McKenzie: Bob McKenzie via Frank Seravalli: Lucic met with the Dallas Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
That's like asking why the Oilers constantly draft forwards.

You need to assess the team's situation or take the time to read analysis from the team's fans, like this one posted just a little while ago

Well, we do need depth on wing in the top-six. Sharp will likely not return after this season and we can't expect our 2nd line to be comparably potent with Spezza centering Eakin and Janmark. Ideally Nichushkin and Brett Ritchie should be on the RW on the top two lines, but neither of them has shown the kind of skills or finish thus far. I just am not sure Lucic is the person to bring the kind of offensive skills we are looking for; definitely not for his asking price which may be $6M+.

defensorfidei

Jun 4, 2014
I really really really think this is Gaglardi driving up the price for Vancouver as part of the rivalry with the Aquilini fam.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Tons of teams are interested in Lucic, But with Hall moved for Larsson. I think it's safe to say that Lucic is signing with Edmonton.

That's hard to say. It's not like the Oilers strengthened their bargaining position with Lucic yesterday. And nothing binding can be agreed on until tomorrow.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
Tons of teams are interested in Lucic, But with Hall moved for Larsson. I think it's safe to say that Lucic is signing with Edmonton.

While I honestly agree with you, to say anything that has happened thus far was a given before it happened would be completely outlandish

People said it was safe to say Stammer wasn't staying with the Lightning after a year long wait and boom

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Why would we move Sharp, though? He's been great for us, likely getting an A next year, fits our system better, I prefer having him around our younger guys... I'd be upset if the return isn't stellar, should that be the case.

We miss that really physical type player on the offensive zone. Yes we have Roussel but he is more a pest that a powerful physical player. He will make room for other players to score and he can still net a few himself. I think Dallas is more on the cusp of getting further in the playoffs than the Oilers.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
He's going to get paid.

It is sounding like 7x6.

As. Canuck fan I have no interest in bringing him home for that term. Last 3-4 years of that contract are going to hurt. Power forwards don't age well and he is already a bit slow.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Wow, stars would be stacked up front w him.

Benn-Seguin-???
Lucic-Spezza-Sharp
doesn't even matter who's first line RW (idk Stars depth chart that well). That's two first lines

the last top 6 spot could go to Nuke, Eakin, Janmark or Ritchie (with a good camp). Management loves Eakin and Faksa should be 3C. I would not be surprised to see us start with a Benn-Eakin-Seguin frist line as much as I hate that combination

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It is sounding like 7x6.

As. Canuck fan I have no interest in bringing him home for that term. Last 3-4 years of that contract are going to hurt. Power forwards don't age well and he is already a bit slow.

where are you hearing the contract details?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Dallas doesn't appear to have the cap space to field a very competitive offer here.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Dallas doesn't appear to have the cap space to field a very competitive offer here.

They have plenty of cap space. Not only that, but Im guessing if they do end up signing Lucic they will probably try and trade away at least one forward, maybe two.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Easy. You trade Neimi+Nuke to Pittsburgh for MAF+ a pick.

After the next season, there is expansion draft. Teams get to protect just one goalie. That means that if they are not UFAs before the 2017-18 season, they are free to be picked by Las Vegas. Or am I wrong? At least that's the way I understand that. Anyway, I wonder how will those teams solve those situations. Dallas has Niemi and Lehtonen, Tampa has Bishop and Vasilevsky, Pittsburgh has Murray and Fleury, Arizona has Smith and Lindback, the Flyers have Mason and Neuvirth.....the Blues already made a move, by trading Elliott to Calgary. Anaheim traded Anderson to Toronto. The thing is, if you move Bishop or Fleury to Dallas, for Lehtonen or Niemi, how does that changes their situation? They will be having the same problem again. Even if a goalie is UFA after the next season, his respective team sure won't be risking losing them for nothing, so I expect a lot of goaltender moving this season.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
After the next season, there is expansion draft. Teams get to protect just one goalie. That means that if they are not UFAs before the 2017-18 season, they are free to be picked by Las Vegas. Or am I wrong? Anyway, I wonder how will those teams solve those situations. Dallas has Niemi and Lehtonen, Tampa has Bishop and Vasilevsky, Pittsburgh has Murray and Fleury, Arizona has Smith and Lindback, the Flyers have Mason and Neuvirth.....the Blues already made a move, by trading Elliott to Calgary. Anaheim traded Anderson to Toronto. The thing is, if you move Bishop or Fleury to Dallas, how does that changes their situation? They will be having the same problem again. Even if a goalie is UFA after the next season, his respective team sure won't be risking losing them for nothing, so I expect a lot of goaltender moving this season.

Except there aren't a bunch of landing spots for goalies to move to, really just Dallas, Philly if they don't want Mason or Neuvirth, Vancouver if they don't want Markstrom, and NYI if they don't want Halak or Greiss. Somebody is going to be left without a chair when the music stops.

Also our goalies are not worth protecting. They might be as good or better than some of the other exposed goalies but the stats and their contracts make their chances of selection remote.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Rumors are lucic may be making 6.5 million x 7 years.

scared.gif

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
I don't understand any interest in Lucic from the Dallas end.

Sure he'd be fun to watch on our 3rd/4th line, and a nice acquisition us at $3.5M AAV and no NMC. But we all know that those terms are completely unreasonable.

I'm not in a panic over the Stars defense/goaltending situation right now, but I can't see any wisdom in using our cap space to add a high priced forward.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
If the Oilers traded Hall to make room for him and he signs elsewhere..........

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

Sure he'd be fun to watch on our 3rd/4th line, and a nice acquisition us at $3.5M AAV and no NMC. But we all know that those terms are completely unreasonable.

I'm not in a panic over the Stars defense/goaltending situation right now, but I can't see any wisdom in using our cap space to add a high priced forward.

Right now, 2 division rivals are eying him, Edmonton and Vancouver. Worth it to meet with him and try to drive up the price.

Also, signing him could allow Dallas to move a forward for G or D help.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands

Agreed. Doesn't hurt to show any interest, but the priorities lay elsewhere..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad