Podcast (Audio) Bobby Clarke says Hextall didn't listen to scouts, Makar should have been picked

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’m old enough to remember that he did a pretty good job over 20 years ago in a completely different system where it was easy to cover up mistakes by throwing money at a problem and he basically had an unlimited supply of money behind him and the guy supplying the money absolutely adored him.

Times change, even if us old guys don’t like to admit it often.

The guy hightailed it as soon as the job got harder with a salary cap.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I don't even buy that anymore. I believe that Hextall had A LOT of issues, but this Alumni nonsense now just smacks of egomaniacs like Clarke having their feelings hurt because they were no longer "advisors," which THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ANYWAY.

I think it's clear that Hextall took his job to the extreme. There's been mention that Hextall was adamant about player's food choices. I get that the GM wants people to eat healthy and so forth but I can't see that mentality not being toxic.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think it's clear that Hextall took his job to the extreme. There's been mention that Hextall was adamant about player's food choices. I get that the GM wants people to eat healthy and so forth but I can't see that mentality not being toxic.

You hire a good nutritionist with people skills and get out of the way.
When you start micromanaging the little things, I get a mental image of the missing strawberries.

Diaper Mask Bandits

Jan 15, 2022
When you have to throw players like VdV and Manning out there b/c your GM is saving cap room and draft picks instead of getting you depth players, yes.

Hello hfboard

apologies here, long-term lurker... like 6 years.

This comment above is absolutely crazy.

For 6 years, I've been reading statements by Deadhead claiming that end of roster players aren't that important and not worth complaining about. Then, he makes this statement... wow.

Diaper Mask Bandits

Jan 15, 2022
A good number of GMs did a better job. A much better job. He crippled himself with his own ego and that's pretty unforgiveable and insufferable.

And McCrimmon. Breaking up the best D pair in the league over ego was a major part of that atrophy.

And the tool has the audacity to accuse Hextall of putting himself before the team.

yes, the McCrimmon trade started the downfall.
And Clarke made it clear the move was caused by a contract dispute.

Clarke has been a cancer for 30 plus years.

and didn't he trade Yushevich because of the same reason?
He could have been a key player from 96-000 for that team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hello hfboard

apologies here, long-term lurker... like 6 years.

This comment above is absolutely crazy.

For 6 years, I've been reading statements by Deadhead claiming that end of roster players aren't that important and not worth complaining about. Then, he makes this statement... wow.

People whined for years about VdV, but then suggested we should play Luby, Leier, etc.
Either you have the depth to go 12-13 deep with real players or there's no point whining about which scrub you play.
Ironically, if Brassard, Allison and Laczynski were healthy, we might actually have a 4th line that could play.
Instead, we've been stuck with a revolving cast of scrubs, I just think we should go with the younger scrubs.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Embarrassing the level of hate for Clarke in here. He wasn't the best, but he put a competitive team on the ice right up to cap era. Guessing many fans here weren't old enough to see that though.

Oh wow! Icing a competitive team while having a top 5 or top 3 payroll every year! what an accomplishment. I can't believe that soet of managing genius didn't carry over to the cap world.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Bull. Every team has two or three good players on their roster (ok, maybe not Arizona right now!). The first line was a top group, though not as dominant as say the "perfection line."
But after that, the talent on those teams was putrid, all I heard for four years was how bad [insert name] was, now I'm told those were playoff teams?

2017-18:
G - Couts - Voracek - TK, then Simmons, Raffl, next tier was Filppula, Patrick, Laughton, then Weise, Weal, Lehtera, Leier, Lindblom for 23g
Simmonds was already a 5x5 liability, Raffl a bottom six guy, Filppula, nuff said, Laughton was still learning how to play.
Provorov - Ghost - AMac - Manning - Hagg - Gudas - Sanheim
Sanheim was a much better player when he returned from the AHL, but still got bitch slapped in the playoffs. Same with Lindblom.
Elliott/Neuvirth

Do you not realize how many teams make the playoffs? An average roster should do it, and you laid out a roster that, due to sheer force of talent up top, should be a playoff team.

Answer my question. If having VDV and Manning is bad management, then what is having two players worse than them?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
When you start micromanaging the little things, I get a mental image of the missing strawberries.

Agreed.

You also need a good nutritionist who knows how to introduce people to high end tasting food that's healthy. There's a huge perception in the US that no grease = gross. I think a lot of these athletes want to perform but sometimes they want to be a normal person and inhale on chicken wings and pizza.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Agreed.

You also need a good nutritionist who knows how to introduce people to high end tasting food that's healthy. There's a huge perception in the US that no grease = gross. I think a lot of these athletes want to perform but sometimes they want to be a normal person and inhale on chicken wings and pizza.

Dietician*

Nutritionist is the unprotected term mainly used by frauds

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Nitpicker. :D

Im gonna assume he's a dietician. The engineering field is a bit the same in which stay at home parents have even slung around the term "domestic engineer". I've got quite a bit of an axe to grind with those people.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Every GM has rough moments. Clarke had his with Lindros and his family and then the McCrimmon move. However there were other things that he did that were top shelf. How much of what he did as a GM and how much of it was Ed, is something that we'll never know. What we do know is that he put a decent product out on the ice. Can anyone say that the years that he was in charge, that the Flyers were boring like they are today?
Hextall was given a pretty nice opportunity here which he badly mismanaged. A franchise just can not afford to blow the #2 selection in the draft. He did not do his obligation to fine comb Patrick's health conditions. More than anything else, that mistake has put the Flyers where they are today. Throw in a few other gaffes such as not exploiting the Leaf's situation with Nylander when he was holding out; signing Weise, etc. and there was more to Hextall's failure than bumping heads with the alumni.
Fletcher has to be on a death watch unless this club turns it around over the next three months. We don't know if he chose AV and under what terms that rascal agreed to come here. My suspicion is that Vigneault had a lot of control put into his contract. Fletcher may or may not have been the one that brought in Thompson, Yandle, Brassard, et al. but he does shave the power to dump them. How he handles that along with the Ristolainen and Giroux situations will determine his future.

Bro pls, i know you know better. Dont make excuses for Chucky! He is bad and and he will be bad forever! Hextall has done a lot wrong in his time. We all know that. But Fletcher is f***ing the whole franchise! And the players continue to play after AV is gone! So i see NO excuses for Fletcher!

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
^^ deady you rly think things are that easy? But everything Fletcher is doing wrong is totaly complicated and not his fault! I love your way to see the world! I bet you can solve the conflict in afganistan or africa in a minute! GG YOU

slapshot101

Dec 5, 2021
Yeah and we all know Hextall sucked... but Clarke dragging him like this is only being done to distract from the shitty job the current management team is doing.

Hextall got poor results for moves he made as Flyers GM. So why is he now GM for Penguins ?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
oh-boy-here-we-go-again.gif

slapshot101

Dec 5, 2021
and the Penguins are a winning orginaztion follwed thru to win cup multiple times while Flyers have come so close many times never got over the hump , Pelle Lindberg dui death started the bad luck near misse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad