Bob Mckenzie Final Rankings

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Hallander @ 59? A bit low, isn't it? Not that I know him very well, but I've seen him much higher. Anyone has any explanations as to why he is ranked this low or why he should be higher?

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Wonder why he is lower than Farabee than most? I don't get that one.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Tkachuk in the top 3 is a joke. Bergevins scouts probably had him at 1 to skew the average rank.

While I agree in that I wouldn't take Tkachuk in the top 3, this is what McKenzie wrote:

"But Tkachuk appears to have that certain something and only one of our 10 scouts surveyed had him outside the top five."

Amongst the NHL scouting community he really seems to be a highly valued player. This hasn't changed all year, and I think him going in the top 5 is quite likely.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
"To no one’s surprise, Dahlin sits atop TSN’s Final Draft Rankings, a unanimous choice as he has been all season long. Ten of 10 NHL scouts surveyed by TSN have the 6-foot-3, 185-pound blueliner in a class all by himself."

Better go ask Sam Cosentino when he gets back with your lunch orders.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
While I agree in that I wouldn't take Tkachuk in the top 3, this is what McKenzie wrote:

"But Tkachuk appears to have that certain something and only one of our 10 scouts surveyed had him outside the top five."

Amongst the NHL scouting community he really seems to be a highly valued player. This hasn't changed all year, and I think him going in the top 5 is quite likely.
I think tkachuk is a "safe" pick and has a low chance of busting. When you draft high, I rather swing for the fences than take a guy I compare to tj oshie. A good player but not a superstar.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Looks like Wilde and Tychonick have dropped a good bit after the Combine interview, so looks like Pronman was right there.

I think Akil Thomas is pretty significantly undervalued at #28, but that's just me.

Also Jake Wise at #52... holy crap, I like him way better than that.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wonder why he is lower than Farabee than most? I don't get that one.

Quoting from the article:

This draft was always going to be wildly unpredictable outside of the top 10 but what has become evident is how much potential variance there is from what we thought we knew earlier in the season.

I think we as fans perceive a bigger difference between say #12 and #16 than there really is. And like others said, Bob polled ten scouts. While that gives us a nice ballpark approximation, it's not like Bob locked ten guys in a room and made them do a ranking. If there's differing opinions on guys in the 5-10 range, you can imagine the differing opinions on the next tier of guys.

Reactions: deflowd

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
I think tkachuk is a "safe" pick and has a low chance of busting. When you draft high, I rather swing for the fences than take a guy I compare to tj oshie. A good player but not s superstar.

I'm in complete agreement. There are a handful of players I'd take before Tkachuk at #3. However Tkachuk just seems like a player that those in the scouting community love, and he's been in the top 5 pretty much all year. I'd honestly be more surprised if he goes outside of the top 5 than in it. Going to be an exciting draft.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I get Kravstov being so high, but can someone explain why Hayton is at 11? Is there something I'm missing here?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Interesting. Starting to really think the top 3 will be Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, and then Tkachuk at 4.

1) It wouldn't surprise me for MTL to also take a D
2)It depends on who is at 4. If its Ott I could see Tkachuk as he is more ready to step in and help next year when they won't have a pick. If its Col then I think it would pretty easily be Zedina as he is exactly what they are looking for.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Foudy and Berggren probably the biggest surprises. O'Brien also much higher than typically ranked, while Addison and Wise are firmly out of the first.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad