Bob McKenzie's top tier group of 2011 NHL draft prospects

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Have you see Fowler play in his own end?

Yeeech.

I haven't seen too many players Fowler's age step into the NHL and dominate the defensive side of the puck. He's weak physically and completely overmatched in many one-on-one battles. That can and will be improved as he gets older and stronger. His puck moving ability, skating, and mind for the game are all elite, and can't be taught.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
How is Fowler small? According to hockeydb he's 6'2" and 199 lbs, which looks about right on the ice. Murphy is listed at 5'11" and 176 lbs on hockeydb, a lot smaller. Fowler is also a significantly better skater despite being bigger. I like Murphy and think he should definitely go top 10, but I don't think Fowler is the best comparison.

significantly better skater? murphy was the declared the best skater in his ohl conference. i'll have to disagree with you on this one.

GM17*

How is Fowler small? According to hockeydb he's 6'2" and 199 lbs, which looks about right on the ice. Murphy is listed at 5'11" and 176 lbs on hockeydb, a lot smaller. Fowler is also a significantly better skater despite being bigger. I like Murphy and think he should definitely go top 10, but I don't think Fowler is the best comparison.

he's more of a rafalski (5'10" 190lbs), smooth skater who has a lot of offensive upside and is "okay" back in his own end.

arsmaster*

I haven't seen too many players Fowler's age step into the NHL and dominate the defensive side of the puck. He's weak physically and completely overmatched in many one-on-one battles. That can and will be improved as he gets older and stronger. His puck moving ability, skating, and mind for the game are all elite, and can't be taught.

I'll have to agree with you on this subject, I think Fowler will be an excellent two-way #1 defensman in his prime.

He has the size, skating, puck skills, but most of all hockey sense....Last years WJC were a good example, where he played against top lines...only had ~2 points (or so) and was plus close to 10.

I think the only think Ryan Murphy has on Cam Fowler is speed and shot, other than that its all Cam for me.

arsmaster*

he's more of a rafalski (5'10" 190lbs), smooth skater who has a lot of offensive upside and is "okay" back in his own end.

Who is Murphy?

He is more like Dan Boyle or even a Paul Coffey-esque player, than Rafalski. He is more physical tools (skating/shot) than a heads-up cerebral defensman.

Either way, the comparisons should be flattering.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I am somewhat shocked that NHL GMs are going to make the same mistake twice with a small, ridiculously talented offensive PMD the way they did with Fowler and now are doing with Murphy. Both players who fell inexplicably despite their game not changing a whole lot in their draft season. The team that lands Murphy is going to be pleasantly surprised at his offensive maturity once he arrives. He could play on an NHL powerplay next season.

Totally agree, Murphy most likely if not is the best player on Kitchener, although i would still take Landeskog over him simply because the man does everything.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
I'll have to agree with you on this subject, I think Fowler will be an excellent two-way #1 defensman in his prime.

He has the size, skating, puck skills, but most of all hockey sense....Last years WJC were a good example, where he played against top lines...only had ~2 points (or so) and was plus close to 10.

FWIW Fowler and Jake Gardiner were Dean Blais' 3-4 D, because John Carlson was carrying the load. Not an indictment, but its also worth noting that Cundari/Cantin were paired up against Brandon's top line (schenn, glennie, stone?) in the Mem Cup Final, the biggest game in the CHL last year.
It wasn't til Windsor had Brandon blown out that Fowler was matched up against Schenn and Co.

Maybe its just coincidence, and I'm an armchair idiot, but to me Fowler seems to fit better in a secondary pairing with some top PP unit time.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
I think it's kind of similar to what happened to Brandon Gormley last season. Like Gormley, Couturier basically can do everything on the ice and play in all situations, but doesn't really have that "wow" factor or element to his game that you think might lead him to be an excellent NHLer.

I think people look at the Jordan Staal draft and are starting to think guys like Toews and Backstrom are much better NHLers, therefore teams in the top 3-4 may want to try to take a homerun swing on a guy that has potential to be an elite NHLer, instead of a safer pick.

That being said, Couturier could be a steal if he progresses well and fills out, because he has a very big frame and solid offensive skills to go with his size.

I believe you meant the Jonathon Toews draft, right?

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Skill and hockey IQ wise no player in the draft is better than Murphy, even RNH. If Murphy was 6'1 190 lbs, would he be in first overall contention? He definitely would be. Does that make him better? Yes i think it does. Is he riskier? Sure but the way you make it out to be he's not as talented. If Hamilton was 5'11 Murphy would be above him in 100% of the rankings.

Teams who skip out on him are going to regret it guarenteed.

^ Agree 100%

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Murphy and Fowler are completely diffrent offensive defensemen however. Fowlers obvious got that size advantage but Murphy is ahead of him defensively during draft years (Even though Fowler is older) and then theres obvious the other factors but I won't focus on that.

Fowler fell probably because of the defensive play but Murphy shouldn't fall because of that. Niether should (have) fall(ed). I used to be in the group that suggested Fowler fell for a reason though.

Fowler didn't fall because of defensive play, he was actually considered to be quite positionally sound as a defenseman going into the draft. He fell because of a lack of physicality and a poor shot.

He's pretty poor defensively in the NHL right now, but as he gets stronger and gains more experience, he'll be fine. No one will confuse him with, say, Adam Foote in his prime, but Fowler won't be a liability on the blueline.

Akonite

Mar 9, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
With Schremp, I remember their being concern over his foot speed and work ethic. I've heard similar criticisms regarding Coutourier. I'm not saying that he will drop to the 20's, but I wouldn't be shocked if he dropped similarly to how Fowler did last year. I personally expect Boston to draft a d-man this year.

Except Shremp wasnt or isnt nearly as good defensively as Couturier or as physical.
Where have you heard concern over Couturier's work ethic?

arsmaster*

Except Shremp wasnt or isnt nearly as good defensively as Couturier or as physical.
Where have you heard concern over Couturier's work ethic?

I dont believe it is work ethic questions, its that he doesnt "look" like he is working hard, because he works smart from what I can tell.

He gets this knock because he isnt flashy, he isnt the first guy in on the forecheck, but is usually where the puck is going to end up.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I believe you meant the Jonathon Toews draft, right?

No, I meant the Jordan Staal draft, since Couturier has been compared to him both by himself and by scouts. Toews didn't go 1st overall or have anything to do with Couturier, so wouldn't make much sense to use that label.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad