Podcast (Audio) Bobby Clarke says Hextall didn't listen to scouts, Makar should have been picked

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If only he had the opportunity to study under Fletcher for a few years, he could have learned to scour the scrap heap for the Thompson’s, Grant’s, Brown’s, and McEwan’s of the world.

Then again, since when do 4th liners play enough to have any impact on the game?

What do you think you pick up in September when you have a half dozen injuries?
Thompson would have lost out to a healthy Laczynski, he got to play last spring but couldn't stay healthy then or over the summer.
Brown had nothing to do with NAK getting waived, Brown can play center, NAK is a RW only (didn't look good on the left) and doesn't PK either.
They kept MacEnew over NAK, probably b/c they were tired of NAK's bad penalties and inconsistent play.

It comes down to an unexpected string of injuries and a LHV squad with few NHL ready players, and those that were, are already up.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Thompson would have lost out to a healthy Laczynski, he got to play last spring but couldn't stay healthy then or over the summer.
Brown had nothing to do with NAK getting waived, Brown can play center, NAK is a RW only (didn't look good on the left) and doesn't PK either.
They kept MacEnew over NAK, probably b/c they were tired of NAK's bad penalties and inconsistent play.

It comes down to an unexpected string of injuries and a LHV squad with few NHL ready players, and those that were, are already up.

They kept MacEwen over NAK because they're shit at player evaluation.

Thompson was never, ever losing a roster spot to a prospect. You know nothing about how this team works. He was a roster lock at center the second he was signed. The only reason he isn't playing right now along with Yandle, is his injury. Remember how you scoffed at the idea that Yandle was a roster lock? We were right about that. We are right about Thompson, too.

He was signed to be a defensive solution, not a press box fixture.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
When it comes to Clarke, this GIF pretty much tells the story.

die-a-hero-harvey-dent.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I feel like even in retrospect Clarke the GM/human being got a way with a decent amount of questionable shit because of his stature as a player.

He took a lot of heat while GM for Lindros, Neilson, 2007, etc. but it was quickly forgotten after he resigned. By the 2011 Winter Classic he was back to being treated like royalty by every corner of the fanbase. Right now he's undoing all of that good will that he was lucky to still have.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He took a lot of heat while GM for Lindros, Neilson, 2007, etc. but it was quickly forgotten after he resigned. By the 2011 Winter Classic he was back to being treated like royalty by every corner of the fanbase. Right now he's undoing all of that good will that he was lucky to still have.

The local media spared with him over it but I felt like he was never really in jeopardy of losing his job or anything over it.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The local media spared with him over it but I felt like he was never really in jeopardy of losing his job or anything over it.

I think that's because they were still competitive every year due to their buying power. Had they sucked i'm guessing the heat would have been turned up. Once they sucked in 06-07, thats what happened.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

No he’s not.

If anything, he’s gaining even more popularity in the eyes of the majority of the fanbase because they hate Hextalls guts more than anyone and Clarke shitting on Hextall makes him a hero to them.

It’s only like 1% of the fanbase that realizes how full of shit he is, why what he’s saying makes no sense, and how transparently he’s defending his boy Chuck. And even that might be generous.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017

I must have missed the part where Thompson and Grant were picked up in September, not traded for at the TDL and signed as an off season free agent in Thompson’s case. Also phenomenal player evaluation to think Brown and MacEwan are better players than NAK

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
MacEwen/NAK, I could give two figs, if either was on the team next year I'd consider it a failure of Hextall's draft picks (Allison, Laczynski, Frost, JOB, Ratcliffe, Sushko, Bunnaman, Lycksell) to fill out the bottom six. With Brink, Foerster and Wisdom coming next year, there shouldn't be room.

I thought NAK had turned the corner in 2019-20, but he regressed last year and had a horrid start this year, you could be patient with a young player, but at 25 he was still taking stupid penalties.

Thompson and Grant were added b/c Frost and Bunnaman weren't ready, and watching Frost this year, a stronger, smarter version and he's still mediocre, I don't blame them for trying to upgrade - just didn't pick the right guys.

I still think Laczynski would have beat out Thompson, he's got good size, is smart, skilled and defensively responsible - but he couldn't stay healthy - which is kinda weird b/c he didn't have injury issues in college. He played 138 college games, then 14 AHL and 5 NHL games before he got hurt last spring. We're not talking a 20 year old CHL star with limited pro experience. Laczynski brought the same package as Thompson, but with a lot more talent.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
No he’s not.

If anything, he’s gaining even more popularity in the eyes of the majority of the fanbase because they hate Hextalls guts more than anyone and Clarke shitting on Hextall makes him a hero to them.

It’s only like 1% of the fanbase that realizes how full of shit he is, why what he’s saying makes no sense, and how transparently he’s defending his boy Chuck. And even that might be generous.
Being critical of the Patrick pick is the lowest of low hanging fruit. Its equal to a movie critic being critical of Tara Ried in sharknado 4. It you want to be critical, blame 35 years of patch work gm jobs that it was more important to lose round 1 in playoffs and patch it up over building up a great run. But Clarke and Homer then would have to look in the mirror.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I love me a good vortex of logic and this topic is one of them for fascist clique hivers

"GMs dont make mistakes, not a single one picked that player from waivers"... but..."Damn this GM f***ed us for years though"
It’s crazy how bad they are at lying, considering how often they do it.

Reactions: kudymen

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Embarrassing the level of hate for Clarke in here. He wasn't the best, but he put a competitive team on the ice right up to cap era. Guessing many fans here weren't old enough to see that though.

Reactions: renberg

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Embarrassing the level of hate for Clarke in here. He wasn't the best, but he put a competitive team on the ice right up to cap era. Guessing many fans here weren't old enough to see that though.
The only thing that’s embarrassing here is a bitter old man lashing out at someone because he has insecurities.

He’s done it to himself.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
I’m old enough to remember that he did a pretty good job over 20 years ago in a completely different system where it was easy to cover up mistakes by throwing money at a problem and he basically had an unlimited supply of money behind him and the guy supplying the money absolutely adored him.

Times change, even if us old guys don’t like to admit it often.

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I saw it from 93. He had unlimited funds and no cap, but never got a stud goalie and managed the Lindros situation horribly.

He also looks like a catcher’s mitt now.
I saw it from about 85. After the 86-87 squad which was my favorite...the wheels started to come off and Clarke let the team atrophy and it ushered in 5 years of no playoffs. His Poulin and Propp trades were another example of his stupidity. The guy was not a good GM...period!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As with most GM's, Clarke's results were a mixed bag. His biggest issues were his mouth and his ego. That being said, most of my fondest memories as a Flyers fan were with Clarke at the helm and if it just ended in 2006, I wouldn't have any gripe with him.

The fact that he is still involved a lot more than we even realized, in 2022 while he is in his 70's, is a f***ing joke. I almost wonder if he saw Snider's death as an opportunity to weasel his way back into the decision-making room because I didn't hear any rumblings of his involvement between his resignation in 2006 and 2016 when Snider died.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad