In Memoriam Bobby Hull has died. (MOD - hockey related talk ONLY)

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I only have memories of him from his WHA days when he was putting up stupid numbers, but have seen plenty of highlights from his NHL years. Good grief was that man a beast of a player. Just incredible. Regardless of team it sucks to see another all-time legend leave us. RIP.

Reactions: TCB

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I never met him but a co-worker did and brought me back this a few years ago.
RIP Bobby, he is a legend.

1675099319637.jpeg

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I met Bobby Hull when I was 4/5 years old. He was doing a promotion at my mom's work. I sat in his lap while he signed autographs for everyone. Then he took pictures with me and my entire family after everyone left and chatted with us for like an hour or two.

This wasn't taken yesterday. I still have the autographs he gave me.

photo1675103702.jpeg

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
RIP

and we will do as the Admin on the Main Board ruled - stick strictly to hockey.

Thanks
Will never forget that, in the 1970 SCFs, Hull was spotted at the Garden working his way up to the broadcast "booth" to be interviewed. By the time he got there, the entire Garden was standing and cheering. Similar to the standing Os that Reggie Jackson got in his last game at Fenway.

Even if you are an opponent, Boston sports fans will show you the respect.

Reactions: rfournier103

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Will never forget that, in the 1970 SCFs, Hull was spotted at the Garden working his way up to the broadcast "booth" to be interviewed. By the time he got there, the entire Garden was standing and cheering. Similar to the standing Os that Reggie Jackson got in his last game at Fenway.

Even if you are an opponent, Boston sports fans will show you the respect.
I remember that they cheered him all the way to the booth and it lasted quite some time and he really was touched by it . He was one of favorite players a joy to watch ...........

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
He was not high in my conscience in my formative years as he was in the WHA. My dad used to talk about him, but it wasn't the same as seeing the other greats from that era on TV. I certainly came to appreciate his hockey prowess later in life.

RIP.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
He was a helluva player. Scary shot 100 mph with wood. Goalies without masks.
I saw him as a kid Bruins - Hawks and briefly as a Whaler.

I can remember my folks going pre Big Bad Bruins when Bs were terrible. You could walk in any night and get cheap seats. They would go just to see guys like Howe and Hull when they visited.

Reactions: rfournier103

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
You could find Bobby still signing autographs in North Station an hour after the game

When the Blackhawks retired his number in the '80s there was still bad blood between him and the Wirtz family. The BRUINS gave him a nicer gift. It was very low-key.

Today, when a honored member of a hockey team has his number retired it is full blown extravaganza. That was not the case in 1983 when the Blackhawks hoisted #9 to the rafters at Chicago Stadium.

This video only exists because somebody at WSBK-TV Boston recorded the raw video coming from Chicago and saved it. Obviously, nobody in Chicago saw it and viewers in Boston only saw what is in part 2 when announcers Fred Cusick and John Pierson went live.

This is simply fascinating to watch.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
You could find Bobby still signing autographs in North Station an hour after the game

When the Blackhawks retired his number in the '80s there was still bad blood between him and the Wirtz family. The BRUINS gave him a nicer gift. It was very low-key.

Today, when a honored member of a hockey team has his number retired it is full blown extravaganza. That was not the case in 1983 when the Blackhawks hoisted #9 to the rafters at Chicago Stadium.

This video only exists because somebody at WSBK-TV Boston recorded the raw video coming from Chicago and saved it. Obviously, nobody in Chicago saw it and viewers in Boston only saw what is in part 2 when announcers Fred Cusick and John Pierson went live.

This is simply fascinating to watch.

Starting D pair of MoC & Milbury!

Reactions: Fenway

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Father would get me a single game ticket when I was a kid so I could sit behind net first & third period to watch Bobby Hull

Had a poster on the wall from old Coleman’s ??? sporting Goods - the uniform, the shot, the name itself ‘Bobby Hull’ just seemed so cool

Legend
RIP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad