Speculation: Bob McKenzie: MSL wants a trade and will only move to NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
My hope is the relationship between Marty/Steve is warming a bit. I would imagine Yzerman has reached out to Marty, and perhaps, let's hope, since the story has gone public Marty has been given a different perspective. Most people aren't on his side in this, and that might have made him think twice. That's the hope anyway. If trade talks were heating up, I think there'd be leaks from the other end, particularly if it's New York.

I doubt it. I just wached the The Sportsnet panel (Theo Fleury, Marty Turco, Marty McSorley and Brian Lawton) are all on the side of Marty the egotistical baby.

They all think he's completely justified because Yzerman didn't usurp the selection process and play politics to ensure "his" guy got what he wanted.

They all said because Marty showed "loyalty" to Tampa in the past by not going to free agency, so since Marty wants out, the Lightning should just give Marty what he wants and it's "too bad" for Yzerman and the Tampa organization that he only is giving them one option and won't get fair value for him, but oh well, MSL should get what he wants because he's a class guy.

Seriously.

Makes me sick. Such a selfish little primadonna baby and all the ex-hockey guys think his behavior is completely acceptable.

I'm only in agreement for the exact opposite reason. I'm almost ready to say just get rid off him even though it will screw the organization because MSL has proven himself to be such a selfish baby that I just want him gone and off the team so he can't be a cancer.

I hate giving a petulant child what he wants, but I have absolutely no respect for this immature egomaniac. I can't root for someone who is so petty and ridiculous and so focused on himself and nothing else.

Last edited:

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I love how people's opinions change so quickly. One day, one of the most, if not THE most respected player in the league. Multiple Lady Byngs, multiple Art Rosses, MVP, etc etc... the next day, the scum of the league, a prima donna baby.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
I love how people's opinions change so quickly. One day, one of the most, if not THE most respected player in the league. Multiple Lady Byngs, multiple Art Rosses, MVP, etc etc... the next day, the scum of the league, a prima donna baby.

Don't worry, the "hockey guys" still think he's Mr. Classy. So much so that they are saying the Lightning's only goal should be giving the primadonna MSL whatever he wants and oh well, too bad if it's a horrible deal for TB. The only thing that matters is MSL ego and what MSL wants.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I doubt it. I just wached the The Sportsnet panel (Theo Fleury, Marty Turco, Marty McSorley and Brian Lawton) are all on the side of Marty the egotistical baby.

They all think he's completely justified because Yzerman didn't usurp the selection process and play politics to ensure "his" guy got what he wanted.

They all said because Marty showed "loyalty" to Tampa in the past by not going to free agency, so since Marty wants out, the Lightning should just give Marty what he wants and it's "too bad" for Yzerman and the Tampa organization that he only is giving them one option and won't get fair value for him, but oh well, MSL should get what he wants because he's a class guy.

Seriously.

Makes me sick. Such a selfish little primadonna baby and all the ex-hockey guys think his behavior is completely acceptable.

I'm only in agreement for the exact opposite reason. I'm almost ready to say just get rid off him even though it will screw the organization because MSL has proven himself to be such a selfish baby that I just want him gone and off the team so he can't be a cancer.

That would be the first major news source I've seen siding with St. Louis on the situation. The HC@N guys thought it was laughable, and the TSN guys had pretty harsh words.

FWIW, though I think Marty is very much out of line here, I think this is sort of what makes him such a great player. He IS fiery and emotional and reactionary. We benefited from it for years and now it's biting us a bit.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
Any channel that hires Brian Lawton should not be taken seriously. Just as NBC should not be taken seriously as they have Mike Milbury.

I'd still be strongly in favor of trading St.Louis even if he relents on his trade demand IF we can get a fair package. If he has any second guessing in wanting to be here then I don't want him here.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Any channel that hires Brian Lawton should not be taken seriously. Just as NBC should not be taken seriously as they have Mike Milbury.

I'd still be strongly in favor of trading St.Louis even if he relents on his trade demand IF we can get a fair package. If he has any second guessing in wanting to be here then I don't want him here.

Well if he gives up his trade demand, it would mean he wants to be here, no?

Might as well trade Stamkos too because he hesitated to re-sign his contract right away.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Seriously.

I hate giving a petulant child what he wants, but I have absolutely no respect for this immature egomaniac. I can't root for someone who is so petty and ridiculous and so focused on himself and nothing else.

Really shows how much of a fan you are doesn't it, let me guess you're also the type of guy who jumps off the bandwagon when your team starts sucking too right?

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I still support Marty on a personal and professional level. Athletes, and Marty moreso than most, are hyper competitive. You didn't expect him to be pissed off? We almost all would've been in his position. Let's just cut the crap here. Has he given up his "trade demand"? Was it really a trade demand in the first place? Who the hell knows...

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Really shows how much of a fan you are doesn't it, let me guess you're also the type of guy who jumps off the bandwagon when your team starts sucking too right?

I've always been a fan of smaller players getting a chance and proving people wrong. I love it.

However, this reveals MSL' true character. It's so petty, so childish/immature and ridiculous.

I don't care how much of a fan I was of someone before, if they pulled this stunt, I'd lose all respect for them.

MSL had a choice in how he handled the whole Olympic team thing and he chose a completely selfish and classless way.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
I still support Marty on a personal and professional level. Athletes, and Marty moreso than most, are hyper competitive. You didn't expect him to be pissed off? We almost all would've been in his position. Let's just cut the crap here. Has he given up his "trade demand"? Was it really a trade demand in the first place? Who the hell knows...

Oh come on with the "unanswered" questions. MSL' comments when asked about it revealed the truth and everyone who is not in denial knows that.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
Well if he gives up his trade demand, it would mean he wants to be here, no?

Might as well trade Stamkos too because he hesitated to re-sign his contract right away.

The fact that he asked to be traded is enough for me to consider trading him. I can't even imagine being a captain of a team and demanding a trade because a group of management made me the final cut of the hardest team to make in the world.

Stamkos is a completely different situation.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think we will find out in the next couple days how serious this is. Because if he's truly a distraction then he will be traded. Yzerman will do what's best for this team. However no matter what happens I don't think we the fans really should be upset with Marty. Without him we don't win a Stanley Cup. He's been a great competitor here. However I don't think we should just let him go for nothing. But if he truly is available it won't be for nothing. He's a great player and if a team really wants him then they will give up something good for him. Not crazy but something that will help us in the future. Which is where I believe the team is gonna be at it's best anyways. It sure as hell won't win with a distraction on its team this season.

BUT I don't think he gets traded and I think those morons on TV and on Twitter are just trying to stir the pot. I think Marty is still pissed but ready to move on. And is fine being on the Lightning still. This team still has a chance to win it all this year if they all get on the same page. It's worth a shot and a challenge I don't think MSL would back down from. Adversity is one of mankinds best motivators and we all know how MSL plays when he's pissed off. Solid leverage to help a team out who can go far if the right things fall into place.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I'm moving into the same kind of camp that DFC is in right now as well. I know the jedi wizardry of Yzerman can always mean that silence is a double-edged sword, but it seems to me personally in this case that the calming of the storm is an indication that it has passed, not that we're merely in the eye of it. Marty scored two goals in two games immediately after the break. I'm really hoping that all it really took was getting back on the ice and getting those competitive juices flowing that allowed everyone to move on, if at least for now, from the rumors off the ice. Marty is on a 40 goal pace right now. There's simply no way this team can afford to move him. And I'm still hopeful that MSL knows how important he is to his team and his teammates and that the silence is a sign that cooler heads have now prevailed.

Isn't the trade deadline at 3PM on Wednesday? I mean, I know it's Wed., just the specific time of the day. If so, that time still can't come fast enough. Just to ease whatever remaining nerves I might personally have about all of this.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The fact that he asked to be traded is enough for me to consider trading him. I can't even imagine being a captain of a team and demanding a trade because a group of management made me the final cut of the hardest team to make in the world.

Stamkos is a completely different situation.

It's just ridiculous how fast people turn on a player who's given his all here (not you specifically), no MSL, no cup for Tampa, I highly doubt Vinny has his 2 big years that he lives off of without MSL either, and Stamkos obviously wouldn't be as renowned as he is now.

If MSL wants to go to NY, that's fine, if he wants to stay here, even better, but until he's traded he's still a Lightning and still giving it his all on the ice. Any of his teammates who get "distracted" or "disheartened" by this and results in sloppy play are the ones who need to grow up. It's a cop-out to say this teams being distracted by the MSL situation when just about all of these kids know how lucky their are to have made it this far and how they still have no guarantees yet in the NHL.

Might be a different story with the Vets, but they're smart enough to know that MSL isn't the one signing their paychecks.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's just ridiculous how fast people turn on a player who's given his all here (not you specifically), no MSL, no cup for Tampa, I highly doubt Vinny has his 2 big years that he lives off of without MSL either, and Stamkos obviously wouldn't be as renowned as he is now.

If MSL wants to go to NY, that's fine, if he wants to stay here, even better, but until he's traded he's still a Lightning and still giving it his all on the ice. Any of his teammates who get "distracted" or "disheartened" by this and results in sloppy play are the ones who need to grow up. It's a cop-out to say this teams being distracted by the MSL situation when just about all of these kids know how lucky their are to have made it this far and how they still have no guarantees yet in the NHL.

Might be a different story with the Vets, but they're smart enough to know that MSL isn't the one signing their paychecks.

In one breath you're angry with people who are insulting Marty St. Louis, and in the next you're insulting Vinny Lecavalier.

I think most of us are hoping St. Louis remains a Lightning player, but at the same time, it's more than reasonable that fans are upset with him. And a lot of them/us are showing the same emotion toward him right now that he showed toward the organization: fiery and reactionary.

We can still respect what St. Louis has done and accept the fact that in this particular case, he's acting unprofessionally. He doesn't have to be 100% a saint or 100% a demon. Fans have every right to call him on it, because as much as he's done for Tampa, let's not forget he was very well-paid to do it.

I want nothing more than for St. Louis to remain with the team and for all of this mess to wind up water under the bridge. But if MSL manages to force a trade to NYR in which we get screwed? Sorry, but he won't be viewed the same.

And also, locker room distractions do exist and they do have an effect. Otherwise Sean Avery would still be in the NHL. There's a pretty good example of one going on in Vancouver right now, and Vancouver players admitted there were big distractions last year with the Luongo situation.

We don't really know what the lockerroom situation is. Still All In said he believes the MSL situation isn't causing a negative effect, and I'm inclined to believe him. But I also think it's a pretty heavy coincidence that we haven't looked very good since the request happened. Hopefully that's due to injuries etc.

Ultimately, if management judges St. Louis's presence isn't having a negative effect on his teammates, then we'll probably keep him regardless of what he wants.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I agree completely, I have no negativity towards MSL. Guy has done nothing but give it his all in every game he's played here. And like I said before without him there is no Stanley cup in 04. Not a chance.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
If MSL wants to stay, then you keep him. It's clear that the rumors haven't been a massive distraction since they came out, and Marty has played as hard as ever. If he wants a trade, you only move him if the deal makes sense, and if there isn't a deal at the TD, wait until the offseason to do something. Yzerman is far from having a gun to his head in this situation.

Boomer26

Mar 3, 2014
Laval Quebec
I've always been a fan of smaller players getting a chance and proving people wrong. I love it.

However, this reveals MSL' true character. It's so petty, so childish/immature and ridiculous.

I don't care how much of a fan I was of someone before, if they pulled this stunt, I'd lose all respect for them.

MSL had a choice in how he handled the whole Olympic team thing and he chose a completely selfish and classless way.

Funny I would of thought exactly the opposite. Could you please tell me what was said when Marty and Yzerman sat together when he became the GM and had left Marty off the Canadian team in 2010.

Marty has done everything he possibly could for the Lightning and now he had enough and wants to do something for him and we can't possibly accept it because he his not doing something we want.

He has never gotten the respect he deserves here in Tampa. Never was he the top guy at the bank but sure was at the end of the years when the points where counted.

After reading a lot of the post, I can see that it wasn't real respect you lightning fans had toward Marty.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Funny I would of thought exactly the opposite. Could you please tell me what was said when Marty and Yzerman sat together when he became the GM and had left Marty off the Canadian team in 2010.

Marty has done everything he possibly could for the Lightning and now he had enough and wants to do something for him and we can't possibly accept it because he his not doing something we want.

He has never gotten the respect he deserves here in Tampa. Never was he the top guy at the bank but sure was at the end of the years when the points where counted.

After reading a lot of the post, I can see that it wasn't real respect you lightning fans had toward Marty.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Yzlamic Preacher*

So your point is since you weren't there you don't know. You aren't a fan in this forum and you probably don't live in Tampa, yet you have the ability to generalize the whole fan base, all the while not being here. Well done :handclap:

Boomer26

Mar 3, 2014
Laval Quebec
Well from what I have been reading, Marty is very immature, selfish and has the biggest ego. Yet that is so far from the truth.

We are very upset that he might want to move on to some other team for personal reasons. That has been going on for what two months and look he might be one of the top scorer in the league during those two months.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well from what I have been reading, Marty is very immature, selfish and has the biggest ego. Yet that is so far from the truth.

We are very upset that he might want to move on to some other team for personal reasons. That has been going on for what two months and look he might be one of the top scorer in the league during those two months.

Yeah, but the team hasn't performed very well in that time.

If people are being a bit reactionary toward Marty, it's to be expected. The situation is still pretty fresh. You have to keep in mind, about 48 hours ago, most of us thought we might have to swallow a MSL for Ryan Callahan deal that was being forced by MSL.

Marty's response toward Yzerman was emotional and reactionary, and he's getting the same thing from the fanbase. And now you're being emotional and reactionary toward the fanbase for being emotional and reactionary. Vicious cycle. ;)

No one wants MSL to go. And if he leaves, all we ask is he not screw the team on the way out.

Yzlamic Preacher*

So out of the the few posts, specifically JamieG, who are absolutely disgusted by the situation, you managed to generalize the whole fan base. That would be like me calling all Canuck fans idiots because of the way they overvalued Luongo. Also to sit there on your high horse and tell the fan base that they aren't allowed to be hurt and shocked by what happened or will happen is just as pretentious as your original comment of telling us we have no respect for Marty.

You have a right to your opinion and other people have the right to theirs. You don't know what others think and feel about that situation and you have no right to think you do by making such a comment. You obviously came to troll, hence the fact you have a new account and your handle is Boomer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad