Bob Mckenzie Final Rankings

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Bob said on the Bobcast 8/10 of his scouts are head scouts and that he trusts these guys. He's basically taking the median of these ranks, not the average. If one is skewed very low or high then he kinda has to curve it so it doesn't really skew the rankings so that's going to hide if a scout tips him off on someone ranked very low or high.

That said, I'm very interested in how these high ranks for Kravtsov and Denisenko translate to reality. There aren't many teams who pull the trigger on Russians from the KHL in the first couple of rounds. Bob had Kostin at 18 and he went 31st.

Do teams do their rankings on talent and then factor in the Russian factor or is the Russian factor considered before they place the player at whatever number. If it's the former that's probably why.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
For whatever reason I can't get McKenzie's rankings to show up on my computer. Can someone either post the whole list or at least 16-25. I assume since list is public this is permissible?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Merkley is going 25 to Leafs
Foudy is going 29 to the Blues.
McBain is going 30 to Red Wings.
Book it.

I hope you are right, squeezing for Mcbain with one of those picks we have 30-36.

I have mentioned that I know a scout who has him top 10. Difference is it means nothing to our rankings, on Bob's it does. FWIW, I've spoken to over 10 scouts about Veleno, majority had him in the 2nd. We have him in the 30's but I think he'll go in the first round. Remember that when a scout says "2nd round" to me, he could have him at 28 or something like that. To a team scout, 28 is s a 2nd rounder because they won't hit 28 on their list until the 2nd round. (this also varies depending on if the scout is a crossover guy or not.)

I got poor reviews on Wilde's interviews and I'd heard over and over since last year that he wouldn't go to school. That news broke today. As for Tychonick, at one of my very first games this year a western based scout told me flat out he wouldn't draft Tychonick and i should ask around. That was my "welcome to the 2018 Draft" kickoff. I hardly heard anything all that negative after the first month or two.

We have Wise at 40. I like him quite a bit but I think that's probably high enough for me.

Don't get too caught up in the later ranked guys, it's a mess for Bob to rank.

Thanks a lot for the additional insight. I am sure there is a wide variance of opinion on Veleno, who has been in the spotlight for so long.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Hughes puts up 15 points in his final 15 games.
Shuts down the highest scoring line in the NCAA in the tournament
Makes team USA

and he drops.
Very interesting.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Have a feeling we wind up with someone ranked in the top 10. Either through them falling or we trade up.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Makes team USA

and he drops.
Very interesting.
There were some rumblings about him rubbing people the wrong way before the combine. I don't think him skipping out on events helped his image. I'd also add, Dobson and Kotkaniemi rising hurt him.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
There were some rumblings about him rubbing people the wrong way before the combine. I don't think him skipping out on events helped his image. I'd also add, Dobson and Kotkaniemi rising hurt him.

Yeah I agree, not even getting measured probably rubbed some people the wrong way.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah I agree, not even getting measured probably rubbed some people the wrong way.
Yeah, also with McKenzie's rankings, a player like Hughes could be divisive due to size and play-style, which will cause a shift. Whereas a guy like Dobson probably sticks to the middle ground a bit more.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Makes team USA

and he drops.
Very interesting.

Personally, not a fan of the fact that he refused to be measured.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
As I'm reading on the Detroit board with some posters salivating over the opportunity to draft Tkachuk, I looked into him a little more...

... I guess looking at stats is a minimal factor, but what the hell is he ranked so highly for? He produced less than Dylan Larkin in the same leagues at the same age, and Larkin was picked at 15.

Larkin in the U.S. U18 team at 17. - 60GP 31G 25A
Tkachuk in the U.S. U18 team at 17. - 61GP 25G 29A

Larkin in the NCAA at 18 - 35 GP 13G 32A
Tkachuk in the NCAA at 18 - 40GP 8G 31A

I understand he plays with a serious edge... I just don't get how a guy with those stats is a consensus top 5 pick in a draft this deep.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As I'm reading on the Detroit board with some posters salivating over the opportunity to draft Tkachuk, I looked into him a little more...

... I guess looking at stats is a minimal factor, but what the hell is he ranked so highly for? He produced less than Dylan Larkin in the same leagues at the same age, and Larkin was picked at 15.

Larkin in the U.S. U18 team at 17. - 60GP 31G 25A
Tkachuk in the U.S. U18 team at 17. - 61GP 25G 29A

Larkin in the NCAA at 18 - 35 GP 13G 32A
Tkachuk in the NCAA at 18 - 40GP 8G 31A

I understand he plays with a serious edge... I just don't get how a guy with those stats is a consensus top 5 pick in a draft this deep.
I'd say your overrating how deep the draft is. Its pretty average by draft standards.

Larkin also had way better teammates at the USNTDP. The 1999 crop of USNTDP talent was on the low-end side. Whereas the 96's were quite deep.

If you have an elite center, Tkachuk will bring the best out of him and will be a nightmare to play against. Look at what he did when paired with a guy like Mittelstadt at the U-20's. Unfortunately for Brady, he only had Josh Norris in Plymouth and a rotating cast of centers at BU. He's an extremely smart player, who's only clear flaw is his skating, which should improve and he's a better skater than Matthew Tkachuk at the same age.

Another key point, Larkin would have been a clear top 10 pick in 2014 if people knew what he was going to do in college the next year. Possibly even a top 5 pick. At the USNTDP he was overshadowed by Eichel and to a lesser extent Matthews (promoted mid-year) and Milano.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'd say your overrating how deep the draft is. Its pretty average by draft standards.

I'm loving the defensive depth. Hence why I don't like people freaking out over the possibility of Tkachuk falling.

Larkin also had way better teammates at the USNTDP. The 1999 crop of USNTDP talent was on the low-end side. Whereas the 96's were quite deep.

I'd have to look at the US team. Michigan, though, was ranked 8th Larkin's year as opposed to BU being 2nd for Tkachuk. And Larkin's stats were way better.

If you have an elite center, Tkachuk will bring the best out of him and will be a nightmare to play against. Look at what he did when paired with a guy like Mittelstadt at the U-20's. Unfortunately for Brady, he only had Josh Norris in Plymouth and a rotating cast of centers at BU. He's an extremely smart player, who's only clear flaw is his skating, which should improve and he's a better skater than Matthew Tkachuk at the same age.

Another key point, Larkin would have been a clear top 10 pick in 2014 if people knew what he was going to do in college the next year. Possibly even a top 5 pick. At the USNTDP he was overshadowed by Eichel and to a lesser extent Matthews (promoted mid-year) and Milano.

Fair enough on Larkin. At the moment he's looking like an arguable top five pick that draft, or just outside of it. I just don't like the idea of taking Tkachuk over Dobson (Who won't be there if Tkachuk fell to 6th) or Bouchard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad