Podcast (Audio) Bobby Clarke says Hextall didn't listen to scouts, Makar should have been picked

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

On the Cam and Strick podcast, Bobby Clarke chats about how Hextall pretty much went rogue and drafted Patrick over Makar against the advice of the scouting staff. Made other 1st round mistakes and passed on the opportunity to trade for O'Reilly.

Yeah and we all know Hextall sucked... but Clarke dragging him like this is only being done to distract from the shitty job the current management team is doing.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Live look at Bob Clarke:

4509081737_ea57955700_b.jpg

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
If anyone can find someone, anyone in the Patrick pick thread saying we should have taken Makar, I'd like to see it.
There were some people saying that Makar or Heiskanen would be possible picks, and Alex A liked Petterson too. Most of us were fine with Hischier or Patrick, depending on which one NJ took.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
News flash: Bob Clarke was at the draft table. He knows the scouts.

It's just embarrassing at this point that we've still got people claiming that the rumors of Hextall vetoing his scouts to take Patrick are a lie.

Reactions: mize370

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
So I take it then that Chuck relies very heavily on the likes of “Clarkie” and “Homer”?

not sure this is something he should be bragging about.

I actually have more respect for Hextall for ignoring those dinosaurs on personnel decisions. It must be hell trying to get anything done in this organization when the good old boys are in your ear constantly.

pooch

May 30, 2017
If anyone can find someone, anyone in the Patrick pick thread saying we should have taken Makar, I'd like to see it.

This is not about who the fans wanted, it's about who the GM took vs what his scouts were advising.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Chuck: "Ooooooooh Daddy Clarkie-san, can I pwetty pwease trade a mountain of assets away to get Wistolainen? UwU"

Clarke: "Yes, my sad pathetic Crony-son. Yes, do that, as it is what I would do in 2001. And get rid of some of this revolting skill in the process. The lack of grinding irritates me."

**Fast Forward to Today**

Clarke: "HOW COULD HEXTALL DO THIS TO US"

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I am sure he will take the high road, no reason not to, but it isn't as if Hextall was banished to the shadow realm. He is actively the GM of the Penguins and will surely be speaking some point soon. Would be nice to hear him weigh in, mostly because I expect him to make the Flyers look even worse.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The main thing that's become clear is that Hextall wasn't fired because of bad coaching decisions or bad roster building decisions, he was fired because he made certain egomaniacal alumni who prefer to feel like they're in power feel like they weren't in power. Clarke got butthurt. And now we are here. It was always kind of alarming that was ever leaked as a reason, and now I see no reason to believe it wasn't the reason.

He wasn't fired on merit. The team isn't run on merit, so that makes sense.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
The main thing that's become clear is that Hextall wasn't fired because of bad coaching decisions or bad roster building decision, he was fired because he made certain egomaniacal alumni who prefer to feel like they're in power feel like they weren't in power. Clarke got butthurt. And now we are here. It was always kind of alarming that was ever leaked as a reason, and now I see no reason to believe it wasn't the reason.

I've bolded the true part of your post

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The main thing that's become clear is that Hextall wasn't fired because of bad coaching decisions or bad roster building decisions, he was fired because he made certain egomaniacal alumni who prefer to feel like they're in power feel like they weren't in power. Clarke got butthurt. And now we are here. It was always kind of alarming that was ever leaked as a reason, and now I see no reason to believe it wasn't the reason.

I want to argue all of this post, theres really no evidence that proves this all isnt undeniably true. I'm glad i started following soccer/football much more closely than continuing to dedicate time to this franchise.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I've bolded the true part of your post

It's insane because by then he did deserve to be fired on merit based on annual awful roster decisions and a refusual to fix the coaching problem.

And they managed to fire him for something vastly more stupid. Hakstol ended up getting himself fired, but the worrying thing is that perhaps they thought his roster and development decisions were f***ing awesome.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
It's insane because by then he did deserve to be fired on merit based on annual awful roster decisions and a refusual to fix the coaching problem.

And they managed to fire him for something vastly more stupid. Hakstol ended up getting himself fired, but the worrying thing is that perhaps they thought his roster and development decisions were f***ing awesome.
yeah who the f*** knows man

There are those teams around the league that get laughed at constantly and you just know they aren't going to be successful because behind every transaction is a group of idiots that are either crying poor or have CTE.

Flyers are one of those teams without a doubt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad