Bob Mckenzie Final Rankings

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Is it just me or is Tkachuk just insanely overrated due to WJC? I know he's an agressive physical player but how much value does he actually bring? He couldn't even pot 10 goals in 40 games (What's worse is that's in the NCAA) while logging 61 PIM. All the scouting reports I read go on about his physical play and getting to the dirty areas, but I have yet to read anything about skill (stickhandling, shooting, smart with the puck etc...). As the draft gets past the first round, skill becomes more and more diluted, so why waste the 3rd or 4th overall on a player that couldn't score in the NCAA? If you want that physicality, why not wait until later rounds when you can take a 6'4" winger that hits? Or I suppose what I'm really asking, if Tkachuk is supposed to be the "elite grinder/power forward" in this draft, why is he ranked so high? It's also possible I don't know him well enough, I know his assist totals are fine, so is he a playmaker?

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

lawrence

May 19, 2012
As someone said, if his name was Brady smith he wouldn’t be ranked this high. It also has to do with hype since so many sources have him ranked so high, other sources want to follow the trend and also have him ranked high. It’s like ty smith. No one dares to put him into the conversation of Dobson,boqvist,Bouchard,Hughes, so he’s stuck as the odd man out. Just like no one dares questioning his 8 goal performance as a top 6 role In Boston. It’s hype.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

84oiler

Jun 29, 2016
Hey guys. Just wanted to say whatever team drafts Liam Foudy will be getting a steal down the road. I had the pleasure of watching him for a few years when my son was a linemate of his. He has been getting better and better with each passing year, elite level athlete, great work ethic and great hockey sense. Plays both ends of the ice and skating/speed is top notch. Liam,like is parents (mom - Olympic athlete, dad- track/CFL DB) was a track star here in T.O and that will certainly translate to the ice. Not sure which line he projects to be on long term but would not be surprised to see him develop as a 2C down the road

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Tkachuk had an unusually low shooting percentage and I believe also very good possession stats. When you account for those two things, he performed better than his counting stats would lead you to believe. I'm not saying the other stuff is invalid, but I think that's part of the puzzle for why people rate him so highly, despite unexceptional goal / point production.

Reactions: deflowd

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
Tkachuk had an unusually low shooting percentage and I believe also very good possession stats. When you account for those two things, he performed better than his counting stats would lead you to believe. I'm not saying the other stuff is invalid, but I think that's part of the puzzle for why people rate him so highly, despite unexceptional goal / point production.
What most individuals disregard is that Brady is playing at a higher level than, not only most his draft cohorts, but other American NCAA players. It is actually quite rare that players play in the NCAA prior to being drafted, as many play in the USHL, like Mittelstadt or Keller.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I bet if you looked at Matthews prospect thread predraft it would say a lot of the same stuff people on here are saying about Brady. Now Matthewsis looking like he has a good shot at being the third best player from his draft year.

I dont know if I would take him top 3, but his point total as a young guy in the NCAA isnt the reason

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
As someone said, if his name was Brady smith he wouldn’t be ranked this high. It also has to do with hype since so many sources have him ranked so high, other sources want to follow the trend and also have him ranked high. It’s like ty smith. No one dares to put him into the conversation of Dobson,boqvist,Bouchard,Hughes, so he’s stuck as the odd man out. Just like no one dares questioning his 8 goal performance as a top 6 role In Boston. It’s hype.

Seems like you have it all figured out. Everyone has him ranked high because of group think.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I have some questions about Bob's rankings.

Can anyone answer the following?
1. Are his rankings taken from a representative sample of the 4 divisions?
2. Is there an overemphasis on Canadian Teams?
3. Is there anonymity for the lists? He obviously knows the ten teams involved, but there are ways he could obtain lists without knowing the actual source teams.
4. Do the same 10 teams supply lists every year?

I am just curious.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I have some questions about Bob's rankings.

Can anyone answer the following?
1. Are his rankings taken from a representative sample of the 4 divisions?
2. Is there an overemphasis on Canadian Teams?
3. Is there anonymity for the lists? He obviously knows the ten teams involved, but there are ways he could obtain lists without knowing the actual source teams.
4. Do the same 10 teams supply lists every year?

I am just curious.
From what I understand it's the same 10 teams, 8 are head scouts. I've always felt there's a touch of WHL bias from those he polls. Otherwise no hints of where they are from.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Is it just me or is Tkachuk just insanely overrated due to WJC? I know he's an agressive physical player but how much value does he actually bring? He couldn't even pot 10 goals in 40 games (What's worse is that's in the NCAA) while logging 61 PIM. All the scouting reports I read go on about his physical play and getting to the dirty areas, but I have yet to read anything about skill (stickhandling, shooting, smart with the puck etc...). As the draft gets past the first round, skill becomes more and more diluted, so why waste the 3rd or 4th overall on a player that couldn't score in the NCAA? If you want that physicality, why not wait until later rounds when you can take a 6'4" winger that hits? Or I suppose what I'm really asking, if Tkachuk is supposed to be the "elite grinder/power forward" in this draft, why is he ranked so high? It's also possible I don't know him well enough, I know his assist totals are fine, so is he a playmaker?

Saying the same things they said about his Brother last year, these guys just bring too much intangibles to be ignored. Would like great in Blue and White.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Saying the same things they said about his Brother last year, these guys just bring too much intangibles to be ignored. Would like great in Blue and White.
I mean... Maybe but Matthew wasn't inept offensively, he scored 107 pts in 57 games with London. Which is a tougher league, so he at least has scoring upside. I don't see the scoring upside with Brady not to mention if we assume PP% of 20% then he cost his team 12.2 goals due to penalties while only scoring 8--That's kind of ridiculous.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I mean... Maybe but Matthew wasn't inept offensively, he scored 107 pts in 57 games with London. Which is a tougher league, so he at least has scoring upside. I don't see the scoring upside with Brady not to mention if we assume PP% of 20% then he cost his team 12.2 goals due to penalties while only scoring 8--That's kind of ridiculous.

You need to dig deeper....which is what the pro scouts are doing.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The funny thing is, I like Hughes and Boqvist a tad bit more than Bouchard and Dobson. But I do like them all. D men are hard to find in the NHL. Everyone wants them, and drafting them would be the easiest way to get them. I can see some jockeying from a few partners.
I like Dobson and Hughes then Bouchard then Boqvist

Reactions: Wings4Life

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Tkachuck put up good numbers and possession stats playing against guys 7 year older than he is. He's ready and he's good.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Agreed.

I think he's a case where the "analytics" ironically underrate him (and I am an analytics proponent, I'm not trying to poo-poo on stats here at all).

I did read an article where it mentioned his shooting % is low, and I think some guys who've tracked his games noticed that for those (admittedly small samples) Tkachuk was quite a good player by shot metrics.

If he has a few more goals and ends up around PPG, he's probably an unquestioned top-five pick. And this is coming from a guy who doesn't want the Canucks to pick him at 7. To me, his real flaws are in the projectability of his offensive tools, not that his numbers aren't up to snuff.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Watching pre-draft highlight vids of both Matt and Brady Tkachuk, Brady has more game breaking factor to his game imo, even though his counting stats aren’t as good.

Seeing what Matt has become already at 20 years old makes me pretty confident that Brady will be a very good first line winger in the NHL.

I still have Zadina ahead by a hair, but it’s really a toss-up between those two and Wahlstrom. I’ll probably change my mind by the draft and I’d bet some teams will as well.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Watching pre-draft highlight vids of both Matt and Brady Tkachuk, Brady has more game breaking factor to his game imo, even though his counting stats aren’t as good.

Seeing what Matt has become already at 20 years old makes me pretty confident that Brady will be a very good first line winger in the NHL.

I still have Zadina ahead by a hair, but it’s really a toss-up between those two and Wahlstrom. I’ll probably change my mind by the draft and I’d bet some teams will as well.
I agree its close... I would not include Wahlstrom. I think he is more 8/9/10 like McKenzie's list suggests. Teams will have their lists and have done their homework. They will know who they want between those 3

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Does Brady have the same in-front-of-the-crease ability as his brother Matty? That itself makes him a high pick. I recall the Flames were fawning over that ability during the draft videos and we Oilers fans discovered that when playing against him. Who needs speed if you can play around the net?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad