming down the wing. Back then it was common to rip shots from the blue line and he was frequently able to score from there.
A player who changed the game with his speed and slap shot....rest in peace Golden Jet.

Who then, is this Peter Puck you speak of?

1675136163114.png

His name is not "Peter Puck," despite what they would telll you. The awful tellers.

The real name is Jerry Korab,

who brought a caring touch, as well as chronic H Type gonorrhea to the NHL.

A pioneer, as it were.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
btw,

Hull was obviously not in Gordie's class. Put it this way, when he was a kid, Bobby Hull ventured to ask for Gordie's autograph.

Stan Mikita, who sadly died without, literally, knowing his name (this despite wearing a helmet when they were not in vogue), was one tough bugger. A Slovak in the shadow of Nazi overlords

Stan Mikita - Wikipedia

He did the rough stuff early on. Thereafter, a two time Lady Being winner.

Go figure.

Awards and accomplishments[ed

it]​

cleardot.gif

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
I met him once in the early 80s, he had only just retired a few years earlier, and he still looked like he could wrist a puck through a refrigerator. It's a fun memory.

It goes without saying what an absolute phenom he was on the ice, and what a joy it was to see him play.

Rest in peace.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
btw,

Hull was obviously not in Gordie's class. Put it this way, when he was a kid, Bobby Hull ventured to ask for Gordie's autograph.

Stan Mikita, who sadly died without, literally, knowing his name (this despite wearing a helmet when they were not in vogue), was one tough bugger. A Slovak in the shadow of Nazi overlords

Stan Mikita - Wikipedia

He did the rough stuff early on. Thereafter, a two time Lady Being winner.

Go figure.

Awards and accomplishments[ed

it]​

cleardot.gif

Many believe Hull to be the 5th greatest player of all-time.

If he's not in Gordie's class, he's awfully close.

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
RIP to a legend. i was fortunate to see him live his last year in the NHL. i was a young kid (11 or 12 years old) but knew all about bobby hull from watching him on tv and reading about him. he was scary to see coming down the wing toward our goalie getting ready to unload that huge shot he had.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Ok, for those that wish to discuss other things related to Hull the Admin opened this thread:

Feel free to use it but please read and follow the Admin instructions.

(at your own risk)

Thanks

Reactions: ksp1957

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
1. Orr
2. Howe
3. Lemieux
4. Gretzky
5. Hull

Works for me.
Me too, though I switch Gretzky and Howe, but those are the five. I only saw bits and pieces of Hull, starting in his WHA years. However, I don't think anyone has ever matched his combo of great speed and awesome strength. He was only a little above average at stickhandling and passing ,but when you can push the puck down the wing, get to it faster than anyone else, outmuscle everyone else, and shoot it harder than anyone else, you win the battle. Richer reminded me of him some as did a peak Neely as a slower version.

Last edited:

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
View attachment 644100

Bobby Hull - Wikipedia

Great info

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Another example of the NHL shooting it self in the foot , he should have been allowed to play , Wirtz and other greedy owners did not want to give the new league any credibility ...........Oh I forgot mention the ever corrupt Alan Eagleson..........
Dollar Bill Wirtz,

The incompetent, stupid, cupidinous and truly awful Norris family that owned the Red Wings when I was a kid and drove the club into the ground.

Harold Ballard,

The Eagle, a candidate for Worst Shameless Scumbag in All of Professional Sport, Which Is Saying Something,

Russ Conway deserves a knighthood.

Jeremy Jacobs, of whom the less said, the better.

:madfire:

• Haha
Reactions: ksp1957

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad