Line Combos: Bob McKenzie's Expected Lines.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Here fixed it for you.

For us to upgrade on Phaneuf we would need a top 10-15D in the league, would dealing Kessel/Kadri/Gardiner/Rielly/Lupul or whom ever be worth what would be a slight upgrade? (i say slight because the top 5 or so D likely wouldnt be available regardless of the package). The only way we can upgrade Phaneuf without dismantling our team is internally which is plausible, however a #2 D can be acquired much sooner, is much more realistic, and 1 is usually available at the trade deadline or FA.

ForSpareParts*

I can't see Colborne being strong enough defensively to carry two enforcers even if it's just for a few minutes a night , if RC dresses both I see Mac as there center .

Pretty much this. I love Orr and McLaren but they need McClement

leafstilldeath*

For us to upgrade on Phaneuf we would need a top 10-15D in the league, would dealing Kessel/Kadri/Gardiner/Rielly/Lupul or whom ever be worth what would be a slight upgrade? (i say slight because the top 5 or so D likely wouldnt be available regardless of the package). The only way we can upgrade Phaneuf without dismantling our team is internally which is plausible, however a #2 D can be acquired much sooner, is much more realistic, and 1 is usually available at the trade deadline or FA.

Any no.2 D we sign or trade for will automatically become our 1D. Dion gets too much credit when he isnt doing much. Dion is a fine D but not a no. 1 D by any means

Look at the stanley cup champs for the last 5 years except the Pens ( still they had Hal Gill better t his job than Phaneuf) everybody had a stud D

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Very true however we are entering a point in development where parts become expendable, we can make deals for the big name players to complete the roster as soon as we can get Kessel, Gardiner, Phaneuf and Reimer all signed. Again easier said than done but it won't be long until we are the team trading for the Kovalchuck or signing the Brad Richards etc. etc.

Ya I agree. We would benefit so much having some capable playing #2 minutes too.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
id be interested to see

kulemin-bolland-mclemment
raymond-colborne-orr

many people seem to think kulemin-bolland-raymond is the way to go but imo this would be an elite checking shutdown line. while mclemment probably tops out at around 20-25 points, its not out of the question for kulemin and bolland to put 35-40 points on the 3rd line.

raymond has arguably never been the same since his back was broken. im not sure if he can handle going up against other teams top players in a checking defensive roll. by putting him with colborne, colborne has someone with a little talent to go along with orr. this line likely will only see 6-8 mins of ice time anyways. as long as they arent a liability it will be fine.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
id be interested to see

kulemin-bolland-mclemment
raymond-colborne-orr

many people seem to think kulemin-bolland-raymond is the way to go but imo this would be an elite checking shutdown line. while mclemment probably tops out at around 20-25 points, its not out of the question for kulemin and bolland to put 35-40 points on the 3rd line.

raymond has arguably never been the same since his back was broken. im not sure if he can handle going up against other teams top players in a checking defensive roll. by putting him with colborne, colborne has someone with a little talent to go along with orr. this line likely will only see 6-8 mins of ice time anyways. as long as they arent a liability it will be fine.

Not that I wish injuries upon Kadri or Bozak but I really hope that Jumbo Joe gets a bit of time in the top 6.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Raymond - Bolland - Kulemin
Colborne/McClement - Colborne/McClement - Orr
McLaren

That is what I would like to see. As much as I love McLaren, I would really like to see that lineup. You know there will be injuries so Colborne will move up the depth chart and get more ice time, and McLaren will crack the lineup.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
McLaren-McClement - Orr

Dion-Gunnar
Gardiner-Ranger
Fraser-Franson

Winner-Winner-Chicken Dinner

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
McLaren scored 3 goals 2 assist playing limited minutes in 36 games

Over a full season thats 8 goals 5 assists offence from a guy who can also skate very well and hits hugely...on the fourth line..

I think he is not in any way a liability...way outscored the multitude of 4th line softies we had last 4 years

daner

Feb 18, 2009
McLaren scored 3 goals 2 assist playing limited minutes in 36 games

Over a full season thats 8 goals 5 assists offence from a guy who can also skate very well and hits hugely...on the fourth line..

I think he is not in any way a liability...way outscored the multitude of 4th line softies we had last 4 years

Love McLaren as much as most people but I do remember 2 of those goals deflecting in off him into the net (so some luck was involved). I don't think he will reach 8 unless he's playing with a Kessel, Lupul, Kadri, etc but you never know (even Domi had a 15 goal season!). He was an even +/- last year which is good for a 4th liner enforcer.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm fine with Tyler bozak's AAV, but I find the length (like Clarkson's) is too long.

If the oppourtunity arises too get a guy like Joe Thornton for example, do we include Bozak in that deal? What if in two years, some stud Center is a FA, Bozak blocks us of that.

I'm a fan of Bozak, I like the guy, and think he gets **** on way too much, and he IS the better fit them Grabo, but 4 years, seems like 1 or 2 seasons too much.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
McClement - Bolland - Kulemin
McLaren - Colborne - Orr

Gunner - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Ranger
Fraser - Franson

Raymond, Liles, Brennan, Holzer, Rielly all trying to break into the line-up.

Thought I would share this. From TSN.ca Leafs preview video.

So in my opinion we are looking at something like:
Line 1 = 85 goals
Line 2 = 65 goals
Line 3 = 35 goals
Line 4 = 10 goals (feel like I'm being pretty generous here)
Defense = 40 goals

Total of 235 goals which would be good for about 10th in the NHL if the last few season are any indicator. Not bad, but I do still worry about our defense. That current line up I feel will end up relying heavily on Ranger and I'm not sure if he is ready.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
To me, I think putting Gardiner - Franson together, and then Rielly - Ranger together as our 3rd pairing (Ranger and Gunner can be switched should we see Ranger going back to the level he played in Tampa) would improve the production of our defense.

Ranger and Gardiner played great together in the AHL, I think he could do wonders paired with Rielly.

Phaneuf - Gunner
Gardiner - Franson
Rielly - Ranger
Fraser, Liles

Is what I would like to see, obviously pending on how Rielly preforms.

I do think Liles is tradeable, and Nonis is waiting until he gets Franson on a deal he likes before making the move.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Trade Gunnarsson
Franson at $3.5M
Raymond at $1.25M
$839K left in cap space

van Riemsdyk - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Colborne - McClement - McLaren
Orr

Ranger - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Franson
Rielly - Fraser
Liles

Bernier
Reimer

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
sign gunner then trade him next month, did u even think

He was signed as a RFA.

There is no clause in his contract that restricts the team from trading him. If Liles cannot be moved and Nonis wants to keep Kulemin and bring back Franson, Gunnarsson may become expandable. Especially if Paul Ranger and Morgan Rielly play well and earn a spot on the team.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
So in my opinion we are looking at something like:
Line 1 = 85 goals
Line 2 = 65 goals
Line 3 = 35 goals
Line 4 = 10 goals (feel like I'm being pretty generous here)
Defense = 40 goals

Total of 235 goals which would be good for about 10th in the NHL if the last few season are any indicator. Not bad, but I do still worry about our defense. That current line up I feel will end up relying heavily on Ranger and I'm not sure if he is ready.

3rd Line should be able to get more than 35 goals. Maybe I'm just optimistic but kulemin and bolland should get that amount them 2 alone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad